Playstation 3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii

chris82

We are all excited about the next generation consoles. The question is "Which one should I buy?" "Should I get one, two, or all three?" Well, here is a little essay to help you choose...

Price:

Xbox 360 Core: $299.99

Xbox 360 Platinum: $399.99

The Xbox 360 Core includes an Xbox 360, wired controller, and Xbox Live Silver.

The Xbox 360 Platinum comes with a wireless controller, a 20gb removable harddrive, a wireless Xbox Live communication headset, and Xbox Live Silver. If you were going to buy all the stuff separately, and get the Core system, you should buy the Platinum, like I am.

Playstation 3 (20 GB): $499.99

Playstation 3 (60 GB): $599.99

The PS3 is more expensive than the Xbox 360 because it is a more powerful system, reads Blu-Ray discs, and supports 1080p resolution, the only console thus far to do so. It will also utilize built-in Bluetooth to (supposedly) support up to seven controllers.

Nintendo Revolution: < $250

While not nearly as powerful as the Xbox 360 or Playstation 3, it is considered by many to be the most innovative. Games will be controlled by a full-motion sensitive controller which allows for much more realistic interaction within games.

Release Dates:

Xbox 360:

The Xbox 360 was released on November 22nd 2005 in the US and Canada, December 2nd 2005 in Europe, and later elsewhere in the world. "Because of a manufacturing bottleneck for having started the massive manufacturing only 69 days before launching, Microsoft was not able to supply enough systems to meet consumer demand in Europe or North America. Many potential customers were not able to procure a console at launch and the lack of availability led to Xbox 360 bundles selling on eBay at grossly inflated prices, with some auctions exceeding US$2000" (Src: Wikipedia)

Playstation 3:

After many delays, the PS3 has a release date of November 17th, 2006 in the US and Canada, March, 2007 in Europe, and later/earlier elsewhere in the world. "Sony announced on September 6, 2006 that the PAL (European and Australasia) launch has been delayed until March, 2007 due to a shortage of diodes used in the Blu-ray drive." (Src: Wikipedia)

Nintendo Wii:

Wii is set to be released on November 19, 2006 in the US and Canada and December 8, 2006 in Europe. The Wii has also plagued with release delays and product hangs, but it looks as if the above mentioned dates are indeed final.

Specs:

Xbox 360:

The Xbox 360 has a three core CPU with each core running at around 3.2 GHz. It has 512mb of RAM and a custom ATi graphics chipset. It's floating point performance is 1terraflopp. It uses single-layer DVD5 and dual layer DVD9 discs and DOES support HD-DVD (movies) with an external add-on which retails for $199 USD

Playstation 3:

The PS3 has a very powerful 7-core "Cell" processor, being co-developed by IBM, Sony, and Toshiba. It has 256mb of RAM and a custom nVidia graphics chipset. It supports DVD, Blu-Ray, PS1 CD-ROM, PS2 CD-ROM, PS2 DVD-ROM, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW, etc...

Nintendo Wii:

It's CPU is a PowerPC based processor codenamed "Broadway" and the GPU is an ATI "Hollywood." The system has a grand total of 88mb of RAM and storage for downloads/saved games/etc is a 512mb chip of built-in memory (which can be expanded courtesy of a built-in SD-card slot. Supports 12 cm Wii Optical Disc and 8 cm GameCube Optical Disc (Src: Wikipedia)

Special Features:

Xbox 360:

The Xbox 360 interface is tabbed vertically. To get to different areas of the system/service, you switch between blades, which each pertain to a different part of the Xbox universe. The Xbox is compatible with many Xbox games, although the hard drive is required to store the emulation profiles for each game. The 360 supports 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i display resolutions, as well as 5.1 chanel surround sound. Every game released on the 360 is required to support these resolutions and constraints, as well as have some form of Xbox Live compatibility.

Playstation 3:

The PS3 has great floating point performance because by an incredible processor. This could pave the way for all sorts of things. It will connect to the PSP, it supports 7 controllers wirelessly on one screen, and will use a cross-bar interface similar to that of the PSP/PSX

Nintendo Wii:

The Wii will play DVD movies/audio CDs and GameCube games as well as Wii games. Of course, the Wii Channels interface has an online channel where classic games for any Nintendo system from the NES to the n64 can be had for Wii Points, a digital currency system similar to Xbox 360 Live's "Microsoft Points." The Wii is also able to be controlled a number of unique ways such as by a remote, a Lightsaber-esque bar, and a shotgun-like zapper.

