Tutorial Request: Modding

briceman92

Hi all.

I, like many people, am extreamly interested in making my own mods. I have attemped modding several times before, but it seems that the only things I can edit without getting an error message, followed by a game crash, are skins and txd files. I roughly understand what each type of file does, and have downloaded several recommended tools (ZModeler2, 3ds Max 8, TXDworkshop, IMGed/IMGtool, ColEditor, MooMapper). I understand the .col files handle collisions, .dff files are the models, and that .txd files are the textures. After downloading the tools and figureing that out, I stared at my monitor and said "Now what?" I came across THIS tutorial for map editing, and I have been successful at that. I do however want to mod weapons and cars. I have ideas, but I can't excute them. Everytime I edit a .dff file and load it into gta3.img, my game crashes. When I download mods, they work just fine. I've also been wondering, why do you have to create a .col file if the mods I download only have .txd and .dff? Do you have to create a .col file?

Ok, I'm sure that you are sick of reading my rant, so I'll get to the point. I would love if someone could write a tutorial for making a car mod. Not just for me, but for everyone here. (It would stop all of the "HOW DO U MAKE TEH MODS?!!1!1!?" threads...) I would much appreciate it if the tutorial would walk the reader through the entire proccess, from scratch, like they had never even heard of modding. I am hoping that it will include modeling, texturing, and of course, making the mod work. (And if anyone would like to go the extra mile, everyone loves screenshots.... :D)

Somebody taught you, isn't it only fair that you pass the knollege along? Pleeeeeeeease??? :blush:

I will eternaly love you if you help me with this. :P:wub:

Thank you so much in advance, :worship:

~Briceman

Edited by briceman92

well, non( or almost non) of us here are moders for dff models. There r a few topics started by tx3000 in the san andreas section, where chris gives a link to a place that does have modders. Try that.

I was going to post there to, that was my origional plan, to post both places. Theonly problem is, I can't log in! I am a member there, (guess what my name there is..... <_<.... :bleh:) but my password won't work. I went to the 'forgot password' form and filled that out. When I recieved the email and went to the link to make my new password, it yells at me after I try. It says that the "Validation Key is incorrect for this member". I'd talk to an admin or a mod, but I can't get the contact info unless I'm logged in! :(

Thanks though mate

Hi briceman92

Same prob here.I first tried to change the BillBoards at the Airport from Vice Air..... stuff to companies from my country(INDIA) ie Jet Airways,Air India etc.It worked.I too like ur IDEA of someone writing tutorial in simple english how to make car mods. :)

You can mail them can you. Otherwise jsut make a new account, since you can't log in.

maybe you find something here http://gta.gamigo.de/download.php?do=cat&id=25

Yeah, I don't know how, but I got it to work. I posted a new thread and got yelled at (I didn't see the tutorial request sticky :jumpon:) I then posted in that thread, but it's one of those threads that was a really good idea at the beggining, but it died down a lot and none of the modders check it anymore. (There's like 14 pages or something, lol)

Here (at the bottom)

I guess I'm back to square one. :'( Thanks though mate ;)