LCS Cheat Device

Chris

Edison Carter has somehow found a way of hacking Liberty City Stories. Quite how he has managed this remains a mystery but nevertheless it's a nice little program he's made.

Edison explains how to use the device on his website:

I implemented a few basic cheats to start with. There's much more to come!

US/Canada version for firmware 2.0 and 2.01 only

Unzip the archive to your memory card so the files go in PSP/SAVEDATA/ULUS10041S0. This replaces the first save on the card.

To start CheatDevice, simply load it like a saved game. Do not load CheatDevice again when it's already running! Your game will probably crash! If you need to load again, press L1+R1+UP to unload CheatDevice from memory first.

You're supposed to be able to load another game save while CheatDevice is running, but it sometimes crashes. At least you can load the CheatDevice save and play around in there. For me at least, I can load another game save once after loading CheatDevice, then if I need to load again, I press L1+R1+UP to unload it, then load it again.

Some of the spawn choices like FERRY, AEROPL, and HELI will crash the game.

Disclaimer: THIS CAN CRASH YOUR GAME, SO USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. Don't use this for doing missions or when you're planning to save your game.

Download CheatDevice 0.1, which is only for US/Canadian PSP's with 2.0 or 2.01 firmware.

Edison Carter's Site: MaxBot

• 2 weeks later...

Wow we aren't updating, there has been two releases since then.

Version 0.3 is here!

US/Canada version 0.3: http://www.maxbot.com/gta/CheatDevice03US.zip

UK/EU version 0.3: http://www.maxbot.com/gta/CheatDevice03UK.zip

New for v0.3:

- Activate spawn cheats with one button

- Screenshot to a BMP file in your /psp/photo directory

- Edit car colors

- Never fall off your motorcycle

v0.3 release notes:

While you have a vehicle spawn line selected, just press the last button of the cheat code, either CIRCLE or L1, to spawn things. Check the instructions at the bottom of the screen for which button to press. CheatDevice copies the rest of the cheat into the button history buffer to trick the game into thinking you entered the whole cheat.

Screenshot saves a BMP of the screen to the /PSP/PHOTO directory where you can view it from the PSP's photo viewer. The files are numbered sequentially. The numbering starts over at 1 again when you restart CheatDevice, so be aware it'll be overwriting your previous screenshots. The screens were coming out much too dark originally, so I added an automatic brightness adjustment.

To take a picture, go to Screenshot and press X twice quickly and carefully. You may have to press it a third time if it doesn't trigger. I needed a trigger that you wouldn't accidently hit easily, but also wouldn't use a button that would reset the camera or make you jump or move or change anything on the screen, which most of them do. I tried to slow down the game as much as possible while it's copying the screen, but you still need to hold still to keep from messing up the snapshot.

You can edit the colors of the car you're driving. The stripe color only applies if the car has a stripe or two tone second color. Special vehicles like taxis and gang cars that do not change colors when resprayed can not have their colors changed.

Toni was never as good with motorcycles as CJ. He just falls off too easily to have any fun. Problem solved.

US Version: I put a handy PCJ600 in the Staunton garage. I also decided to get rid of all my grenades because I was getting tired of blowing myself up when entering that spawn cheat that ends with CIRCLE.