Xbox 360:

The Xbox 360 will offer two levels of Xbox Live service; Xbox Live Silver and Xbox Live Gold. Xbox Live Silver is free and is preloaded onto every Xbox 360 manufactured. The bad news is that you don't get to play games with it. With silver, you get to audio and text message your friends, and you get access to the marketplace all for free. So think of silver as a Moviefone for games with a giant chat room thrown in. Gold has all the features of silver with the additions of video messaging and online gameplay with it. Gold is paid but pricing is low. Roughly $4.99 USD a month upfront or $49.99 a year. Xbox Live Marketplace is in addition to the service and offers many downloads for Xbox 360, including game demos, trailers, arcade games, themes, pictures, and updates. Some things (such as themes and pictures) have to be purchased using MS Points, but demos, trailers, and updates are usually, if not always, free.

Playstation 3:

The PS3 will offer services similar to Xbox 360 Live. The PS3 cross media bar does feature a web browser and Sony has announced an online service called PlayStation Network Platform, which will be free on all levels and include a modified version of Xfire/something Xfire-like for various match-making facilites, such as Friends Lists, among other features. Users will also be able to download PS1 and PS2 games from the online service for a fee, and a currency system similar to Microsoft Points/Wii Points is expected.

Nintendo Wii:

The Wii seems to have an extremely in-depth online service. There will be a store similar to Xbox Live Marketplace where downloads such as NES/SNES/N64/Genesis/etc... games can be bought for Wii Points. The Wii will also be compatible with a special form of the Opera web browser, available for download on the Wii for free until June 2007 (Purchase afterwards)

Controllers:

Xbox 360:

Take the controller S, move the black and white buttons above the L and R triggers. Move the start and back buttons to the center. Paint it white. There you have it. A pure copycat of the DualShock 2, but still feels nice.

360control2bf.jpg

Playstation 3:

The ol' DualShock controller. Never out of the ordinary. Never uncomfortable. Well the new one comes in a wireless flavor and is motion sensitive to things such as tilts, rotation, etc...

ps3control2pi.jpg

Nintendo Wii:

(UPDATED) A wireless DVD-remote looking controller. It features four face buttons, the two basic a and b, a middle A button, and a B trigger. Turned sideways it looks like an advanced NES controller. It uses motion sensors for alot of controll, and comes with a wired analog stick that plugs into the bottom of the controller.

revcontroller28it.jpg

Games:

Xbox 360

NBA 2K6

NHL 2K6

Top Spin 2

Amped 3

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Call of Duty 2

Quake 4

Tony Hawk's American Wasteland

GUN

Need for Speed Most Wanted

FIFA 06: Road to FIFA World Cup

NBA Live 06

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06

Madden NFL 06

Kameo: Elements of Power

Perfect Dark Zero

Project Gotham Racing 3

Playstation 3

Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII

Call of Duty 3

College Hoops 2K7

Fatal Inertia

F.E.A.R.

Fight Night: Round 3

flOw

Full Auto 2: Battlelines

Genji: Days of the Blade

Madden NFL 07

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance

Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire

NBA 07

NBA 2K7

NHL 2K7

Need for Speed: Carbon

Resistance: Fall of Man

Ridge Racer 7

Sonic the Hedgehog

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2007

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas

Tony Hawk's Project 8

Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom

Nintendo Wii

Barnyard

Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII

Call of Duty 3

Cars

Elebits

Ennichi no Tatsujin

Excite Truck

Far Cry: Vengeance

The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy

GT Pro Series

Happy Feet

Kororinpa

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Machi Kuru Domino

Madden NFL 07

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance

Metal Slug Anthology

Monster 4x4 World Circuit

Necro-Nesia

Need for Speed: Carbon

Open Season

Rampage: Total Destruction

Rapala Tournament Fishing

Rayman Raving Rabbids

Red Steel

SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz

Super Swing Golf PangYa

Tamagotchi's Sparkling President

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent

Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam

Trauma Center: Second Opinion

WarioWare: Smooth Moves

Wii Play

Wii Sports

Wing Island

World Series of Poker

Well there you have it. I know some of this is old news but incase you're prowling the net for news on these consoles, this is a big compilation of it. It will be updated as I find news. Please post your comments about the article. Also post which console(s) you think you will buy.

(CONTRIBUTORS: Spaz)

UPDATE 1: Updated with Xbox 360 Live Gold Pricing

UPDATE 2: Controler info, pics, and game update

©2005-2006 Chris82. 1/3rd of rights reserved.

Most people on first glance seem to want the PS3 - just about everybody I've spoken to has done anyway. But after closer inspection, and Microsoft's heavy promotion and magnitudal previews, in amazing quality, the ability to connect to a PC to become a WMC, and all these extra little things add up to make a much more attractive sytem. Okay the PS3 seems to have a bit more growl in it, and the Revo (Thats just a codename I believe) just is small and looks good.

I agree with Spaz. All three, I say

*goes to New Orleans to loot myself one*

I may get the revolution for heritage (and downloading previous nintendo games), but may get the Xbox 360 for burnout: revenge and perfect dark: zero (or maybe halo 3). Those are the only standout games for now, but I absolutely hate Sony. (don't ask why.)

