help a noob out with modding cars

dda.mann

I can install most of the mods out there for GTA SA, but for some reason when i try to install a new car I get as far as halfway through the load bar and then my game crashes. I tried it manually and with sami as well, to the same effect.

id really appreciate some help, seeing real world cars in the game would be fucktastic.

It's probably one of your mods that's causing the game to crash. Try to isolate which mods work and which don't by installing them one by one and loading the game after each one is installed. S.A.M.I is recommended for this as it allows for easy uninstallation.

Those are pretty awesome specs dude. You should be able to run SA like crazy. Have you installed any script mods or anything. Oh wait, you said you did a clean install. Try running the game after a clean re-install without installing any mods and see if that works. Also, are we talking about only vehicle mods or about buildings, or effects or other mods as well?

Before you install the car mods, try uninstalling all other mods. Some of them are really unnecessary; E.g: Use a tr**ner or cheat for Max Money instead of using a mod for free shopping. Also try removing the real speed mod. Basically what I'm saying is do a clean install and see if the game runs without any mods. Then try to run it with just one vehicle mod. If it works carry on modding and checking till you're done with the vehicles. After that install the other mods like shopping or speed or draw distance.

I've just mailed you the vehicles.ide, carcols.dat and handling.cfg files. I don't know how to send you the gta3.img file as its around 896 MB. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Also did the game work without any of the car mods?

You'll have to reinstall the game if you haven't made a backup of files in gta3.img. Probably the best thing to do is to backup the whole original gta3.img. That's what I did. That way you could quickly disable all mods and find a backup of a specific file that's causing problems in-game.

I don't know how to send you the gta3.img file as its around 896 MB.

didnt know that :erm:

the thing is that if i try installing a car mod, and then after delete it and backup all the affected files the game will still crash. which is highly strange. Ive had considerable experience modding other games so im certain that i cant be making mistakes, at least not everytime I try this. Again, this applies if i try modding with sami or manually.

the game works fine without car mods, but as soon as i tamper with gta3.img it gets fubar. im starting to believe that theres some sort of security mechanism on my version.

How old is you system? I think that if none of these methods are working there is something definitely wrong with your computer. Probably a virus or something that targets all *.img files or something. Which cars have you tried from thegtaplace's download database. Also try to be a bit lot more detailed in your explanation of what you're doing.

the thing is that if i try installing a car mod, and then after delete it and backup all the affected files the game will still crash.

Unfortunately, backup can be used only to revert original files if mods have smaller mistakes like missing textures or something like that. If mods crash your game, only the whole original gta3.img will help.

You trying to tell me that theres a virus going around attacking .img files so you can play, but cant mod gta sa?

no, the problem is not with my computer, and its not with what im doing. Surely i cant be the only one whos got this problem.

To be honest I've never heard of this problem ever before. The only way to know for sure is for you to completely uninstall the game, delete all folders etc. and then re-install the whole thing but post each and every little step that you've done onto this thread. That way we can tell you if you've done anything wrong.

After some more searching on the subject i found out about v2.0 and v1.0 of san andreas. Its to do with a shitload of tightass legal paper pushers and the hot coffee mod. I also found a converter which changed v2.0 back to v1.0 solving my problem.

How awesome am I.

You trying to tell me that theres a virus going around attacking .img files so you can play, but cant mod gta sa?

no, the problem is not with my computer, and its not with what im doing. Surely i cant be the only one whos got this problem.

i have the same problem dude and i always go by the authors readmes and got my cars from here. pohummer final version, h2stretch,offroad...

• 2 weeks later...
After some more searching on the subject i found out about v2.0 and v1.0 of san andreas. Its to do with a shitload of tightass legal paper pushers and the hot coffee mod. I also found a converter which changed v2.0 back to v1.0 solving my problem.

How awesome am I.

I have the same exact problem!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE tell me what u used to convert it from v2.0 to v1.0!!!!!!!!