Your Religion / Beliefs

Chris

I think everyone just needs to respect everyone's beliefs. If your an Atheist thats fine but again there is no need to try and convert and same for religious people.

^^ Amen. I'm a Catholic Christian by the way, but what really bothers me is when people of the secular and religious sides try to force their beliefs upon one another. I'm instructed to respect the rights and beliefs of other people, but it becomes a problem when propaganda of both sides of the table gets a bit too far. As for atheism, I do have a couple of atheist friends who go to the same Catholic High School that I go to now. But I don't talk to them about stuff like this (I even have a few friends who are Muslim, Jew, Buddhist, etc.). We just gotta have more tolerance for one another and less bigotry and disrespect. Otherwise, it'll pretty much be Hell on Earth.

And it isn't already? All these wars, crisis, famine, viruses, changing weather, and who knows what other threats....

Edited by TG187

Yes, I already mentioned somewhere in this topic that I am a Roman Catholic Christian.

Are you really outraged? It was only a joke. But anyway, how does it feel when others ridicule your belief, even though it was a joke, others may take it seriously.

That's one of the roots of religious misunderstandings. In this topic, the atheists always make fun on Christians and I just tried to do what Connor had done.

Connor's last post was the most awesome and sensible post I've ever saw on this topic. I'm sure I can learn a lot from this guy!

Why thank you. :rolleyes:

And because I said God doesn't do what you want, that means it's contradicting your beliefs?

1. Everything about me probably "contradicts your beliefs".

2. So everything in your life is perfect?

Can I just ask out of all the people who claim they are atheists, how many of you celebrate Christmas?

Just a topic that got me thinking after I watched something on TV.

I can't stand whats happening to Christmas now. Last year they interviewed children to ask them about what Christmas is about. Most had no idea "Santa" and "Presents" where the main answers. One stupid child said it was the day Jesus died. Its just so superficial now and has none of the original meaning. Its all about getting things.

Kids are stupid these days though, most of them don't know what an onion is.

I see Christmas as a way to bond with family and even though I'm not a Christian, I still have a respect for a man who stood up against a big, powerful religion to stick with his beliefs up until death, even if they are complete bullshit.

I do agree to some extent. The bonding with the family would be nice even though I get all arsey when I have to do it with mine.

Can I just ask out of all the people who claim they are atheists, how many of you celebrate Christmas?

I can't stand whats happening to Christmas now. Last year they interviewed children to ask them about what Christmas is about. Most had no idea "Santa" and "Presents" where the main answers. One stupid child said it was the day Jesus died. Its just so superficial now and has none of the original meaning. Its all about getting things.

Agree with you there, its just got too commercial and is a way of making money now. Now it's even becoming X-Mas

I see Christmas as a way to bond with family and even though I'm not a Christian, I still have a respect for a man who stood up against a big, powerful religion to stick with his beliefs up until death, even if they are complete bullshit.

Are you saying you dont bond with your family on other days? I know for most people Christmas is about spending time with family etc. but I am pretty sure you could bond with your family on other days?

Agree with you there, its just got too commercial and is a way of making money now. Now it's even becoming X-Mas

Are you saying you dont bond with your family on other days? I know for most people Christmas is about spending time with family etc. but I am pretty sure you could bond with your family on other days?

I think he only meant that Christmas is nice ocasion to bond with family, however that doesn't mean he doesn't do it on other days.

To be honest, I don't give a crap about Christmas, never really do anything special that day.

Edited by Ivan

@ Connor: Yeah, everything in life is great!

And on the Christmas thing, I'm also quite sad that the real meaning of Christmas is now slowly diminishing, too much materialism rules the today's society. Well, I'm still thankful that here in my country, people still know the real meaning of Christmas and still celebrates it solemnly unlike in the western countries. Western kids remember Santa instead of Jesus. :(

Although my country is very religious, have saw that info on a site, when Christmas is coming, for most of the people, they think firstly of: Presents, food ( lots and lots of it ), party, getting drunk, having fun ( Good that I am not like that ). There are still few that really know and really appreciate Christmas, as it is in reality ( being good, making good things, going to church, etc. ). Same with Easter.

Sadly...