I am getting the 360...I am looking forward to halo 3.

I will just have to wait the extra months to get gta on the 360..

I still like sony though  Since my comps a sony vio  :gappy:

I just want to know if i can use my old xbox controlers on the 360  :blink:

They ARE going to be using wired controllers, if you get the basic 360. Who knows, maybe they will be the same plugins as the old one. But since the button layout has slightly changed, I'd rather use the new controller.

And who says GTA will even BE for both the PS3 and 360? You really never know.

To be perfectly honest, I could never be arsed with consoles. Okay so i'm like the only person in the entire world not to have a PS2 (including uganda, FYR Macedonia and the southern Mongolian plateau), and i did own an NGC for a week.. until i got bored and took it back. And i did borrow my uncle's PS2 for a couple of weeks once. Other than that, its only been the occasional game at my mates houses and my PC (but a limited games selection)

Okay it would be nice to own an Xbox 360, but I wouldn't buy games for it, and I wouldn't play it enough to warrant buying it. About £400 for the premium console and games, two hundred more for a selection of decent games, another hundred in a couple of months time, another hundred after that. I don't want to spend £800 just on playing games, when i can spend £300 on PC games.

Yea okay I'm sure most of you could counter that easily, but I dont have that sort of money to spend on something that I won't use every single day (like my laptop - which i bought myself). My parents won't buy me anything like that, they don't give me any allowance, they can't treat me anytime. For my birthday i got one single present - that was three bars of chocolate from one of my mates. Money is not something we exactly bathe in, but its something we can get if we need to - I'm sure many people here are in a similar situation. Okay we're not starving or in old clothes, but luxuries only extend to bubble bath and Ritz crackers with Phili - not three multi-hundred pounds boxes that i'll rarely use. I don't have a tv in my room, so i'd have to use the downstairs one.

So yea, consoles aint my thing, but if i can't be arsed to upgrade my desktop (which i never use) or laptop (which would be expensive) then i may just slip a 360 into my collection. I'll wait for the PS3 just in case Sony give us some last-minute stunts. I reckon if they're smart, Sony will suddenly bring about an upsurge of PS3 excitement just around the 360 release. If they do, I'll wait for them.

Ah, Philideplhia cream cheese. Just for your information, cream cheese tastes like shit by itself. I know, I tried eating a stick of it at Disney. :D

An update for you, Chris. The revolution's controller:

A wireless DVD-remote looking controller. It features four face buttons, the two basic a and b, a middle A button, and a B trigger. Turned sideways it looks like an advanced NES controller. It uses motion sensors for alot of controll, and comes with a wired analog stick that plugs into the bottom of the controller. Nintendo says there will be a "shell" it can be inserted into, but no pictures or word on it yet.

Ok, Spaz helped me out with stuff about the Revolution controlers and I found pics for all three. (Yes they are all real, but the PS3 one is still in design meaning it might not be the final product)

They all say that. Just because it's in design doesn't mean it might not be the final product. The actually have molded it and shit. I have REAL pictures of the controller.

I read in Playstation (an Australian game mag) that the ps3 is going to be twice as powerful as the xbox 360. I dont know if its gonna be that much better, but i hope it is. Goooo PS3!!!!!!!

p.s

They also said that comparing the ps2 to the ps3 is like comparing a mini to a rocket ship

• 4 weeks later...

Im getting the XBOX 360. The problem with sony is that they will release the PS3. Then a couple months after they will release a better version of the PS3. I HATE how they release better versions of their game consoles. ( I kno its ofr $$$) But all the other systems (excluding the gameboy) does not do this. (please correct me if im worng) but i can wait on the ps3. And for the revo....no.

I've pre-ordered the $400 version of the Xbox 360, and have pre-ordered Perfect Dark Zero. I can't decide which game I want next though. I'm dissapointed that the Xbox 360 is going to be white, yet at the same time I like it. I'm not quite sure how to explain that. Anyways, I don't think it's even worth getting the $300 version of the Xbox 360, cause the hard drive itself costs $100 (last I heard). Plus you get a universal remote, a wireless controller, and some chrome lining or something.

• 1 month later...
I read in Playstation (an Australian game mag) that the ps3 is going to be twice as powerful as the xbox 360. I dont know if its gonna be that much better, but i hope it is. Goooo PS3!!!!!!!

p.s

They also said that comparing the ps2 to the ps3 is like comparing a mini to a rocket ship

Of coures they will say that PS3 is gonna be better then Xbox 360 they dont even know that for sure they just saying that because its a playstation mag they cant just go Xbox 360 is gonna be better PS3 in a playstation mag nobody will buy the mag if they read that I wanna get both the same.

• 5 months later...