75 users active in 60 mins :O

You know, yesterday I was browsing GTAS forum and seen that "online" bar. So, it said 6 guests and 40 members online atm. And you know wassup with GTAS? You can't view a forum at all if you don't register. So basically, if you'd link lot of the content to forums and make it unavaliable to read unless you register, that would instantly make more members. And some of them would stay active for sure.

That has actually been discussed before Slayer. Trouble is there's always a 50/50 chance of it failing or succeeding... which isn't really that good.

On the one hand, you get loads more members - loads of which will never post, they only reg to see the content.

On the other hand, you lose loads of visitors because they can't be bothered to sign up to access content.

Yeah I don't like that idea - it stops this being a public site.

Mind you, there are a lot of people we don't want as members - n00bs and people who only want to advertise and people who don't want to post.

The problem is not how to trick as many people as possible into registering, its how to to make many people want to post (and thus register before they can).

The other nice thing is that members are able to get a feel of the forum, and the way we conduct ourselves and behave, BEFORE they register and instantly create a topic about "hi hu r u im sam n i dno hu u r so tl me".

Yes I know it's risky, and I don't actually like that, because just as Gerard said, it stops being a public site. On the other hand, it did work for GTAS. And no, I don't want that kind of people as Gerard mentioned.

However, I believe it's obvious that staff isn't excately pleased with current situation, and it's not an option whether something has to be done if you want to get more active members on the forum.

So, anyone else has a suggestion?

I disagree, it is an option. This forum is doing very nicely, and for the past year its been relatively n00b and hacker-free. The thing is if we want to massively expand, to get some new blood in, then things have to be done.

I think we're perfectly content with the current situation, just ready for it to go up a level.

We just have to be absolutely careful about the type of traffic we get. It isn't a case of being unlucky if we get n00bs, its absolutely what we're gonna get unless people join for the RIGHT reasons - wanting to talk intelligently about GTA.

So we need to get ONLY those people involved. The best way to do that is involve the forums with the site a bit more - just so the people who DO dig deep into the site to find information they are genuinely interested in can then join the forums and enjoy life here.