GTA 2 in 3D mode?

Kray Z

My friend, back in high school in June 2000 said that he had GTA 2 and he said that if you make your character jump onto a bike, the game instantly switches from 2D to 3D. Now I don't believe that but is it true? The GTA mystery still lives.

Now I haven't played GTA 2 but that sounds extremely fictional even to me! Also, may I ask what brought this quirky tale to your mind 6 years after he actually said it? Or are you just trying to post random topics? ^_^

BTW, Welcome to the forums! :hi:

I'm not sure what you're specificaly talking about, but GTA and GTA2 were in 3D. That way you could preform insane jumps with vehicles and climb objects (stairs, etc.). Another proof is that you could see the whole building if it was on the edge of the screen.

Unfortunately, you couldn't switch between camera angles, so that gave the game "2D feeling".

btw. JD, download GTA2 and GTA (or also WMC) from R* web site. Those are really good games (GTA2 especially) and even if you don't like them, al least you'll see what GTA was "before".

There was at one time a project to convert one of the classics into 3d, possibly into GTA 3, I can't remember the exact details but aside from the fact roads were at 30 degrees to the horizontal for a hill, it looked pretty good.

It looks and it is 3 dimensional. Damn! Just because it's overhead view, doesn't mean that it's not in 3D. You should play the game first, and then talk about it. Just because you've looked at some GTA2 screens doesn't give you the right to state that it's 2D, beacuse it doesn't look like that to you.

You can't see air, but it's still there, right? Unless you live in the space, of course.

I don't want to argue, but the car models are not 2D, you only see the roof of them.

You don't see the under of the car, or the sides etc. It can't be 3D, look at this from the dictionary...

3D: a movie with images having three dimensional form or appearance.

These are the Three dimensions, length, width and height.

I don't want to argue, but the car models are not 2D, you only see the roof of them.

You don't see the under of the car, or the sides etc. It can't be 3D, look at this from the dictionary...

3D: a movie with images having three dimensional form or appearance.

These are the Three dimensions, length, width and height.

You are an idiot, sir. The whole 3D thing has NOTHING to do with what you see, but what is there. Are you saying if I look at a box straight down so that I can ONLY see the one side((and thus, only two dimensions)), that it isn't 3D? No? Not saying that? Well, that actually IS what you are saying. The game was made with 3D models, whether you see the other sides of them or not, they are still there.

Yes, I know, I made a mistake there, I'm very confused, if you don't mind I'm not going to discuss this. I am very very confused!!!

When you look at the cars from 'above' on GTA 2, they do not roll over, you simply see the roof. I agree that the city is 3D, but the cars do not have a full 3D model, that would take up too much space on the disc, wouldn't it?

By the way, Spaz The Great, very funny avatar! Sorry evryone, I just couldn't resist mentioning it!!!

Your friend is a liar.

GTA2 isnt 3D you dumb fucks. The buildings are king of 3D, but the people, cars, etc arnt. you only see the top of them, you cant see the side or the bottom of them, only the top.

trance-am.jpg

index-car.jpg

Your guys gonna shut da gently caress up now?

EDIT: Btw, cars in RL are 3D, but the ones in GTA2 are not. Spaz, if I look at the box, I can still move around and see that the box is 3D. If I was playing GTA2 and I was moving around the monitor, looking at the car, I would still see the car roof no matter what. Thus, proving they are 2D.

Edited by tommy vercetti guy

• 3 weeks later...
EDIT: Btw, cars in RL are 3D, but the ones in GTA2 are not. Spaz, if I look at the box, I can still move around and see that the box is 3D. If I was playing GTA2 and I was moving around the monitor, looking at the car, I would still see the car roof no matter what. Thus, proving they are 2D.

Alright. So, in your definition, ALL games are, infact, 2D..... Thank you.

This is one of those things that is difficult to explain to other people. In GTA 2, it is not a full 3D model, because it would be a waste of time and memory, and there would be no point because you would only see the top anyway. Is this put into clearer words? I don't think any of us will come with a reasonable solution with this, so here goes. Spaz the Great, I see that you are correct about what you are trying to say. Tommy Vercetti Guy, I also see that you are correct about what you are trying to say. Everyone is right and everyone is wrong. There.

I did that because we will never resolve this argument.

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally found something that will prove that GTA 2 is not 3D.

In this website look at the forum, 'GTA III' and the description under it say something like 'The series that brought the popular franchise into 3D'. This means that none of the previous GTA games were in 3D.