Words that are hard to distinguish

Naraku

What is the difference between pride, ego and self-esteem?

I have looked them up on the dictionary and they seem to share the same definition with each other, but I know they are somehow different from each other in term of meaning.

Whoever would like to post words that they can't figure the difference between them, please feel free to do so as this is the opportunity for us to learn from each other in term of understanding better at English language. Thank you!

They have the exact same meaning in the dictionary? Idk about them being the same. Ego is like your image basically.(Like let's say i'm the "cool guy" but I like to pay with barbies.Now I can't let anyone know about that cause it'll affect my ego and image.)Your ego or image is like what people think of you. Self-esteem is like if you feel good about yourself(which is good or high self esteem). I also know what pride is but can't seem to put it in words right now. Hope that helps out.

Edited by Nate10

OK, here goes. A more intellectual approach, mebbe?

Pride. This is how you feel about yourself and the things you do or are responsible for. You're proud of your work, or maybe proud of your brother, for doing something really well.

Ego. That's pretty much how you want others to percieve you. You'd rather be the "Cool Guy" than the "Weird fellow" most times. Projecting that you're the "Cool Guy" too vocally and too often will tag you agotistical, or arrogant, possibly.

Self-Esteem is how YOU truly feel about yourself. Not how you want others to think of you, or what you do, but how YOU specifically feel about the sum of your actions and self. Realistically, you could be very proud of what you do, present a very confident front yet still have a low self-esteem. Maybe everyone around you thinks you're great, but YOU don't believe it. That's low self-esteem.

I'm not a language expert, but I'm handy with words.

Pride. This is how you feel about yourself and the things you do or are responsible for. You're proud of your work, or maybe proud of your brother, for doing something really well.

Ego. That's pretty much how you want others to percieve you. You'd rather be the "Cool Guy" than the "Weird fellow" most times. Projecting that you're the "Cool Guy" too vocally and too often will tag you agotistical, or arrogant, possibly.

Self-Esteem is how YOU truly feel about yourself. Not how you want others to think of you, or what you do, but how YOU specifically feel about the sum of your actions and self. Realistically, you could be very proud of what you do, present a very confident front yet still have a low self-esteem. Maybe everyone around you thinks you're great, but YOU don't believe it. That's low self-esteem.

Yeah or egocentric which is where it comes from I bet (egocentric from ego). Yeah I think you have better definitions especially on pride (it's kinda hard to word it but you managed too pretty well). Clears things up now. :)

Yeah lol, have a lot of self-esteem there eh Nate? :P

Nah, jsut gotta protect my ego. :P

Ya,better than my definition since you know big words lol. I usually just try to say it, but ya, good thought.