Vice City Disappointment

tyler

Were you disappointed in Vice City?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Were you disappointed in Vice City?

• No, it had everything i expected
    • Yes, a little
    • Yes, a lot
    • It was a major let down

And I do agree that Liberty City is somewhat depressing, but that is what makes the immersion so great. This is a game about crime, what a better place than a decaying, dying city like Liberty City. It fits perfectly.

That's what I liked about VC more then LC.

The fact that a place like Miami isn't as stereotypical for a place of crime like NYC, makes it more fun IMO. Perhaps a place like LC is more suited to crime, but VC can be suited to it aswell. The Downtown, Little Haiti, Vice Port, Little Havana districts of VC weren't as glamorous and seemed to fit the "Crime" feel more.

I would still take GTAIII over alot of GTA style games, but I'm always going to be a Vice City fan.

Just like I think VCS craps on LCS. Empire Building FTW!!!

Edited by MVC

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I do agree that Liberty City is somewhat depressing, but that is what makes the immersion so great. This is a game about crime, what a better place than a decaying, dying city like Liberty City. It fits perfectly.

That's what I liked about VC more then LC.

The fact that a place like Miami isn't as stereotypical for a place of crime like NYC, makes it more fun IMO. Perhaps a place like LC is more suited to crime, but VC can be suited to it aswell. The Downtown, Little Haiti, Vice Port, Little Havana districts of VC weren't as glamorous and seemed to fit the "Crime" feel more.

I would still take GTAIII over alot of GTA style games, but I'm always going to be a Vice City fan.

Just like I think VCS craps on LCS. Emipre Building FTW!!!

Quoted for emphasis. I agree with everything you said.

Really enjoy VC. I've enjoyed it since it was released, even played it on alot of different platforms. First on PS2, but then when my PS2 died I bought it for X-Box, then bought it for PC... as I did with all my GTA games basically. I have no real complaints, I don't like the layout in VC as much as LC - but I like the atmopshere in VC much better.

• 3 weeks later...

When I got Vice City a couple of years ago was my luckiest day ever, it's the best GTA game I've ever played. It had everything I'd wished for, the 80s atmosphere, sunshine, palms, fast cars, nice girls, the great soundtrack and so on, it definitely has that Miami Vice feel. And to be able to drive a motorcycle was great, I remember when I first tried it, it was amazing. The missions are also great. and the characters in the game are more memorable than the characters from GTA III. Althought GTA III was more surprising (first GTA game in 3D), but my top favourite GTA game is definitely Vice City. There's no better way to re-live the 80s than in Vice City, great game. :)

The reason why I'm not pleased with the storyline is because it doesn't have direction. It was (obviously) rushed because GTA 3 and VC were released so close together, but that also forces the two to be compared, and quite frankly, the story of GTA 3 makes the story of VC look short and boring, and I'll explain why.

The story of VC was in a checkbox format, where they gave you things to do in no particular order, and said "the final mission will be unlocked after you check off enough of these boxes" and that's exactly what "Asset Missions" were. They were side missions that didn't help progress your point in the story whatsoever, but were required to unlock the final mission.

On the other hand, the story of GTA3 was in a timeline format, where everything followed a straight clear storyline. Every mission-line was an outcome of another mission-line, something that is absent in VC, in which you did not complete mission lines in any order, and the mission lines were not connected at all. (except for the concert/biker mission line, which is the only exeption.) One mission line won't make up for this. It is the only reason why the VC storyline is weak compared to the other GTA games. The lack of connection between the lines makes the story look jumbled, unorginized, and rushed.

Those assets were a part of Tommy building his empire! Unlike GTA: 3 where at the end you got nowhere!

• 2 weeks later...

Columbia747, I agree man, IMO it's the best GTA game ever made, but VCS is out soon for PS2, so it might be my next favourite. Anyway man, too bad you couldn't swim in VC, really bad... I think that's the only thing that made me a little disappointed, but f***, I wasn't like noooo... What have they done! I didn't even think about it, but after completing the game I guess I was kinda thinking about it a little.

ah quit bragin "vice city was a disappointment comparing to SA"

SA was supposed to be better as every new gta is getting better.

I think Vice was the bomb. I never completed GTAIII and only becuz the things you had to do and the theme just sucked.

:thumbsdown: And the whole 'GANGSTA" theme in SA was shit. The VC storyline and theme is by far the best.

And those who are saying Vice was dump,thats only because you've played SA already. And SA will probably be crap after GTAIV comes out. But we'll see,I won't make any offencive judgments. :innocent:

ah quit bragin "vice city was a disappointment comparing to SA"

SA was supposed to be better as every new gta is getting better.

I think Vice was the bomb. I never completed GTAIII and only becuz the things you had to do and the theme just sucked.

:thumbsdown: And the whole 'GANGSTA" theme in SA was shit. The VC storyline and theme is by far the best.

And those who are saying Vice was dump,thats only because you've played SA already. And SA will probably be crap after GTAIV comes out. But we'll see,I won't make any offencive judgments. :innocent:

I completely agree with you. Most of the ones that say Vice City lacked something have played San Andreas first or even said it was missing some things from San Andreas. News flash for everyone like that, San Andreas wasn't even made yet!

Edited by Rashon125

Well yeah, but also, I think many fans of GTA III wished for some swimming in GTA: Vice City, know what I'm saying, so there's not just the "played SA first" reason. And yes, I'm one of those who has played GTA in order, and first time I played Vice City, I thought... Man this is amazing! I wasn't thinking about swimming... Maybe after I completed the game + hours of exploring, yeah then maybe. But even if you could swim it wouldn't exactly make it better. IMO, Vice City is the greatest GTA game ever made.

Well, for me for you and for some other users of this forum VC is one of the best games in the whole game world, maybe it isn't right now the best but when it was released it kicked asses to other games and only negative stuff were maybe swimming impossibility and bat draw distance and some other bugs, but easy skin switch system whole bunch of cars, AI, missions, story...

Do not ask any more questions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...