Game Freeze (already tried suggested resolutions)

?uest

Hello folks!

The issue is that the game freezes around the wang motors/old garage in San Fierro. Previously, I have had intermittent crashes/freezes but it doesnt repeat itself with the same pattern. Then I had about 60-70 cars modded. I had some issues that forced me to re-mod all those cars all over again and added some more to boot. Currently I have about 90 modded cars or so in my GTA3 IMG file. After modding all these, the game played without a problem within Los Santos (except the odd freeze) until I had to return to SF to complete the import/export missions.

I thought it might be insufficient disk space or paging file causing the problem. SO I checked and my C:\ drive had only about 500mb of space, though my games arent installed there. I freed up 2gb on that partition.

I had only one paging file on the C:\ which was between 1.5gb to 3gb. I added another paging file on D:\ which contained my installed games and programs, size 500mb to 1gb

Im not sure if that would make things better or not but I did it all the same to eliminate possible issues. It didnt improve the situation with the game.

So I decided to lower my game settings even though my rig surpasses the recommended requirements to run GTA:SA. Turned off anti-aliasing, mipmapping; brought resolution to 800x600x16 and then to 640x480x32; but no, it didnt change nothing. The game kept freezing;

I downgraded my game from v1.01euro to v1.0 but still the situation remains the same.

Im left thinking it would have to be one of the modded cars, possibly in Wang Motors that is defective. So far I have reverted the Savanna back to its default, the Stratum, Sultan, and Uranus mods have not given me problems previously and I can drive around with these cars on the road not giving me problems.

It will be extremely helpful if someone could give some suggestions, perhaps:

1. providing a list of cars housed at Wang Motors, and if possible parked within the surrounding area;

2. say whether or not over 90 modded cars in the game could be an issue in this case;

3. offer any solution/s a similar experience might have brought about;

4. offer any other possible causes and;

5. offer ANY solution that is marginally easier that remodding all over again, one by one. :bashhead:

As I indicated, I had to re-mod previously because during a gta img rebuild, I ran out of disc space... and that experience is something I'd rather not go through.

I will appreciate any input.

Cheers. ?

It happens to everybody at every setting (i've read this a million times and it happens to me2).

That's just the game (it's a memory issue). Second Edition freezes too.

You just have to wait like 20 seconds for it to un-freeze (maybe 40 seconds if your system sucks).

The problem is almost certainly a defective mod or a mistake in modding.

1. Virtually any road car could spawn there, including any planes overhead.
  2. Modded cars are no different to installed cars. In SA, you are simply overwriting the old with the new, and the game can't tell the difference.
  3. I've had this problem many times, and its usually a mistake when adding a mod.
  4. Could be a bad txd/dff, could be two versions of the same txd/dff (if you forgot to delete), or could be an error in the handling/carcols/default/vehicles files
  5. Try replacing the handling.dat, default.ide, carcols.dat and vehicles.ide files that you have with the originals, and see if that solves the problem. Try spawning every single car in the game, using a trainer, and see which one makes it crash. If not, you're gonna have to reinstall the game and mod all over again.

Here's a useful tip from me

• Install no more than three or four at a time
  • Test every single mod you have installed after you install them
  • If every single one of those mods work, thats good
  • If the game crashes when testing them, then you know which mods may have caused the problems
  • Even better, spawn each car in turn using a trainer, then you know exactly which one is the problem
  • Go through your IMG and check you don't have two files the same.

I know you probably know all that, and you probably did do it for most of the 90 mods. The fact of the matter is that as soon as you get a bit slack, and install some mods without testing, thats when you could make a mistake, and you have no idea which car has caused it.

Good luck.

It happens to everybody at every setting (i've read this a million times and it happens to me2).

That's just the game (it's a memory issue). Second Edition freezes too.

You just have to wait like 20 seconds for it to un-freeze (maybe 40 seconds if your system sucks).

Thanks! I will give that a shot. Some cutscenes get through if I give it time but in my experience, in game freezing are final.

My Specs:

p4 3.0HT

100gb HD

1gb RAM

geforce 6800XT

The problem is almost certainly a defective mod or a mistake in modding.
  1. Virtually any road car could spawn there, including any planes overhead.
  2. Modded cars are no different to installed cars. In SA, you are simply overwriting the old with the new, and the game can't tell the difference.
  3. I've had this problem many times, and its usually a mistake when adding a mod.
  4. Could be a bad txd/dff, could be two versions of the same txd/dff (if you forgot to delete), or could be an error in the handling/carcols/default/vehicles files
  5. Try replacing the handling.dat, default.ide, carcols.dat and vehicles.ide files that you have with the originals, and see if that solves the problem. Try spawning every single car in the game, using a trainer, and see which one makes it crash. If not, you're gonna have to reinstall the game and mod all over again.

Here's a useful tip from me

• Install no more than three or four at a time
  • Test every single mod you have installed after you install them
  • If every single one of those mods work, thats good
  • If the game crashes when testing them, then you know which mods may have caused the problems
  • Even better, spawn each car in turn using a trainer, then you know exactly which one is the problem
  • Go through your IMG and check you don't have two files the same.

I know you probably know all that, and you probably did do it for most of the 90 mods. The fact of the matter is that as soon as you get a bit slack, and install some mods without testing, thats when you could make a mistake, and you have no idea which car has caused it.

Good luck.

I think you may be right there. I had to remod all over again and everything looked to be going fine until after the green sabre mission where the freezing started aroung the Mt Chilliad area. Im yet to test with a trainer but that is what im getting ready to do.

I am almost certain the problem lies within the IMG file as I backed up before modding all over again and then replaced it after experiencing freeze issues. Result is everything plays fine.

Thanks for the tips Gerard. And if you know any specific trainer name that will be helpful!

Cheers!

I (shamefully) use GTA SA Control Center

To spawn a car (that you've modded and wanted to test)

• download, install and run SACC, takes a while to load
  • click the "auto-inject" button on the front page (bottom left)
  • run SA, load a game, walk outside, alt-tab back into SACC
  • choose a car from the list to spawn, pess "spawn selected vehicle"
  • alt tab back into SA, and the vehicle should appear right in front of you
  • repeat for every car you've modded
  • if it suddenly crashes, you know that car is corrupted and restore your backup or check the handling etc for it

I (shamefully) use GTA SA Control Center

To spawn a car (that you've modded and wanted to test)

• download, install and run SACC, takes a while to load
  • click the "auto-inject" button on the front page (bottom left)
  • run SA, load a game, walk outside, alt-tab back into SACC
  • choose a car from the list to spawn, pess "spawn selected vehicle"
  • alt tab back into SA, and the vehicle should appear right in front of you
  • repeat for every car you've modded
  • if it suddenly crashes, you know that car is corrupted and restore your backup or check the handling etc for it

Mucho Gracias! Im on it!

Cheers!

Thanks for your input fellows. I have had the problem sorted out. It turned out to be 3 cars messing it up: Chevy K Blazer, which was working fine up until a few games ago; and 2 Audi's, which when viewed through the GGMM showed up incomplete or with no wheels, though I dont think that is conclusive.

Incidentally I didnt use the trainer as it wasnt near absolute in determining which mods were the causing the problems. It froze even if I didnt spawn the cars.

What I did was whenever the game froze I replaced the IMG with the backup and then drove around the area and see which cars I I didnt see/notice with the modded IMG. Then I put back the modded IMG and removed the mods I didnt see/notice. It was a bit tedious but it narrowed it down.

I hope it helps someone experiencing something similar.

Cheers! ;)