Big Community Thread

Chris

Went out to get the medium format colour films developed, took an hour, so wondered around in Chiswick. I bought The Orange Box for PS3, bargain at £13, and a mag, and then I got the films back. They're not bad, the multiple exposures are quite neat, a few of them I messed up, and the other project of closed-down shops looks OK as well, although not all of them are in focus - medium format cameras are quite difficult to focus correctly. Look at the image below, and then imagine trying to use one of them:

Mamiya_645_Super_basic.jpg

You look down through the bit at the top, and then focus it using the ring. No eye-level things here at all. You have to wind the film on each time with the crank as well, after each image. It's great.

Just came back from my holiday in Western Scotland earlier today. It was fun and the weather remained quite consistent throughout the week.

A few weeks ago I told the FFM that I was accepted into college but I don't recall posting it outside the private forum. It is the Emergency & Uniformed Services course (National Qualifications - Intermediate 1 level). It will involve visiting places across the town in order to be involved with the local community and it helps you to become friendly with some of the stuff you would have to endure in the Royal Navy, Police Force, Fire Department, Medical Services, Army and the HM Coastguards. It's sort of a course that allows me and the others who are taking the course to become involved in the community, it interests me because I would like to become involved in the emergency services, more specifically the Police.

I was told one of the places that we could visit is the Tulliallan Police Academy (Scottish Police College based in Tulliallan Castle) in Fife, Scotland and various other places such as hospitals and fire departments.

Watched The Shawshank Redemption again earlier, still probably the greatest film ever made, or at least the film that has the biggest feeling of hope running through it. When it finished, it just makes you realise that the little things in life are arguably the most important. Eg, I went outside in the garden for a bit, with the 2 cats that frequent my house every other day - I don't own them, sat down on the bench for about half an hour, and just sat there stroking them, and it was brilliant. I want more of that to happen during my easter break, moments when I can just think about things. I don't usually post like this, but the film is just so magnificent, it makes me think in a different way each time I watch it.

Went out to get the medium format colour films developed, took an hour, so wondered around in Chiswick. I bought The Orange Box for PS3, bargain at £13, and a mag, and then I got the films back. They're not bad, the multiple exposures are quite neat, a few of them I messed up, and the other project of closed-down shops looks OK as well, although not all of them are in focus - medium format cameras are quite difficult to focus correctly. Look at the image below, and then imagine trying to use one of them:

Mamiya_645_Super_basic.jpg

You look down through the bit at the top, and then focus it using the ring. No eye-level things here at all. You have to wind the film on each time with the crank as well, after each image. It's great.

Care to show pics? :hug:

Oh and hell yeah, you're another Shawshank Redemption fan. That movie is amazing. My dad got me into it.

^ I guess I could take a photo of the photos grouped together, but really, they're not exactly of stunning landscapes. I might show some of the B+W film I should be getting developed today, depending on how they come out, of course. And yeah, Shawshank is such a great film, one of the all-time greats.

Will probably go out soon to get the film developed, then back to the grind of my essay analysis of a photobook. It's supposed to be 2000 words long, got about 900 so far. Also, I might meet up with friends on Thursday at Rileys, a pool bar. Haven't seen 2 of them in months, and 1 of them now lives in Wales.

Haha, nah. You don't have to take a photo of the photo's. I forgot that you were developing them and I didn't realize the difficulty of uploading them up to the net. :P

Hmmm. I'm most likely doing nothing today, at least outside of the house due to some idiot robbing some one on my street on fucking Easter, so now my parents don't want me to go outside for a few days. Lol. Spring Break doesn't feel like Spring Break not being outside all the time.... >.<

I'm finally back from Satu Mare. The Geography Olympics are over so I'm back home after a tiring week. This place changed so much since I've been gone. I'll have to get used again with this lifestyle rather than the olympic student one.

I achieved my goal, I did not finish last :)) Not that I wasn't near the last place. It was so great, I had so much fun there.The key words for the ONG 2009 are emotion, sleepless, jokes, football, anxiety, tireness, party-games. Overall it was amazing, I really hope I'll go next year too.

I'm finally back from Satu Mare. The Geography Olympics are over so I'm back home after a tiring week. This place changed so much since I've been gone. I'll have to get used again with this lifestyle rather than the olympic student one.

I achieved my goal, I did not finish last :)) Not that I wasn't near the last place. It was so great, I had so much fun there.The key words for the ONG 2009 are emotion, sleepless, jokes, football, anxiety, tireness, party-games. Overall it was amazing, I really hope I'll go next year too.

What exactly is the Geography Olympics?

It's basically a test/exam/quizz based on geography-knowledge, it has multiple phases: local (you compete against other students from your highschool), county phase (you compete against students from other highschools in your county) and national phase (competing against the best students from other county highschools).

For the last stage each county has a number of students, mine had 2 from 8th grade, 1 from 9th grade, 2 from 10th grade, 1 from 12th grade and me and one of my classmates for the 11th grade. Some counties have more some have less, depends on the results.

The first two stages have only "theoretic" subjects, you get a sheet of paper with subjects depending on your grade and you have 2 to 3 hours to finish. Each subject worths a number of points ( 10, 15 or 20+ ) and you get 10 points for free, the max no. of points is 100.

For the national phase you have to travel to the county where it takes place, this year it was 90km away, could have been 500km like last year, but this time we were lucky.

This stage has "practical" subjects too.

Saturday noon I took the theoretic exam, Sunday morning to noon we went on a field-trip, the most tiring day ever ... We had to observe the environement where we stopped ( 9-10 stops), write down what we tought is important and move on. Monday morning we had the "practical" exam, a sheet of paper on which were written subjects regarding what we observed on the field.

For example a lake, we had to write down how it was formed/built, why, what it does for the surrounding environement, and what are it's uses ( tourism, fishing etc. ) and what rivers formed it.

Today I went to take stitches off my face, and I have a lil line of a scar which will fade by a year

And I went to get a haircut, so I say, trimm it, and as usual, they

FUCKING SHAVE IT, WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY. EVERY FUCKING TIME

And, now, I'm waiting for the Saints Row 2 DLC to appear on PS store and as usual

THIS FUCKING COUNTRY IS BEHIND ON EVERYTHING FUCK

• 2 weeks later...

Mini bump again. A kind of nothing post, just searched through my post history, and near the beginning I was a n00b. Don't know how some of you put up with me then. I can't stand incorrect spelling now, so to look back and see things like 'Im' and 'b' instead of 'be' infuriates me. :D

Edited by Bateman.

Began to worry yesterday about the due date for one of my Uni assignments, but have just learnt I now have until the 14th to finish it. The only reason it's been moved, is because my Uni teachers husband unexpectedly died in hospital, and she was off for quite a while because of it. Lessons had to be cancelled, and tutorials were offered instead, so things should be back to normal now, hopefully. I hope she's OK to come back to work, I quite like her as well, but not in that way.

Went college today to finish off a few assignments, nothing really big, although the fact that the library is suppose to be a quiet place, yet people talk loud in there. :P

Well other than that, things have been good, seems now I've probably spent more time on the PS3 than anywhere else. lol.