A little help with Pings

The JD

Hi! I'm having trouble with my Pings. I play a lot of Counter-Strike Source and recently, I've noticed that when I log into a server, my pings remain at around 70 which is normal but after a few minutes, they start jumping from anywhere between 700 to 1000. These skips get more and more frequent until eventually I get p***ed off with all the lag and just quit. The problem has only been getting worse. I want to know if there is any way in which I can find out what is causing my pings to soar. If not then is ther a way that I can lower my pings? I don't have any other programs running in the background other than Xfire and Norton Internet Security 2006 (Firewall Disabled). I don't keep the Windows Firewall active and I close both, my Peerguardian and BT Client before starting. If anyone can suggest anything then I'd be extremely grateful.

My PC Specs:

Windows xp Home

Pentium 4 3.40GHz CPU

1.00 GB RAM

ATi Radeon X800GT

ISP: Telewest Broadband UK

Speed: 512 kb/s

Type: Ethernet Broadband

Hmm... i'm not sure if I am playing on a UK server or not as I never bothered to check. I've played before on the server with no problems and I know many people from my own postcode who play on the server so I don't think that's the problem. And could you please explain how Norton could be causing the problem? I wasn't aware of the fact that it ever used any bandwidth.

*This is making me even more paranoid than the time I found out that the Microsoft Windows OS sent information from my computer without me knowing!*

I have one other computer at home that leeches the internet off of me but it doesn't make a difference if I disconnect it or not.

Edited by The JD

Ok. I tried what chris said and funnily enough, the internet setting was wrong. So I fixed it and feeling like I has finally solved this problem I started a game. Not 5 minutes into one round and *BOOM* I'm getting pings of around 1500 ms.

Well, I called up Telewest and upgraded my connection to a 4MB. (I've been wanting to do that for a long time) I changed my Steam Internet settings again to so that it befits my new connection and started a game. I think I played around 5 rounds. Then once again my pings started rocketing.

However, I did notice that the maximum they went upto was not 1500 anymore but just 800. So the new connection does make a difference but I think the problem is within CSS itself.

Can someone tell me what other reasons make pings high?

I haven't got any adware/spyware on my computer as I run weekly checks. The only other program running in the background is Norton Internet Security (Tried disabling it but still no difference).

One thing I did do however was waited till my pings rocketed, then Alt + Tabbed out of the game and opened up the Windows Task Manager. I checked what other program was using my Network Bandwidth and came up empty. Only CSS is using my internet and its only using around 0.5%.

Like I said earlier, I think the problem is within CSS and so I've posted for help on the CSS forums. Hopefully, there will have been a precedent and I'll get it solved.

If you guys have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Edited by The JD

No. It's not a performance issue. It's something to do with the internet.

Start CSS, click Options, click Keyboard, and click Advanced. Check the box next to "Enable Developer Console (~)" and click ok. Get out of the options and connect to a server.

Open up the conole by pressing the `~ key (Below Escape) and type in

net_graph 3

Press Enter and keep watching that while playing. It's ok if you get Choke, but you need to see how much loss you're getting. Net_graph shows your true ping; the scoreboard's is not accurate.

If you get a lot of loss, open up console and type

rate 20000
cl_cmdrate 50
cl_updaterate 50

Don't forget to press enter after each of those lines

If that doesn't work, it's something with your connection outside of CSS, possibly a setting.

I can see my pings along with a load of other stuff including Choke(What the heck is choke anyway? Someone please explain!), FPS and some stuff just labeled in and out. It comes up in the lower right hand corner of my screen and is in white text. Also, am I allowed to mess around in the console while on a server? The last thing I want is to end up getting banned globally from all CSS Servers.

I can see my pings along with a load of other stuff including Choke(What the heck is choke anyway? Someone please explain!), FPS and some stuff just labeled in and out. It comes up in the lower right hand corner of my screen and is in white text. Also, am I allowed to mess around in the console while on a server? The last thing I want is to end up getting banned globally from all CSS Servers.

You're allowed to do whatever you want with your console. It's yours and you can mess with it all you want. If you try to change something in the server, like say,

sv_gravity 0

or

kill [playername]

the console would request the admin RCON password, but that wouldn't get you banned. Think of the console as a way for you to access your best advanced options.

There are some cheats you can enter, but they only work when

sv_cheats
is set to 1, which can only be done by an admin.

Choke and loss are very different. Loss is worse because you are actually losing packets of information sent to you, causing you to lag and giving you a disadvantage. Choke is..well...literally the camera/view choking. That is not bad because you don't lose information, but it occurs when too much is going on at once. You'll know when it occurs because your FPS drops a little. But it doesn't really affect gameplay. Ignore it.

Have you sorted the networking yet, The JD? I would advise you to contact one of our helplines, a simple search engine should help.

"Our" helpline? Do you work for Steam? Which helpline are you talking about?

Anyways, I tried the net grapher and I'm not getting any loss. Its almost always at 0, rarely goes up to around 5 and then drops back to 0. My choke varies from around 0 to 40.

I've notcied something else though... theres something called "in" and when my pings rocket, it races around from anywhere between 300 - 500(or vice - versa). My out however reamins below 100. Could this be the problem and if yes then how do I solve it?

Edited by The JD

No, sorry, I don't work for a helpline, that was a type error. I meant to type 'the' instead of 'our'. I got a bit carried away there!!!

I don't think that the 'out' could be the problem there, and maybe an advanced technician could fix it. Have you tried the simple way of disconnecting and reconnecting?