HTML?

Ciaran

Once you've mastered the very basics of HTML (how it works) then its a good idea to start looking at the source of existing sites to see how they do things.

Bear in mind that you should probably learn xHTML, which is simply the new version of what everybody uses instead of old HTML 4.1 - the differences are small (such as <br /> instead of <br>) but its what you should use.

CSS is the next logical step (see my tutorials here) in web design - enabling you to make much more powerful design changes than color or cellpadding in the HTML itself.

Progressing onto scripting, whether client-side (Javascript) or server-side (PHP or ASP), is quite a big jump. It goes beyond web design, and into programming. The simplest way to describe PHP is as a way to manipulate your HTML before its sent to the user - you could add in things like the date, or extract stuff from a database, or include another html file into one - and the end user will never know its being used. Good fun to play with though.

I don't like frontpage - for a start its old, and its made mainly for formatting HTML - no help whatsoever with structure (other than tables) or PHP.

A lot of people use dreamweaver, and I suppose thats the easiest option.

Microsoft Expression Web Designer is a good bit of kit, and is the first I've seen that can easily make CSS designs, but its still in beta and isn't exactly amazing.

I personally prefer to hand code in EditPlus - it gets you closer to how everything works than any other program.