Do not abuse the report button.

Dave1

I have been noticing that many people are just using the report button to tell the mods things like 'I think cj would beat tommy in a fight" Please, only use the report button only if there is a genuine spam post or something that urgently needs cleaning up, It gets tiresome having to sort through the reports.

~ Crimson

I have been noticing that many people are just using the report button to tell the mods things like 'I think cj would beat tommy in a fight" Please, only use the report button only if there is a genuine spam post or something that urgently needs cleaning up, It gets tiresome having to sort through the reports.

~ Crimson

why would people even do that, though? if youre one of them reading this (doubtful), PM THEM INSTEAD OF REPORTING INFO TO THEM. i only report spam, nothing more, nothing less, and I'll continue to report spam.

Edited by man united to the death

~ Crimson

why would people even do that, though? if youre one of them reading this (doubtful), PM THEM INSTEAD OF REPORTING INFO TO THEM. i only report spam, nothing more, nothing less, and I'll continue to report spam.

Use The Quote Button, i think it will help alot to other members.....

Yes, well thats the same, Reporting It to them is like a Private Message, Some Members do that, they are obvisously n00bs that think forums are like a playground.

~ Crimson

Use The Quote Button, i think it will help alot to other members.....

Yes, well thats the same, Reporting It to them is like a Private Message, Some Members do that, they are obvisously n00bs that think forums are like a playground.

Not really, it's actually different here. Instead of every moderator getting the same PM, it's like a control panel, where the moderators can check the reports, and it becomes less confusing and less frustrating. Atleast I remember Chris implementing that.

The idea of the report button is that it jsut sends a quick message to all moderators saying "hey this post might be bad", they can check it out and delete it. It's nothing more than PMming a moderator or mentioning it on IM.

It is for any post that you think might need dealing with. The moderators can deal with it (if neccessary), eg editing/deleting/moving/suspending or whatever and that's that.

Don't overuse it stupidly to report spelling mistakes or someone saying something you don't agree with. And certainly don't ask staff questions using that. It is annoying and gets ignored.

Just use it if you see anything bad. Its almost like moderating yourself - finding out what needs to be dealt with. It is a great way of showing the admins that you would make a good moderator.

Our moderators know how to deal with all the issues they face on the forums. The problem is that if they haven't found the problem (eg a spam post or bot) then they obviously can't deal with them. Members who report these issues to the staff gives them the best opportunity to deal with the issues.

You don't need to contact a staff member every time you read a rude word or "don't like the sound of" someone, only if you see an obviously spam post or inappropriate content or whatever.

That member name is just a coincidence. It looks more like modsn's ex to me, or it could just be random letters (google says no). Dont report it unless its actually a really bad word, or if they start spamming.

However, it is worse not to report something than report something not that bad. Just be sensible - you're basically sending a PM/IM/email to a staff member saying "hey look at this, I think you might want to deal with it".

There are many levels of security implemented - the main one is requiring all new members to type in the letters they read in an image when they register (called CAPTCHA). This prevents computers from being able to register because they cannot interpret the images. Some computers are good at Optical Character Recognition (OCR), so we twist and swirl the letters in different fonts and add colours and gradients to make it near-impossible for computers to read.

The downside is that all it takes is human involvement for 3 seconds and the bot is registered and can post until they're banned. We can then IP ban them and everything else, but it isn't too complicated to bypass those measures.

Bots aren't too bad a problem anyway, and the admins can remove all their posts in roughly six seconds from noticing just one of them. That's why the staff look to the members to help do the noticing bit.

The downside is that all it takes is human involvement for 3 seconds and the bot is registered and can post until they're banned. We can then IP ban them and everything else, but it isn't too complicated to bypass those measures.

I'm not talking about banning from the forum with forum tools but banning from you whole server that they just can't acces it.

But how would a bot get a other proxy or IP adress?

By the person giving them one? A bot is just an auto-program. It does the exact same thing we're doing right now, only automatically.

Are bots the things which appear one the online user list e.g. google.com , ask.com ect... what are those?

Those ARE bots, but not the ones we're talking about.