Official Playstation Discussion

Harwood Butcher

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok so I got MGS3 since you guys said I should and now when I start it up in my PS3 it gets to the main screen. I press Start. I press New Game... then it returns me to the start screen. In fact, whichever option I choose, it always returns me to the start screen. FUCK. So I googled and most places say it's fully backwards compatible which is good. Only found one other instance of someone having the same problem and that was way back when firmware 1.70 was the latest.... obviously years ago.

Only thing I can think of is that I'm playing on a monitor rather than a TV, i.e., 1920x1200... so perhaps the 1080p isn't upscaling the height properly for PS2 games and it's throwing an error and sending me to the start screen again...fuck knows though. Anyone got any ideas? All my PS3 games are fine obviously. Haven't tried any other PS2 games but yeah.

Someone help or everyone who's posted in here recently gets banned!! Well you won't but yeah I really want to play this game etc.

EDIT: tried changing display down to 720p... still same problem... then down to standard PAL resolution of 576i... nope, same problem. So I've ruled out resolution. Fucking hell. Can't be arsed finding my PS2 and setting it up just for this. Why does no one else have problems with MGS3 :(

If no one here knows what's going on then I'd suggest taking the game to a store and have them try it out to see if it's the disk or your console. If it's the disk then bitch up a storm with whoever sold it to you. If it's the console then take it to a store and have them try it.

By the way, which PS3 do you have? 20GB, 40GB, 60GB or 80GB?

Can I ask where can you download updates for the PS3?

If you're PS3 is hooked up to the internet then it should prompt you to update. If you're not then you'd have to find the download on the official PlayStation 3 website.

I have MGS3 so I'll try it out on my PS3 and see what happens.

Btw is it the normal version or the Subsistence one?

Edit: Tried each version in my full HD tv and it worked well.

Also checked the playstation site and both versions should work well.

Normal.

By the way, which PS3 do you have? 20GB, 40GB, 60GB or 80GB?

60GB of course. Only EU version that has backwards compatibility.

Chris, try checking the PS2 scaling options in the menu. If that doesn't work, it might be your copy.

Full or Normal? I tried both and neither had an effect.

Chris it sounds like the disc is your problem, all my PS2 games work fine on my 60GB model and I have a HDTV.

Maybe, it's not very scratched though. I could hook it up to a TV instead of monitor and see if for some weird reason that actually makes a difference. First I'm going to try some other PS2 games and see what happens with them.

Alright so I just started up San Andreas on it and it did the exact same thing. Intro video etc. all played fine, then when the game itself actually started the screen went completely black.

So I changed some settings on my monitor to do with image size, went back to the game and it was actually there on the screen. Seems to have fixed it.

Put MGS3 back in and tried that. Still fucked up though. The disc is fine. I will try it in my PS2 later. If it's fucked up in that then I know it's a problem with the disc. If not then I'll try my PS3 on a TV rather than a monitor and try to determine if it's a screen resolution problem. Can't think why it would matter though. Really strange.

EDIT: FUCK ME. I feel semi-retarded now, however, why I thought it wasn't working is understandable since I'm NOT JAPANESE.

I dunno how many of you are aware but you know how we're all used to pressing X as the "start" or "continue" button on menu screens to go forward to the next screen? Well, the Japanese use the O button to do this. On some Japanese games, Gran Turismo games prior to the third one were like this, except Sony were clever and made it so you could press X or O to continue, and Square or Triangle to go back.

No such joy on MGS3 (or at least my copy, and I checked the SLES code, it's a normal UK copy). Konami seem to have made it so you can ONLY press O to go forward, not X. Of course I've been pressing X all the time like a normal UK gamer which was going backwards a screen rather than forward. Oh well. At least I know how the fuck to work the game now... I'm glad I managed to figure it out for myself actually :P

I swear MGS2 was never like this.

So, how long can I expect completing MGS3 to take me? If I recall, they're fairly long games aren't they?

