Jack Thompson

Stojko

Everyone who is a Grand Theft Auto fan knows who Jack Thompson is. This is a somewhat older article I found on Google when I was casually searching around with his name, and it seems that he's going after The Sims 2 now, as well as Grand Theft Auto. Ha.

He's stating now that the content in the Sims 2 is actually worse than Hot Coffee, and you know what he's referring to? The blurs that can be taken out with modifications when the Sims are doing things that you do in normal life, ex. using the washroom. I know this has nothing to do with Grand Theft Auto itself, but I figured I'd just post it since this guy is also against the GTA series.

The sub-headline posted by Gamespot states: "Miami attorney Jack Thompson claims cheat codes make EA's life sim a pedophile's paradise by showing genitalia; calls for ban on T-rated game."

The article can be read here: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/22/news_6129609.html Post your thoughts on this guy and what he's trying to do to the world of gaming. I know he just doesn't want children and young teenagers to be exposed to this kind of thing, but I thought it would be a good topic for debate in Serious Chat. I'm not aware of any other posting of this particular article on the site, but if it has been posted before, I'm sorry. :)

There's even some more information on what other things the guy has done on Wikipedia.

Edited by Google Guru

That's why I made a fake interview with the bastard last year. JT claims that with cheats and mods, you can see your sims' genitalia. After that, someone from EA said that sims are like Barbies and Ken dolls...nothing there.

JT went after Bully because it featured the main character as a school bully. When he was proven wrong, he found out about the fact that you could make out with guys. I think he wrote to ESRB, saying how he has found bisexual content in Bully and that ESRB has good luck with that "Teen" rating now or something.

• 3 weeks later...

I've read the articles about JT , i think that he's too over-protective. He wants kids like me (im 13) to grow up into politicians , teachers and other non-life endangering jobs. I think that he wants to ban these kind of games so we dont become drug kingpins or mafia hitmen , but the chance in this is EXTREMLY minimal. I think all the articles about him , and all the stuff he's said is complete and utter bullshit. Since he commented on the sims , i think hes just an attention seeker , and a wasted scumbag who wants to ruin lives for young children.

Jack Thompson is a f***ing moron. Rockstar, or Electronic Arts, should put him in one of their games so we could kick the shit out of him. Put someone in a GTAIV mission that looks a lot like him and call him "Tom Jackson". Then all we'd have to do is interogate him in the one mission by kicking him and shit. Then later on we'd kill him...it'd be great.

Jack Thompson is a f***ing moron. Rockstar, or Electronic Arts, should put him in one of their games so we could kick the shit out of him. Put someone in a GTAIV mission that looks a lot like him and call him "Tom Jackson". Then all we'd have to do is interogate him in the one mission by kicking him and shit. Then later on we'd kill him...it'd be great.

You do know that if this happened without his consent he could sue Rcokstar Games.

You do know that if this happened without his consent he could sue Rcokstar Games.

What would he sue them for? They wouldn't be using his actual name and just because the character would look like him doesn't mean it is him...

Putting them in a game so you could beat him up would leave them open for a law suit.

Not if it isn't him, though. "Tom Jackson", an older looking male with white hair who might happen to be a lawyer wouldn't definitely be him. That breaks no laws, and it simply makes fun of someone. And GTA always makes fun of people. If he wanted to wait until HE was in the cross-hairs, then that would prove he doesn't give a shit about anyone but himself.

Sadly, it's not that easy. He could clam it was him and still have a strong case because of the name, and the persons job. This is what happened with the e-mails on the official LCS website and game content that was having a stab at him. Same goes for the SA mod that had him in, even though i it they used his name of course.

People like this are just like the people that worry about global warming - they are pathetic because they have nothing else to worry about. Regardless of whether or not you believe in global warming, or whether or not we are causing it, there's nothing that we can do about this.

And people like this that try to take away video games that are violent really irritate me. I still think it's better for me to kill a few people or wreck a few cars on a video game than it is in real life; I've come close to doing it in real life but it's equally as stress relieving to do it in the game.

BTW, if Hillary wins the election there will be no more GTA or violent video games.

People like this are just like the people that worry about global warming - they are pathetic because they have nothing else to worry about. Regardless of whether or not you believe in global warming, or whether or not we are causing it, there's nothing that we can do about this.

And people like this that try to take away video games that are violent really irritate me. I still think it's better for me to kill a few people or wreck a few cars on a video game than it is in real life; I've come close to doing it in real life but it's equally as stress relieving to do it in the game.

BTW, if Hillary wins the election there will be no more GTA or violent video games.

Really? That majorly sucks, well luckey over here in Aussie Land we dont get people like that, they actully said that more kids should be playing games like Grand Theft Auto and the Sims, coz they have educational perpose, dont know what that is but i like it.

Everyone who is a Grand Theft Auto fan knows who Jack Thompson is. This is a somewhat older article I found on Google when I was casually searching around with his name, and it seems that he's going after The Sims 2 now, as well as Grand Theft Auto. Ha.

He's stating now that the content in the Sims 2 is actually worse than Hot Coffee, and you know what he's referring to? The blurs that can be taken out with modifications when the Sims are doing things that you do in normal life, ex. using the washroom. I know this has nothing to do with Grand Theft Auto itself, but I figured I'd just post it since this guy is also against the GTA series.

The sub-headline posted by Gamespot states: "Miami attorney Jack Thompson claims cheat codes make EA's life sim a pedophile's paradise by showing genitalia; calls for ban on T-rated game."

The article can be read here: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/22/news_6129609.html Post your thoughts on this guy and what he's trying to do to the world of gaming. I know he just doesn't want children and young teenagers to be exposed to this kind of thing, but I thought it would be a good topic for debate in Serious Chat. I'm not aware of any other posting of this particular article on the site, but if it has been posted before, I'm sorry. :)

There's even some more information on what other things the guy has done on Wikipedia.

I hate jack, Alls he does is try to take down the best game titles

that jerk

What would he sue them for? They wouldn't be using his actual name and just because the character would look like him doesn't mean it is him...

Yeh but everybody would know it is him he could sue them you know.

Good news is that Jack Thompson himself is facing a disciplinary hearing for professional misconduct...

Among the counts of misconduct facing Thompson, three are directly related to the activist attorney’s ongoing campaign against video game violence. Those counts involve Thompson’s participation as plaintiff’s attorney in Strickland vs. Sony, a high-profile lawsuit he brought against several video game industry defendants in Alabama in February, 2005.

In the suit, Thompson represented the families of two Fayette, Alabama police officers and a police dispatcher murdered by an 18-year-old Grand Theft Auto player in 2003. At the time of his arrest for the killings, Devin Moore reportedly said, “Life is like a video game. You have to die sometime.” Moore, subsequently convicted of the murders, now sits on Alabama’s Death Row. Thompson was not involved in the criminal case against Moore.

Read full article

• 1 month later...

Mr. Jack Thompson doesn't understand the difference between a 'cheat code' and a 'hack' or 'mod'. Cheat codes are built into the game, hacks/mods are not. (obviously, though only JT can't understand this) If the developer of this content is not by the company that made the game, then there should be no attacks against the game or the developer, but toward the hackers.

Yes, hacks/mods sometimes use codes (i.e: Gameshark codes) to mod the game, but again, they are not made by the developers.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Vicehog