Don't get too excited at the moment though! The quiz section is being coded, so for a while it will be closed. You can still earn money by posting...Oooh look, I have got some money from posting this! (The money is only pretend, remember that, buddy. I know a few people who thought it was real and they died of laughter. No. Not literally.)

I have a question to ask that is a little off topic, but will the file attachment capacity always be 5mb maximum? Or will I be able to increase that somehow? Will it increase by the amount of money you have?

That is the current limit to stop useless uploads being uploaded or members uploading too much (eg all their screenshots) just because they don't have other means of hosting stuff.

Images can (and should) be hosted at ImageLodge.net, which is a site in our network. You can obviously use other image hosting sites (eg ImageShack) or your own webspace.

Being able to increase your capacity is an idea for what the money could be used for. I don't think the capability is there right now, but it is a possibility.

The other idea is to have two or three member groups.

A member group for 'veterans' (people who have been here for years and posted a lot) could allow them to bypass a lot of the restrictions like the word filter, upload limit and posting/searching delays.

A member group for new members, that doesn't allow them to create topics or upload anything could help the space and bandwidth issues, but would be inconvenient for new members that need to upload things.

A member group for VIPs, that could be bought either in points (but LOTS) or a small amount of real cash ($10/£5?). That wouldn't neccessarily indicate quality (like the veteran group), and would only be within the grasp of the rich and those with the facility to actually pay.

Any comments on those suggestions?

A member group for 'veterans' (people who have been here for years and posted a lot) could allow them to bypass a lot of the restrictions like the word filter, upload limit and posting/searching delays.

A member group for new members, that doesn't allow them to create topics or upload anything could help the space and bandwidth issues, but would be inconvenient for new members that need to upload things.

A member group for VIPs, that could be bought either in points (but LOTS) or a small amount of real cash ($10/£5?). That wouldn't neccessarily indicate quality (like the veteran group), and would only be within the grasp of the rich and those with the facility to actually pay.

1st group

Good idea. Like it.

2nd group

Not that good idea. Lot of new members come here just to open a topic or two and ask for help. And whether we like it or not, they keep this forum active. But maybe they shouldn't have any upload space. They'll have to upload files to other sites (like Rapid Share) insted of using the site's space if they're only one-time members.

3rd group

Need more info on that. What benefits do you actually get when/if you join?

via pay pal or something?

I think that peeps who want more space should be able to buy it. (points) So at the store you could buy a 5mb boost or something like that. Since if you download from rapidshare, you wont be able two for 80 minites after downloading.

New members haven't exactly got a good reputation for uploading... :erm:

New members, however should be able to create new topics, because most new topics are questions.

I like the veteran idea though :D

Is the VIP level purely cosmetic? Or will VIPs get extra privelages?

Need more info on that. What benefits do you actually get when/if you join?
Is the VIP level purely cosmetic? Or will VIPs get extra privelages?
A real-life cash-paying VIP member would probably have access to larger upload space, more tools, and would generally benefit from subsidising our hosting costs.
via pay pal or something?
Yep, payment would probaly be via paypal (including credit/debit card, cheque etc)
I think that peeps who want more space should be able to buy it. (points)

The problem with this is that a rich person could sign up, send money, and instantly have access to loads more just because their parents were rich. I don't like that idea - and I think that things should be fairer. This forum should be separate to real life. People should earn 'money' (or points) by doing good things here, not by just asking parents.

Here's some ideas as to how I would arrange it, but bear in mind I dont have the final say on this, and Chris hasn't even approved it at any level yet.

Veterans - Well-respected members, individually selected by the forum admins, that have some privileges and fewer restrictions. This would NOT be based on points, nor be purchasable.

Elevated Status - Any member can buy elevated status with a significant amount of points, which in itself would indicated they had posted a lot and spent a lot of time here.

OR

Big Poster - Members would automatically be promoted to a different group when they make a specific number of posts. This would be a basic change, and could apply to many different things. If the number is low (eg 30 posts), then that would prevent new members from doing certain things (or doing too much). If the limit was high (eg 300 posts) then that is just some extras for well-respected members.

VIP - Any member who has been on the forums for more than 6 months and has more than 100 posts can pay in real money to become a VIP

The idea I'm most fond of is the veterans group, since that gives the staff control and rewards members who have fulfilled ALL our criteria of being good members. It gives new members something to aspire to, and you can't just gain it by being rich or spamming. The other ideas simply attempt to replicate the good parts of the veterans idea, except the VIP group does help us by paying for our hosting costs in part, although if only one or two people join it won't make that much of an impact - bear in mind our hosting costs are in the hundreds of dollars.

Please remember NONE of these ideas have been finalised, approved, confirmed or decided upon.

Yeah this is a good idea. Probably one which can come into affect fairly soon as well.

No, really don't like this idea, like Akuma said, for a lot of members want to ask for help, and it benefits us if they upload a screenshot of the problem if helpful so not allowing them to do this is a big turn away.

Nice idea, and it could use IPB's internal subscription system, though I'm not sure how many people would pay. Perhaps if we threw in a free "The GTA Place T-Shirt" or some other merchandise (hats, mugs, mousemats, thongs) it may entice users