Your Religion / Beliefs

Chris

I've never actually went to a church before. I have been in one but it was a school trip to listen to some extremely (No offense) boring Gospel Music. Ugh. I'm not that active in religion, I don't consider myself to be religious either. I don't think there is a god out there or ever was. Well, I used to think that there was but not any more.

I don't think anyone in my family apart from my Aunt who lives across the pond in America believes in a certain religion.

There's a "war" (I use that term loosely) or "Anti-Sectarianism" in Glasgow. There is always some murder there every week or so because someone is Roman Catholic or Protestant. I have to say, I don't feel safe ever going into that city. I go to Glasgow every other month (The last time I went was in August/September but I was going to go last weekend but I had to postpone it due to the exams I have right now).

not that i like to admit it a lot but i am technically a roman catholic...

it was however forced upon until i told my mum where to shove her religion... well not exactly like that but i "quit" so to speak

alot of my family were like why did you do it and i was like well i dont need some 'god' to tell me what to do or how to be a good person i can work that out for myself i have a sense of morals and stuff, plus have you read the catechism lately? if not, dont it is in my opinion a whole load of shite.

and apparently the pope is 'gods' mouthpiece, ok then why does each pope come out with a different rendition of 'gods' words?

anyway enough of the rant...

That's exactly my case, I also "quit" some time ago but I don't usually talk about that with my family since it would upset them.

my family is greek orthodox as am i. i go to church not that regularly, just on important events, so it works out to be like once a month or every 2 months.

they used to have the service only in (ancient) greek, which i couldnt understand (nor could my mum or grandparents lol...)they could pick up a bit of it.."oh something about mary" lol. now they do it in greek, then in english. its ok i guess just a bit long :P

I'm Macedonian Orthodox

I only go to church for easter lol and some other special occasions

unlike WRX22B1998, i can speak my language, Macedonian, so can my whole family.

So therefore i can call my self Macedonian

and i dont wanna hear anyones shit on how Macedonia is Greek ok?

good

I think Catholic is abit dumb, i mean popes arent allowed to get married, so then they go and rape lil boys

well in Australia atleast

Edited by macorules94

LWAL.

Yep because us Aussie popes love to touch them boys.

Australia really? That would be the last place I'd think of. I thought most boy touchers were in Europe.

Also, most people that call themselves religious that don't visit the Church regularly don't really know much about their faith. Which seems rather pointless to say you're whatever religion. Say what you really believe in, instead of calling yourself something you think you are just because you've been to a church before.

If you stopped going on about it then people might not say stuff like that.

---

It seems reasonable to be discussing religion towards Christmas since it is quite a religious month in a way. Not many people actually see Christmas as a religious event. People see it more as "Santa", presents etc.

Materialism more like.

Materialism is actually the right word to explain Christmas. It's all about Christmas Sales and getting what you want this Christmas. That's what everyone thinks, even if you believe you don't, that's the actual fact of what Christmas is. Some of you may not believe what I said, but I'm looking at it right now, and it's all about getting the money. Things have seriously changed since I was a kid, I'm Indian, yet I use to celebrate it. I use to love being around my family in a comfortable warm house watching Tom & Jerry or The Simpsons, and where has it ended up?... Basically in a cold hearted house where I don't have any good channels on TV, as well as getting no presents. I'm hopefully going to get myself a present, for all the hard work and shit I've been through throughout the years.

I think that, definitely. With the amount of adverts on the TV nowadays explaining the amount that something has been dropped in price, they just want you to buy more of their stuff and yet they are still making a huge profit. I'm not sure if this is happening in a Woolworths near you but they are offering up to 50% off everything in store, I know they are in a huge financial crisis but why are they doing it? I think Christmas is all about Giving, not "If I get you something then you will have to get me something". That's what it's all about nowadays, never fair.

