hooking up two computers

jacknife

I have some files on one computer in this house that I want to transfer to the other. Some of the files are over 700mb meaning I cant burn them on a cd-r to do the transfer.

Is it possible to hook up two computers together and copy and paste a file from one computer to the other? If yes, please explain in detail how I would do this. If not, any other solution? Neither computer has a dvd burner so that is not an option.

thanks.

Are both the computers in the same house? If yes and if you have an ethernet card installed on both computers then you could use a crossover cable to link them up through LAN. Once you've done that just copy the files into the shared folder on one computer then go to the other one and they should show up in it's shared folder. Now just copy them to another location and you're done.

Because of some reason, I can't hook up 2 computers over my WLAN router. I hate it so much. Dunno why, computers just wouldn't recognise each other. :pissedred:

Anyway, JD explained you what to do. However, make sure that you have 802.11g (54mbps) or SuperG (108mbps) standard. If you have 802.11b (11mpbs) it would be faster to hook them up via cable.

I'm pretty much a newbie at networking so I haven't got a clue as to what you guys are on about! :blink: All I did to hook my two computers up was buy an ethernet crossover cables and connect them to both the PCs. And lo and behold XP's Idiot-Proof system recognized both the computers etc. and I was immediately able to use Shared folders and the internet on the second computer as well. :bleh:

Edited by The JD

• 1 month later...