GTA 4 to feature "6 cities"

Adriaan

A bunch of members over at the ever so popular GTAForums, uncovered the latest news bit about the next-generation of Grand Theft Auto. You'd remember that a few weeks back we reported on the GTALondon rumour, which was clearly one big fake. The next rumour recently hit news stands in PSM UK, and until recently, the web. Apparently the publication, which is known to publish fake info, reports that the next Grand Theft Auto for next generation consoles is to launch as early as this year in the United Kingdom. According to the small article, GTA 4 will be set in Europe and will feature 6 cities. Here's what they had to say:

The Facts: Rockstar releases a "proper" GTA game every 2 years. GTA: Sanandreas launched in 2004, so this is an "on" year. Rockstar president sam houser has said that "with ps3, it looks as if it might be time for interactive entertainment to become the worlds dominant artistic medium. Rockstar has registered the trademarks gta: bogota, gta: tokyo and gta sin city. Sam houser owns the web domain grandtheftauto4.com and gta4.com. GTA: sanandreas was the last in the GTA3 trilogy. When asked about an online GTA game by our US sister mag PSM, Houser referenced PC RPG Everquest, saying Rockstar wanted to do more than simple deathmatches.

GTA4, set in europe (or a "world" with 6 cities), will be announced as a PS3 exclusive at E3, available as a UK launch title in 2006.

-PSM UK, February 2006

gtaworldpsm.jpg

Firstly what I find interesting is that the publication says that Rockstar releases a "proper" GTA game every 2 years. What was Liberty City Stories then? An "improper" GTA? Anyway, the bit about Sam Houser praising the Playstation 3 was more or less the same what he said at E3 of last year. We all know by now that Take-Two Interactive owns a few trademarks, that was registered back in December of 2003, and most certainly know about Sam Houser registering GTA4/GrandTheftAuto4.com back in 1999. Interestingly the rest of it is exactly the same as what is written on GTA 4 fan site, GTA4.net.

But all of a sudden PSM goes ahead and do what most magazine publications do best, write amazing new info without any proof or sources. That it will feature 6 new cities set in Europe. Although I can easily believe that it will be a PS3 exclusive, and that if it comes out this year, Rockstar will announce it at this years E3 in L.A.

Earlier this week, at the Citigroup 16th Annual Entertainment, Media and Telecommunications Conference, Executive Vice President at Take-Two, Cindi Buckwalter, had the following to say about this years E3:

We also look forward to E3, which is traditionally the time when the industry has quite a few announcements, both in terms of software and hardware. That's coming up here in May in Los Angeles and we look forward to a lot more visibility about the launch of the Playstation 3, aswell as the Revolution, and you can also see some product announcements from Take-Two. It's a big time for products releases for the holiday, in terms of the announcements

She also had the following very interesting bit to say:

We'll continue to look to build on the Grand Theft Auto brand, and are doing this year in 2006.

Adam over at GTAnet contacted a representative of Rockstar Games in New York a short while ago about PSM's article, and his response was simply the following: "I will have to double check for you, but I'm pretty sure this is just an unsubstantiated rumor from them at this point." So for now we'll just file this one under rumours.

Source: GTAForums Topic

*removed from front news*

EDIT: Guess I didn't know all of it until I got a full scan http://img459.imageshack.us/img459/523/scan26we.jpg

Well it was and it wasnt - most people loved SA for its gameplay but not its storyline.

My opinion is that's been done now, and should be left alone because many people, myself included, weren't too fond of the theme. I mean it was fine, and it worked, but i would rather be playing the business-style mafia themes than drugs and street crime. Possibly the story of an ordinary person (at the start) who gets involved in things that at first he doesn't understand.

I've been waiting for GTA4 for a long time now, and I really think Rockstar could do something special. Six cities sounds about right, a bit bigger and more spread out would be good though.

Well it was and it wasnt - most people loved SA for its gameplay but not its storyline.

My opinion is that's been done now, and should be left alone because many people, myself included, weren't too fond of the theme. I mean it was fine, and it worked, but i would rather be playing the business-style mafia themes than drugs and street crime. Possibly the story of an ordinary person (at the start) who gets involved in things that at first he doesn't understand.

I've been waiting for GTA4 for a long time now, and I really think Rockstar could do something special. Six cities sounds about right, a bit bigger and more spread out would be good though.

Yes, the theme of San Andreas really wasn't the best. I think the gangsta/rapper theme is stupid, and I was really only liked the non-Los Santos missions in San Andreas. I hope in GTA4 you'll play as another Mafia wiseguy, similar to Tommy Vercetti.

Yes, the theme of San Andreas really wasn't the best. I think the gangsta/rapper theme is stupid, and I was really only liked the non-Los Santos missions in San Andreas. I hope in GTA4 you'll play as another Mafia wiseguy, similar to Tommy Vercetti.

Really? That's strange. For Me (remember the word -> ME not US) I actually love only the missions related to Gang-Banging, which is the Los Santos Missions. I don't know why. But I also liked the Mafia-Themed missions though. But yeah, Zino's idea of starting from scratch is considerable for Rockstar North and Rockstar Games.

Edited by C.O.D

I do agree with zino about starting out a good citizen then getting involved in crime

Something like Mafia storyline, right?

But actually, story should be about a total psycho (like Postal 2). everything other is so unrealistic.

For example:

CJ got framed for homicide and then he has to prove that he's innocent and CRASH use that as an opportunity to control him.

Now, that's omg stupid. CJ goes all over SA killing like 9999 people in every possible ways, and yet his frame for homicide of a police officer is all he cares about. If he killed 9999 people, he could simply start with CRASH and problem solved!

Actually, CJ was lookin around to fix up his Gang, Family, Friends and... Himself (about the Tenpenny frame stuff). He also 'accidentally' knew that his best friends killed his mom. What would you do if you were in that position?

Well sure it wasn't all about CRASH, but untill the very last mission CJ was doing all what Tenpenny wanted from him to do. So, during the whole storyline, Tenpenny and his frame is CJ's biggest problem, but yet he kills 9999 people and absoloutely nothing happens (except he builds up his stats).

Killing 9999 people IS GTA style, being a pussy because of only one homicide (using a gun, not a chainsaw or a shovel or a spraycan or whatever) IS NOT GTA style.