Playstation 3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii

chris82

We are all excited about the next generation consoles. The question is "Which one should I buy?" "Should I get one, two, or all three?" Well, here is a little essay to help you choose...

Price:

Xbox 360 Core: $299.99

Xbox 360 Platinum: $399.99

The Xbox 360 Core includes an Xbox 360, wired controller, and Xbox Live Silver.

The Xbox 360 Platinum comes with a wireless controller, a 20gb removable harddrive, a wireless Xbox Live communication headset, and Xbox Live Silver. If you were going to buy all the stuff separately, and get the Core system, you should buy the Platinum, like I am.

Playstation 3: $399.99

The PS3 is more expensive than the Xbox 360 because it is a more powerful system, and it reads Blu-Ray discs. It is not yet known if it will come with a harddrive, but Sony is going to take a loss of at least $1.9 Billion making them, which it hopes to make back with software sales.

Nintendo Revolution: $250-299?

Not much is known about this system, except that it is not nearly as powerful as either the new Xbox or Playstation. (Step on yourself, Nintendo?) Because of this, one would assume it would cost less.

Release Date:

Xbox 360:

The Xbox 360 is supposed to be released Holidays 2005. Most likely late November. I am speculating that it will be released on November 24th, 2005. (My birthday is December 5th, so I'll be sure to have you guys a 360 review by the 7th) The Xbox is going to be the first next-gen console released.

Playstation 3:

Sony claims this will be released in America in April, 2006. Bill Gates however wants to release Halo 3 around June 3rd, which he claims is the PS3 release. So I'm guess this will be out in Q2 2006.

Nintendo Revolution:

Nintendo was quiet when asked about a release date, but a possible one was leaked. It is Spring 2006. (Vague, eh?) I'd say Q2 2006 for this also.

Specs:

Xbox 360:

The Xbox 360 has a three core CPU with each core running at around 3.2 GHz. It has 512mb of RAM and a custom ATi graphics chipset. It's floating point performance is 1terraflopp. It uses single-layer DVD5 and dual layer DVD9 discs and DOES NOT support Blu-Ray or HD-DVD.

Playstation 3:

The PS3 has a very powerful "Cell" processor, being co-developed by IBM, Sony, and Toshiba. It has 256mb of RAM and a custom nVidia graphics chipset. It supports DVD5, DVD9, Blu-Ray, PS1 CD-ROM, PS2 CD-ROM, PS2 DVD-ROM, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW, etc...

Nintendo Revolution:

Very little is known about this. It will use standard DVD5 and DVD9 discs but will support Gamecube discs as well.

Special Features:

Xbox 360:

It has a great interface with party mode for songs. It supports streaming music from the iPod as well as streaming music, movies, photos off of the PSP. In fact at the 360 demonstration, the demonstrator said "So...Microsoft, Apple, and Sony, all together. Quite an interesting combination" But perhaps the best feature is Windows connectivity. It's WiFI out of the box. So if you've got any version of Windows XP, you can connect the 360 to it and stream away. It will also have advanced Windows Vista connectivity in the future.

Playstation 3:

The PS3 has great floating point performance backed by an incredible processor. This could pave the way for all sorts of things. It will wirelessly connect to the PSP, it supports 7 controllers wirelessly on one screen, and it is said to be able to run any operating system you can install on it, even Windows.

Nintendo Revolution:

The revolution doesn't have many other features. It is the first Nintendo system to play DVD movies and audio CDs. It will have an online service similer it Xbox Live. The best feature of the revolution is that you can download vintage Nintendo titles on their online service and play them. The mention titles for every past console. Games from the NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, etc... can be downloaded to a (harddrive, super memory card?) and played forever.

Xbox 360:

The Xbox 360 will offer two levels of Xbox Live service; Xbox Live Silver and Xbox Live Gold. Xbox Live Silver is free and is preloaded onto every Xbox there is. The bad news is that you don't get to play games with it. With silver, you get to audio and text message your friends, and you get access to the marketplace, which offers trailers, patches, arcade games, demos, music videos, etc.. all for free. So think of silver as a moviefone for games with a giant chat room thrown in. Gold has all the features of silver with the additions of video messages and the fact that you can play online games with it. Gold is paid but pricing is low. $7.99 a month upfront, $19.99 for 3 months in advance ($4 savings) and $49.99 for a year in advance (Big $$$ of savings) (Also, getting this 50 dollar card at EB instead of GameStop will get you 13 months for 50 bucks)

Playstation 3:

The PS3 will offer services similar to Xbox 360 Live. Although nothing has been announced by Sony on this subject, I would say it will be just like 360 Live in order to compete. But expect more in-depth, better online game and performance on PS3, because of its 2 terraflopps.

Nintendo Revolution:

Nothing at all has been announced about this things online service, ther than the game downloads. Some game downloads will be free, and I expect others to be paid.

Controllers:

Xbox 360:

Take the controller S, move the black and white buttons above the L and R triggers. Move the start and back buttons to the center. Paint it white, remove the wires. There you have it. A pure copycat of the DualShock 2, but still feels nice.

360control2bf.jpg

Playstation 3:

Turn is sideways and you've got the letter C with all straight lines. Looks a little wierd, but said to be comfortable. Bommerangish. It is wireless. Same button layout as the DS2, but with waaaaay longer ends. It is called...get this: the DualShock 3.

ps3control2pi.jpg

Nintendo Revolution:

(UPDATED) A wireless DVD-remote looking controller. It features four face buttons, the two basic a and b, a middle A button, and a B trigger. Turned sideways it looks like an advanced NES controller. It uses motion sensors for alot of controll, and comes with a wired analog stick that plugs into the bottom of the controller.

revcontroller28it.jpg

Games:

Xbox360, PS3:

Both consoles have a star-studded lineup of launch titles. There are shooters, sports games, adventures, and fighters coming for both at launch. Both consoles will launch with a similar lineup, so it's your choice based on the info provided above. And a new Sonic game.

Nintendo Revolution

Nothing worth posting here

Well there you have it. I know some of this is old news but incase you're prowling the net for news on these consoles, this is a big compilation of it. It will be updated as I find news. Please post your comments about the article. Also post which console(s) you think you will buy.

Xbox 360 Review: Chris82 (by December 7th)

Playstation 3 Review: Empty slot (post if you want to write a review)

Nintendo Revolution Review: Empty slot (post if you want to write a review)

To write a review, you must get the console within 2 weeks of its release and write it within 3 days of you having it.

(CONTRIBUTORS: Spaz)

UPDATE 1: Updated with Xbox 360 Live Gold Pricing

UPDATE 2: Controler info, pics, and game update

©2005 Chris82. 1/3rd of rights reserved.

Nitendo wii now!!!!!!! faggots changed it!

• 2 weeks later...