Which country will drop the first...

TG187

Choose please  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which country will drop the first nuclear bomb?

• Iran
    • North Korea
    • USA
    • Russia
    • Japan

Nuclear bombs are, without doubt, the single biggest threat to our planet today. Forget Global Warming, ignore the notion that we're eating up fossil fuels like crazy and all the other stuff. Nukes can, in a single day, eradicate life as we know it.

Now I'm no expert, but I do know enough about nuclear bombs to understand it will take a lot of them going off, in a lot of areas, to destroy the whole planet. That is not to say a few going off in wide spread areas would screw us all up pretty badly. It's sad, really, if one considers what we've done. Mankind, as a whole, has created the method of destroying the entire planet in a single day. Imagine it. Man has worked, night and day, to create devices that can remove him from the equation. Pretty stupid of us, if you think about it.

My vote for who pops the next nuke (in anger, or war) is North Korea. Their lack of concern over the world being ticked is a big indicator, as it shows a lack of concern for what the rest of the world thinks of their actions. If they don't care that people, on a whole, are miffed about their testing, why would they hesitate if they felt threatened? There is no real guarantee that anyone will actually take the ultimate step in stupid and press the button, precipitating the end, so if luck rides with us, maybe we'll start moving faster on dismantling the nukes, to make our planet at least a little safer.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With regards to North Korea, I think the idea of "sensible" fell aside when they ignored the UN's request to NOT test their nukes. By ignoring the demand, they showed a lack of sense, and as for any "help" they're getting, the test they ran cut off a lot of aid from other countries, negating that end of the argument.

Looking to who will be the first to launch a nuke isn't a case of wondering who can "win" a nuclear war, since everyone loses in that instance. It's more a case of who is crazy enough to take the step that could spell the end. Rational thought, logic and demographics of the world (who can kick whose ass) don't play as much a part of the decision as who feels they are most independent.

Russis relies too much on outside aid to stir up a lot of trouble and they have sensible enough leaders to make them a low-risk party. Iran, while volatile and often irrational, by our standards, are wise enough to see that launching a nuke would hurt their cause more than help it, so they, too, fall aside as a potential threat. Japan, well, they have first-hand experience with what will happen in the event of being nuked, so we can hope their history would temper any rash decisions. The US prefers to bomb an enemy flat without using nukes, so they'd be more likely to wipe a country from the map with massive, ongoing bombing runs under conventional weapons than go for the one big boom.

At the end of it all, only North Korea has shown a blatant disregard for any of the world's opinions and views of their actions. They are the one country on the list who has enough independence to have a real chance of "living" without massive outside aid. Every other country on the list has either too much history or too much to lose to be a high risk of being the first to push a button.

Of course, this, like everything else posted thus far, is an opinion only, with my personal views to support it. Could turn out we're all wrong and maybe the UK (i believe they are nuke-enabled) will be the first to launch, for reasons we can't begin to imagine right now.

• 4 weeks later...