NPC model replacement, easy method?

bakuretsu

I don't know a ton about modelling, but from the little bit of model and animation adjustments I've done for our show, I can offer a possible explaination.

1) Since it's using the Renderware engine, you'd likely need models that are compatable with it. I'm only guessing here, but I think that would involve changing a lot of rigging, to say nothing of...

2) The animations. They'd have to be added to if it's even possible; I've edited a few animations with Kam's scripts, but never made a new one, or even a clone of one. Or they could could be recreated entirely from scratch, but as you mentioned, this is probably not worth it.

3) There's also the way the animations are called in the game. Most are done through the exe (I'm thinking the tools that R* uses has a direct way of applying the mission opcodes directly in the exe for the basics of the game), and some are done with the mission script. You'd need to be able add a new opcode for what you want your actor-animal to do in any given situation. This is possible; the Sanny Builder team has created a patch for SA that allows direct memory access via the mission script, but creating your own functions might require a sizeable knowledge of hacking the exe.

I think the best route would be to use the exsiting models and modify them to suit your purpose. But remember, you might have to adjust the animation files as well. Not trying to discourage you from trying this or other methods, but I felt chatty and wanted to pass along some of what I learned. :)

For more info about modelling in the game, check out the tutorials section of GTA Forums

Edited by ceedj

Thanks. I might have found it.

Exporting VC Character with Max:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=177702

It looks like you can import the VC model and your model, delete the VC mesh, and then line up your mesh over the bones of the VC model. There are a lot of prerequisite steps missing (like how to get the VC model into Max), but this shows it is possible and may even be fast/easy once you get the hang of it.

I wonder if it will cause glitching, like parts of your new model sinking into walls and sticking out through car doors.

No, right at the top of the tut, it tells you how to get the models into 3DS Max for editing. And this might be true if you are familiar with 3DS Max, but I found nothing about doing this fast OR easy. ;)

And as long as the bone structure matches up, you should be ok. Anything drastic will require changes to the animation (ifp) files.

Good grief, it's not rocket science. Unzip the scripts to your 3DS folders (listed in the read me). Fire up 3DS. Load Kam's DFF I/O script. Load the player.dff from the dialog. Edit away.

What's so hard about that? And I'm not even a regular modeller.

And to my knowledge, Kam's Scripts are the only ones available for importing GTA DFF's into 3DS. I "think" Hollower made a Blender script, but I'm not sure I remember how well it works. If you don't like how it's done, you are certainly free to write your own. :)

EDIT: The reason that "next to nobody" knows how to mod the games is that a LOT of people want the info spoon fed to them, and in general, the modders tend not to do that. In the case with Kam's scripts, it's assumed that you know a bit about 3DS and how to work the MaxScript, at least to some degree.

Edited by ceedj

:lolbounce:

I just love that thing. I dunno why.

(from the post linked above)

Tools you need: MyDFF IO v0.43b For Max

1. Run my DFF IO script and import the standard VC player.

- Make sure Auto Skin(Little 'A' button beside 'Skin the character' button) is unchecked before import

That's it. That's all you need to do to import. If you can't get past that, find a few 3DS Max tutorials first.

Hey, just trying to help buddy. I've used this method and it works. If you wish to find another way of doing it, feel free. It's all good. I was simply pointing out that a topic entitled "Exporting VC Character with Max" does indeed explain how to import the model first.

Good luck. :)

Edited by ceedj

Here's the problem: your point is well made, but all this anger about it really isn't helping anyone. It's also never made apparent in your posts that you've ever done anything like this before. I had (incorrectly) assumed that you had done some basic model making or swapping. For that, I do apologize.

Therefore, to answer the original question, easy method? No. You need to extract the files with IMG Tool, edit the texture, edit or create your own mesh, rebuild the texture, and import both the texture and model back into GTA with the IMG tool.

My advice would be to start with some manual car mod installs, so you get a feel for extracting and re-importing models and textures for the game. From there, move on to some basic box modeling and texturing, and getting it into the game.

Again, apologies for the misundestanding. :)