Should N.Ireland & ROI unite?

Ciaran

• 2 weeks later...

I think it would solve a lot of problems if we let ROI have NI, but it would also create some more.

Firstly, organising the removal of a country from the UK is a big task, and lots of things (from maps to governments to taxes to textbooks) would have to be redone.

Secondly, some people may see this as the start of the breakup of the UK. Scotland already have their own parliament and are clawing for more and more power. It won't be too long before Scotland begin the calls to separate completely. If Northern Ireland succeed in separation through the decades of violence, then maybe we'll see some pretty bloody Scottish rebellions.

After that? I doubt that Wales would choose to go it alone, but the UK would not be seen as the great power the British Empire once was.

We conquered the world and gave it back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would like to reply to this topic, but this is a very complex issue which isn't possible to answer in one post.

Like it was said, the organisation of reuniting Ireland would be a huge task. Something similar to reuniting Germany. Obviously circumstances and scale are different. I don't know where this illusion that Northern Ireland is a country comes from... its not even a province.

Re-unification could have an unwanted economic effect on Ireland as a whole. Idealogically, there would be few opposed to it in the Republic, but economically it may be a whole other situation. There are some who are be set on getting it alone and don't think about the consequences. But unfortunately its in no way simple and can't be done on sentiment.

Because of all the recent revelations, it looks as if there may be hope, but I personally feel a little skeptical about the prospect of a deal. It just seems that the DUP are really left with no option but to deliver... but they have no intentions of doing so and will make every sorry excuse in the book to stay out of government with Sinn Fein. The thing about this is, that it has to be a shared government... so it won't function in the usual sense. This doesn't really pave the way for a united Ireland and I myself would never believe that the unionist(with UK) population in NI would agree to re-unification, only if they were forced to accept it by a majoity in favour in a referendum.

I feel myself that people outside of the island of Ireland don't properly understand the situation or the consequences of any decision. I would be in favour of reunification, but my opinions may change if it were to come at a price.