Forum Software Upgrade Soon

Chris

This is just a forewarning that soon we will be upgrading Invision Power Board, the software these forums are powered by.

We've always been quick to upgrade when InvisionPower release updates, and I'm planning on upgrading September 22nd when IPB 2.2 is released, albeit a beta version. As far as I know there are no major changes to any of the current code, which should hopefully mean that all our mods, the store and gangs and such, will still work with no problems after the upgrade.

We're now waiting until the final release of IPB 2.2 before we upgrade.

I guess you're all wanting to know what new features will be in this upgrade. You can find a link to Invision Power's announcement at the end of this post, but I'll just explain a few of the most noticeable changes, some of which are blatantly stolen from vBulletin, which is a good thing, as it brings them up to date.

• Completely redesigned profile pages
  • Clicking a username in a topic will now display a neat menu with links to the user's profile, their posts, send them a pm etc.
  • Revamped WYSIWYG editor in posts (this is all the buttons for making stuff bold, underlines, inserting links etc.) making it faster loading and less cluttered
  • Huge images are now automatically resized to fit in your browser window, and don't break the skin.
  • New attachment system - The attachment system has had a complete overhaul and is now styled along side the new text editor. If you're uploading more than one attachment per post the page won't need to reload after each upload.
  • Profile comments - Much like social networking sites such as MySpace and Bebo, you can now leave comments on other users profiles.

Of course there are many more improvements, a lot in the admin panel, and a lot in the code, such as security enhancements making it harder for the spam bots to get on here. I'm sure you'll all find them out for yourselves once the upgrade has taken place. If you're interested about all the new stuff then follow the link below to read the announcement at Invision Power.

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=226814

I knew that making the decision to upgrade was a bad idea, because there would be so many problems if he decided to follow through with it.

BUT he CAN'T upgrade to IPB 2.2 beta 1, it won't let you and you shouldnt work around it

AND if he did install it, he couldnt upgrade from beta 1 to beta 2, RC1 or 202 final.

Soo.. if he still wanted to do it, then he'd have to start tgtap all over again, then start it all over again for the final version. Sounds like fun.

You can view my IPB 2.2 beta 1 installation here

I knew that making the decision to upgrade was a bad idea, because there would be so many problems if he decided to follow through with it.

I don't understand, you make it sound as if you have some sort of inside knowledge. Plus the fact we haven't upgraded anyway....

With vBulletin there are no problems with upgrading beta's and RC's, and there didn't used to be any with IPB. They're just getting lazy with beta releases now and not making upgrade files.

Anyway what Gerard said is the reason why I haven't yet upgraded, because we can't upgrade to or from the beta version, which is a shame.

I didnt make it sound like I had inside knowledge - I voiced my initial concerns to you when I first read this topic, then when 2.2 was released and there was no upgrade path either way, thats obviously the deciding factor.

You made it sound like you didnt like me pointing that out...

And you also sound like you don't like IPB anymore... :P