VERY long. Took 45 minutes just to get through all the cutscenes up to where you retrieve your backpack from the tree right in the beginning of the game. Though I'm not sure if it counts the time you've had the game paused :P

Got a completely different problem now anyway, and this time it IS because I'm using a monitor and not a TV. Monitor is 1920x1200, PS3 obviously 1920x1080. PS3 automatically stretches the vertical resolution to 1200 so it fits on my screen. However, the PS2 upscaling only takes it up to 1080, but doesn't go further to 1200 for 16:10 resolutions... so every 60 seconds my monitor displays a stupid "Not Optimum Resolution/Mode" message on the screen, then after another 60 seconds goes to a black screen. I can get it back by switching source or turning off/on... but that's too much hassle to do it every 60 seconds. It's so fucking stupid. I know so many people who play their games on monitors rather than TV's and can't believe Sony haven't tested little things like this more thoroughly. Clearly a really small oversight when the PS3 itself is fine, and PS2 emulation isn't.

I can't find any way to stop this message from appearing, nor are there any options for PS2 upscaling aside from "normal" or "full", both of which make no difference to the problem.

Oh right, well maybe MGS2 did have that then. Must've got used to it back then and just completely forgot.

Oh yeah I added you on PSN last week when I posted I did here, but I noticed you aren't on my friends list now... might have fucked up after the 2.70 update? Add me next time you go on or something, or I'll add you again if I'm on later.

Let me help you out with that.

EDIT: FUCK ME. I feel am semi-retarded now, however, why I thought it wasn't working is understandable since I'm NOT JAPANESE.

:thumbsup:

I've done some worse things with shit like that in the past. Everyone eventually does something like that at some point...if you didn't see my original post...I didn't even know how to turn the fucking PS3 on at first.

Has anyone played Home recently?

BTW, how full's your friends list? I'm guessing it's bursting already.

Ha! Nope it's not actually. And tbh my 360 list isn't that big either. Probably 70-80 people on that. Haven't been on the PS3 for a few days but there's only like 4 or 5 people I've added. I'll go and add you now actually while I'm here.

Most people here haven't added me, either because they don't know or don't care. I guess when I actually start playing multiplayer stuff people will start adding and I'll have a stupidly long friends list full of people I don't know and never play with :P

In many ways it's better being less popular. So many people on 360 add me and like, most I don't even know who they are. Hardly ever play on it now either :P

Good to hear you're getting a PS3 too TM!

I'll send you a request when I'm next on, later tonight. Also, what games have you got for it? Apologies if you've already mentioned it, or, you could PM me the list. I'm kinda the same with my PSN list, there are people on there I forgot adding. Some just play GTA4, which I stopped playing online ages ago, and others play COD WAW, which is just sucky. Lots of them mainly play KZ2, have to start playing that more.

EDIT: Fucksticks, didn't see your other post either. Occasionally, the friend request thing goes wrong, for whatever reason. It might be because the other person deleted it, or you sent 2 of them because it was loading slowly, or something similar. Or, the firmware update, as you said.

Is it a 40GB or 80GB? I'm presuming 80. You'll love KZ2, but a tip - raise the sensitivity to maximum, if you prefer moderate sensitivity. And do you mean HAWX, or you bought one of Tom Clancys Hawks? lol. If you want any games recommended, just say, and you'll be inundated with lists from me and other members, I'm sure.

Bought The Orange Box yesterday for £12.99 2nd hand, and it's good fun. Only played HL2 and Portal so far. On Act 2 in HL2, and done over 15 puzzles for Portal, I believe.

Edited by Bateman.

If you're on your PS3 right now then you should be adding us :P

BTW, anyone hooked their PSP to their PS3. Many games you can use it with yet? I heard in some of the racing games they're planning to make it act as a live rear view mirror which is about one of the only cool use I can see for it to be honest. I'd like for that to be in GT5.

Apart from that I think the fact you can link them up is fairly pointless.

If you're on your PS3 right now then you should be adding us :P

BTW, anyone hooked their PSP to their PS3. Many games you can use it with yet? I heard in some of the racing games they're planning to make it act as a live rear view mirror which is about one of the only cool use I can see for it to be honest. I'd like for that to be in GT5.

Apart from that I think the fact you can link them up is fairly pointless.

Linking them up comes in handy when you want to have a shit load of videos and music on your PSP, but can't get a memory stick that can hold all of it.

One of the things that I found interesting is that you could use your PSEye through your PSP...sort of makes your PS3 a very expensive security camera...for one room. :thumbsup:

I have my PSP with me, might try to link it up to my PS3 etc.

And lol, I would of added most of you dudes, but after that I went off to play KZ2. :P Anyways I'll add you guys. I also got the Gioteck Bundle with my PS3, pretty cool, although the Bluetooth headset sucked a little, made a voice sound even weird.