Ultimate GTA4 Poll

Gerard

Ultimate GTA4 Poll  

324 members have voted

1. 1. What theme should the next GTA have to it?

• Mafia
    • Drugs
    • Business + Fraud
  2. 2. How should the next GTA's story be managed?

• One character, you control him/her forever (like CJ, Tommy V)
    • Multiple characters at different points, each interlinking
  3. 3. Which City/Cities/Area should GTA4 be based on/around?

• Just in New York (as in the trailer)
    • In New York... and London
    • In New York... and somewhere else

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why not europe, japan, korea, or anywhere cool, other than UK. you know there ARE places in the world other than UK and US.

As far as im aware, they dont speak English in Japan or Korea, so are we going to be reading subtitles all through our game? Yes, they could be programmed to speak English, but how un-realistic would that be? 2 top dogs of the Yakuza speaking English to each other?

and yes in japan and korea they ALL speak english. they have english school that they have to go to. dont talk about something you dont know about. and there were people in SA that would talk different languages to eachother and there would be subtitles. to be serious here, there are about as many people speaking english in japan as there are in california. and japan is small.

Taken from Wikipedia

Japanese (Nihongo)is a language spoken by over 130 million people, mainly in Japan, but also by Japanese emigrant communities around the world. It is an agglutinative language and is distinguished by a complex system of honorifics reflecting the hierarchical nature of Japanese society, with verb forms and particular vocabulary to indicate the relative status of speaker, listener and the person mentioned in conversation.
Korean is the official language of both North and South Korea, and is widely spoken in Korean communities abroad. The language is also one of the two official languages (the other is Standard Mandarin) in neighbouring Yanbian, China. Worldwide, there are around 80 million Korean speakers, including large groups in the former Soviet Union, China, Australia, the United States, Canada, Brazil, Japan, and more recently, the Philippines.

Japaneese is the first langauge to residents of Japan, and Korean is the first langauge to residents of Korea. Maybe they learn English, the same as we learn basic French, Spanish, German. You wont find a group of Japaneese people in the street talking in English to each other. And i also belive, that the Yakuza(which im assuming will be the main gang, if set in Japan) are a very traditional organisation? And seen as Japaneese is the first and original language in Japan, the Yakuza members will all be speaking Japaneese, the same as the pedestrians, police etc.

Even so, i highly doubt that they will be speaking it out of their english lesson. Another point against Japan/Korea for me is the music. The soundtrack wouldnt be as good as the likes of Vice City or San Andreas, because it would be mainly J-Pop. Cars are another point against Japan/Korea. Yes, im aware there are Nissan Skyline's, Mazda Rx7's, Supra's, but we cant just see those driving around all the while.

hey tyla, have you been to japan???? no, you havent. they all speak english. its like a mexican gang. they speak spanish to eacother but then they speak english to you, same deal. yeah and in japan they have alot better cars, and yes you do see skylines and supras driving around alot.

Actually, he didn't clarify if he had been or not, so you don't have much of a reason to complain, now do you?!

hey tyla, have you been to japan???? no, you havent. they all speak english. its like a mexican gang. they speak spanish to eacother but then they speak english to you, same deal. yeah and in japan they have alot better cars, and yes you do see skylines and supras driving around alot.

So what? If you base a game in Japan, the peds are going to speak japaneese. Its common sense, its like setting a game in germany and saying they wont be speaking german.

That would be daft though - I wouldn't want a game that only had Japanese-speaking peds and all the signs in Japanese. I want to understand it.

Most games set in Germany actually use English with German accents for the NPCs. That could work with Japanese accents, but wouldn't be great.

If all the signs were in Japanese, we wouldn't understand all the jokes they have (eg "we don't like your type round here"), and if they were in English it would be pretty out of place.

Simpler to do it in an English-speaking nation. Especially since the game is created by British designers...

its just a map that you can fly to, not the whole game, so your "always have to be speaking english even when there not even talking to you" crap can be done back in america. and jared, he doesnt know whats its like if he hasnt been there, im also not complaining, i was stating a reason why what i said was true.

also, in japan there are signs that say japanese and below they say english, almost all of them have it. same with the people, they talk half japanese half english.

Why there's no other option? Because the London idea really sucks badly (just reminding Ken Paul at Malibu haha :lolbounce: ), anyway i voted US

I want to see this GTA in TOKYO, JAPAN and the character to be like Tommy Verceti !

Respects

Edited by Olger_K

And how would you know if I have or havent been there? For all you know I could be Japaneese myself.

because you sed in your first post, "as far as im aware, they dont speak english in japan or korea." proving you havent been to either place.

also you spelt japanese wrong. ^_^

Edited by tilly

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'd love to see GTA IV take place in Europe, like Moscow, and I'm really hoping for snow this time. When it comes to theme setting I'd like to see a little bit of everything I guess. And one character, one main character, doesn't matter if there's going to be a male or a female. But if it will have online play I'd love to see you have the option to create your own character from the scratch, height, weight, skin, eye colour, hair colour, muscle, basically everything.