Official Playstation Discussion

Harwood Butcher

I always knew Blu-ray would win the format war, this is going to hurt MS a lot and there going to lose billions probably. If the open beta is coming out today, I will be on it to check. Other than that the Vice City looks nice.

Microsoft will NOT lose anything. Toshiba will/are losing billions. I don't understand why people think Microsoft own HD-DVD(R.I.P).

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Toshiba? I know they created it, but MS was its main backer of HD DVD, its in all 360 consoles which means its useless now. I heard (rumours) that there could be a 360 with a blu-ray player although I doubt it.

How, may I ask, is it useless now? It still works perfectly fine. I guess you think dvd players are useless now, too?

Actually, Microsoft will take a hit at HD DVD not beating out Blu-ray, Microsoft created HDi, the interactivity feature on all HD DVDs, (for special features, etc.). So, I'm *pretty sure* that Microsoft was getting some royalties from HD DVD, although I am not positive.

@Red Devil: lolwut? There isn't a single HD DVD drive in any model of the Xbox 360. There's an external drive, which will be dirt cheap next week according to some rumors (saying it'll be $49.99). And also, I wouldn't doubt an Xbox 360 external Blu-ray drive. In fact, I'd say its almost for sure coming. The BDA (Blu-ray Disc Association, yes, Sony isn't the only one in charge of Blu-ray as some fanboys like to think), is open to anyone joining. They've even gone as far as saying both Microsoft and Toshiba are "more than welcome" to join the BDA.

@GTA Don: Again, Sony doesn't control Blu-ray, AT ALL! Many electronic companies control BD, in fact, I'm quite sure that Panasonic has more patents on Blu-ray Disc technology than Sony does. The BDA is in charge, which is just like the DVD Forum (who was in charge of DVD, HD DVD), everyone is welcome to join and release Blu-ray products. Decisions are made by the BDA's board of directors, (Apple, Sony, Warner Brothers, Panasonic, etc.). Microsoft could release a BD drive for their 360, just like how Toshiba could also join and start releasing stand-alone players ASAP.

@Spaz The Great: It isn't useless, I mean, its just kind of a waste if you know what I mean. Its just not the same.

I've been following this format war for a while and also have quite a large collection of Blu-rays. :)

Toshiba? I know they created it, but MS was its main backer of HD DVD, its in all 360 consoles which means its useless now. I heard (rumours) that there could be a 360 with a blu-ray player although I doubt it.

How, may I ask, is it useless now? It still works perfectly fine. I guess you think dvd players are useless now, too?

Just because major filming companies are now backing Blu-ray meaning not many movies will come out on HD DVD. DVD players aren't useless but they will probably get pahsed out in the next 5 years or so.

Just because major filming companies are now backing Blu-ray meaning not many movies will come out on HD DVD. DVD players aren't useless but they will probably get pahsed out in the next 5 years or so.

That doesn't mean they are useless. They are very useful. You can play your HD-DVDs in them. That would be like saying VHS players are useless. No they aren't. You can play your VHS tapes in them.

And on a more ON-TOPIC note....

Resistance 2 has been confirmed for release this fall with the possibility of a demo in July.

Insomniac Games is currently developing Resistance 2, which will release this fall, exclusively for PlayStation 3.

Read more here: http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/2636.html

Edit: Metal Gear Solid now has a speculated release date (not been confirmed yet but rumoured), it is rumoured to come out June 12th.

Edited by FallenClyro

And on a more ON-TOPIC note....

Resistance 2 has been confirmed for release this fall with the possibility of a demo in July.

Insomniac Games is currently developing Resistance 2, which will release this fall, exclusively for PlayStation 3.

Read more here: http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/2636.html

Edit: Metal Gear Solid now has a confirmed release date, it will be hitting retail stores on the 12th of June.

Where did you get the information related to MGS 4's release date?

Some of you may have already heard that Phil Harrison, current president of Sony's worldwide game studios, is resigning from his position February 29th. CEO, Kaz Hirai, will be taking Harrison's place as president as a result. Because of his resignation, PlayStation Home's completion may take longer than expected or might come sooner than some think. Although the same people are working on it, maybe Harrison had an impact on the delay. You never know.

Please post any information you have on this and post your thoughts as well.

Some of you may have already heard that Phil Harrison, current president of Sony's worldwide game studios, is resigning from his position February 29th. CEO, Kaz Hirai, will be taking Harrison's place as president as a result. Because of his resignation, PlayStation Home's completion may take longer than expected or might come sooner than some think. Although the same people are working on it, maybe Harrison had an impact on the delay. You never know.

Please post any information you have on this and post your thoughts as well.

Yeah I heard if that. When Kaz Hirai takes his place, I'm hoping that Home will be released a bit quicker or he might just delay it again. I wonder why Phil would want to resign.