Install help...

shortaki

Ok so i dont know what is wrong, but there never seemed to be a problem installing GTA SA before on my comp or my brothers laptop. now i re formatted my computer and went to re isntall GTA SA from the DVD and towards the end of the installation i get this error that my data4.cab file is corrupt or some cyclic error something like that i cant remember fully, but it obviously means that my data4.cab file on the dvd is corrupt.

does anyone know whats going on and how i can fix this??

could i perhaps download the data4 file to fix this??

im running win xp btw. im not very computer literate so sorry if my psot is not informative enough, but please try help

also sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum..or something like this has been discussed before.

thank you very much.

Shortaki.

EDIT: this is the error im getting

component: models

file: d:data4.cab

error: data error (cyklic redundancy check

Edited by shortaki

That error means that your's DVD is damaged. I had the same error when the setup came to Vice City CD2, so I took the CD2 out and saw that it's damaged on the rear side. Damn low quality CDs! The only thing you can do is get a new disc and run the setup again.

And how big is that "data4.cab" actually? Because .cab files are ussually pretty large and not suitable for uploading on the web. And even if you somehow get that file, nothing guaranties you that some other file's not damaged too.

Edited by Slayer

I had a simliar problem with my GTA DVD. Before sending off for a new disc, it might be worth your while to make a virtual DVD-Image of your DVD using Nero, Alcohol 120%, UltraIO or any othert program. Once you've done that, mount it using Alcohol or Daemon Tools and Install it from the virtual drive. This method worked for me. I think it's because the damage to the disk is really minimal and any errors could be automaticaly corrected when the software makes a virtual image of it.

thanx for the help. its a real shame that i cant get it to work. i tried to make an image of the dvd with alcohol 120% but when i tried installing for that it still wouldnt work.

someone sugesseted i extract the cd to my computer and try install from there...does anyone know how to acctually do that?

i noticed the cd is sorta scratched, my dad said its not bad should be fine. my fifa cd has an actual crack in it and it still works so i dont know why this one wont.

well someone told me to try extracting the cd and then to try install for there, so i did, and now i get this error.

CRC error:the file D:\Rockstar games\gta sa\anim\cuts.img doesnt match the file in the setups.cab fil. the medium from which you are running the setup may be corrupt; contact your software vendor.

i used ISObuster to extract the files and it came up with a few errors but i cleaned the dvd drive and it worked fine with no problems the second time. now when i try istall this is what i get. whats going on?

Which DVD did you extracted the files from? If it's the one from the first post, no wonder it doesn't work. There's no other help than getting a new DVD. When you get a new DVD and if it works fine, create a DVD image and save it on your computer as a backup. Then you can mount it using Alcohol or Daemon tools anytime you want. That error from the first post means that the file is unreadable, and that means that you can't read or copy it. The file is unusable because even when you copy it to your HDD, it's still damaged. And like you said, you couldn't correct it.

well my dad burnt a copy of the dvd for me and it installed off that copy fine with no problems, i then installed a no cd crack so that it could be played, but now when i try playing the game, it loads up and everything, but once i select the start new game, it loads shoes the liberty city 1992 screen then quits..could it be the crack that does this?

should i make an image of the copy dvd and try play off that?

We'd rather you didn't talk about CD-Cracks here. They are illegal software. If you contact Take2 they may be able to provide you with a new CD, so long as you can prove you owned one in the first place.

There is no decent way to get round CRC (cyclic redundancy check) errors, you may have to buy a new copy of the game, get a new CD from Take2, or go without.

well my dad burnt a copy of the dvd for me and it installed off that copy fine with no problems, i then installed a no cd crack so that it could be played, but now when i try playing the game, it loads up and everything, but once i select the start new game, it loads shoes the liberty city 1992 screen then quits..could it be the crack that does this?

should i make an image of the copy dvd and try play off that?

Try playing with the actual DVD you are supposed to play with. My friend had the same error installing with the DVD because his computer couldn't read it because there was a scratch. I burned the DVD to a copy for him, he installed using that, then was able to play using the original DVD, not needing to read that file to play.

Try using the original DVD. It may only be a problem on install.

If that doesn't work, unfortunately, what Gerard says may be the only option.

Edited by badgerov

• 3 weeks later...
well someone told me to try extracting the cd and then to try install for there, so i did, and now i get this error.

CRC error:the file D:\Rockstar games\gta sa\anim\cuts.img doesnt match the file in the setups.cab fil. the medium from which you are running the setup may be corrupt; contact your software vendor.

i used ISObuster to extract the files and it came up with a few errors but i cleaned the dvd drive and it worked fine with no problems the second time. now when i try istall this is what i get. whats going on?

Try to use this iso creator to make iso image from your cd. It may work.

http://www.magiciso.com/