I'm Macedonian Orthodox

I only go to church for easter lol and some other special occasions

unlike WRX22B1998, i can speak my language, Macedonian, so can my whole family.

good

I think Catholic is abit dumb, i mean popes arent allowed to get married, so then they go and rape lil boys

How ever many times you say it or wish it to be true, first there was Greece and then Macedonia became a kingdom within Greece. Therefore Macedonia = Greek. It may be its own country now, but you can't just completely ignore your heritage like that considering how much you go on about it. Also, probably Macedonia's greatest individual was Alexander the Great, or Alexander the III of Macedon. Which according to wikipedia "was an ancient Greek King (basileus) of Macedon (336–323 BC)".

You obviously don't know much about Catholicism if you believe that. Firstly, there is but ONE Pope at a time, not Popes. Yes they aren't allowed to marry, because they have devoted their lives to the teaching of God. It's not a matter of, "well, I can't have a wife so I'm going to find a young boy and thrust my Holy manhood into him."

It's Priest's who do this and those who do are in the very vast minority. I can't remember the last time, if any, where I heard an Aussie Priest raping young boys. There may very well be, but I'm saying I can't recall. You usually hear that shit happening in the US or Europe as Slyde said.

I agree that Christmas has become so materialized that so many people nowadays don't even know what the whole meaning behind it is. I bet if I asked some of the kids I coach today at work what Christmas is really about, they would have no idea :P

Atheist. I personally think it all is ridiculous. (Complete opinion. Don't flame me.)

I celebrate Xmas though, because, one - my family is southern baptist, and two - I need a new headset.

Not a flame or conversion. But the best you could possibly say is that you are agnostic (don't know if there is or isn't a God). Since you are not God, you don't know the sum of the whole universe and there lies the paradox of claiming to be an atheist. Many atheists will say, "There is no proof of God, Heaven or Hell". However since there is no proof there isn't you can't state for a scientific fact that God doesn't exist.

Now if you claim to know for a fact that there is no God in the sum of the universe, you are claiming you have God-like powers (knowledge beyond mortal man) and proclaiming yourself to be God. And then you are saying you don't exist.

The atheistic paradox, have a Merry Christmas and God bless you!

ToonSkull :clapping:

Atheist. I personally think it all is ridiculous. (Complete opinion. Don't flame me.)

I celebrate Xmas though, because, one - my family is southern baptist, and two - I need a new headset.

Not a flame or conversion. But the best you could possibly say is that you are agnostic (don't know if there is or isn't a God). Since you are not God, you don't know the sum of the whole universe and there lies the paradox of claiming to be an atheist. Many atheists will say, "There is no proof of God, Heaven or Hell". However since there is no proof there isn't you can't state for a scientific fact that God doesn't exist.

Now if you claim to know for a fact that there is no God in the sum of the universe, you are claiming you have God-like powers (knowledge beyond mortal man) and proclaiming yourself to be God. And then you are saying you don't exist.

The atheistic paradox, have a Merry Christmas and God bless you!

ToonSkull :clapping:

If that's the way you want it, then Christian's would have to be called agnostic too, as you said, what proof is there that god exists or not?

I call myself an Athiest because I want to, and so do many other people, just like Christian's do.

Christian's believe that God exists, Athiests believe that God doesn't exist.

:clapping:

Edited by Connor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I personally am a very strong pentecostal Christian, and am very limited about evolution beliefs. I do believe in Adam and Eve, and I do believe that some small form of evolution may have taken place, but started and guided by God.

I am strongly against legalized murder (a.k.a. Abortion) and gay rights.

I try not to be discriminatory towards those of other religions/ athiests and the gay/ bi community.

Well then where did you come from?

Even if you evolved and all that, all the hydrogen gas, etc. had to come from somewhere now didn't it? :rolleyes:

Go read the bible, it's your proof.

I personally am a very strong pentecostal Christian, and am very limited about evolution beliefs. I do believe in Adam and Eve, and I do believe that some small form of evolution may have taken place, but started and guided by God.

I am strongly against legalized murder (a.k.a. Abortion) and gay rights.

I try not to be discriminatory towards those of other religions/ athiests and the gay/ bi community.

Even if you evolved and all that, all the hydrogen gas, etc. had to come from somewhere now didn't it? :rolleyes:

You first of all say you don't want to be discriminatory to atheists, then you say "Go read the bible, it's your proof". I call that discriminatory, to an atheist. And to know how the Hydrogen gas came from, read some science books and facts. If you really do want to start acting less of a Pro-Christian, then stop saying that atheist are wrong and that the belief of it isn't right/shows nothing to you.

In my opinion, religion is something to believe in and to give your life a purpose. I'm not sure if God is real because there is not really any proof at all. Apparently there is scientific evidence that says that Adam and Eve didn't actually exist. A lot of my RE teachers also say that whoever believes that God created the world in 6 days is an idiot, so also that is in the bible which may not be true. I really think that religion is only good to give people something to believe in and to give their life a purpose eg. get into heaven, or to avoid karma. Religion; as well all have seen can cause wars and terrorist acts which is bad. The wars in middle eastern countries have been due to terrorism, and terrorism is due to the participants religion.

Edited by Scott.

Even if you evolved and all that, all the hydrogen gas, etc. had to come from somewhere now didn't it?

Yes, it did have to come from somewhere. That place is, the same place 'god' came from. See, you don't know where he came from, only he's allowed to know because he's superior to you. Apparently.

Personally I refuse to be belittled by that, I'm a man of science, because science doesn't think I'm stupid and have to make up stories about Samaritans and fish to get it's point across. I says 'Hi Neil, guess what i found out today, yeah, we descended from apes, cool, huh? Look, how our advanced DNA analysis backs this up, look how similar our body structures are, and how they use tools, just the way we do.' Christianity says: 'Love your neighbour as yourself' - Well, that only works if your neighbour isn't an ass. God's neighbour is Satan (oh yeah, everyone's our neighbour too) and I'm pretty sure they didn't meet up for muffins and coffee every 2nd Tuesday of the month.

Oh, and science kind of knows it doesn't know where that shit came from. I doesn't say 'uhh yeah, we do know.. but... we're not telling :hurrhurr: '

This is one of the reasons why I am not religious. How is a book right? Because it's the bible? Wow.

I also don't like how you have to obey to certain rules (e.g: no sex till your married), why should I follow my life in the way that a book tells me to? Life is completely pointless then.

Yes, I am all for evolution.

Even if you evolved and all that, all the hydrogen gas, etc. had to come from somewhere now didn't it?

Yes, it did have to come from somewhere. That place is, the same place 'god' came from. See, you don't know where he came from, only he's allowed to know because he's superior to you. Apparently.

Personally I refuse to be belittled by that, I'm a man of science, because science doesn't think I'm stupid and have to make up stories about Samaritans and fish to get it's point across. I says 'Hi Neil, guess what i found out today, yeah, we descended from apes, cool, huh? Look, how our advanced DNA analysis backs this up, look how similar our body structures are, and how they use tools, just the way we do.' Christianity says: 'Love your neighbour as yourself' - Well, that only works if your neighbour isn't an ass. God's neighbour is Satan (oh yeah, everyone's our neighbour too) and I'm pretty sure they didn't meet up for muffins and coffee every 2nd Tuesday of the month.

Oh, and science kind of knows it doesn't know where that shit came from. I doesn't say 'uhh yeah, we do know.. but... we're not telling :hurrhurr: '

I LOL'D.

There are too many flaws in every religion to show that their God managed to creat every single bacteria, gas and all the science mumble jumble. When i say flaws i mean Adam and Eve with the talking snake, Jonah and the whale, Noah's ark ark that must of been the size of Africa, Dinosaurs were apparently created along with man, "God" loves us but chooses to terrorizes earth with diseases/disasters and retarted babies and the list goes on.

I believe that a God might exist, I don't really know. BUT I'm certain that he did not create a zombie son or throw a giant enchanted rock on earth.

Raybob come tell me that this is somehow wrong.

Edited by Slyde