Your Religion / Beliefs

Chris

Kids are stupid these days though, most of them don't know what an onion is.

I see Christmas as a way to bond with family and even though I'm not a Christian, I still have a respect for a man who stood up against a big, powerful religion to stick with his beliefs up until death, even if they are complete bullshit.

Are you saying you dont bond with your family on other days? I know for most people Christmas is about spending time with family etc. but I am pretty sure you could bond with your family on other days?

You know exactly what I meant lol.

well idn if i posted here im greek orthodox (christian) anyways...

i dont go to church all that often though only on the important events... :S last one was last saturday ascension of mary. before that was like ... idn easter :P

i believe about god etc but i dont try and force my beliefs on others nor do i question others beliefs etc

about christmas, yer thats totally true. nobody knows what its about. its a family bonding thing for us too , very big. all the family (cousins etc) gets together for lunch, swap presents etc etc its good.

Am I the only one who doesn't want to bond and spend time with my family? I love Christmas with my Mum and we have a great day. Last year was with my family and it was awful. Then again I am lower then a snakes belly in the eyes of my grandparents so no shock there why it wasn't fun.

Am I the only one who doesn't want to bond and spend time with my family? I love Christmas with my Mum and we have a great day. Last year was with my family and it was awful. Then again I am lower then a snakes belly in the eyes of my grandparents so no shock there why it wasn't fun.

To be honest, I kinda feel the same way, my family just doesn't get along that well.

Can I just ask out of all the people who claim they are atheists, how many of you celebrate Christmas?

Just a topic that got me thinking after I watched something on TV.

Can I just ask, how many Christians who celebrate Christmas persecute the Pagans? If you don't know the reference, you're lacking knowledge in your own religion.

Are you saying you dont bond with your family on other days? I know for most people Christmas is about spending time with family etc. but I am pretty sure you could bond with your family on other days?

Well, can you love and have faith in God without going to church? This doesn't mean that you shouldn't go to church to love and have faith in god.

Can I just ask, how many Christians who celebrate Christmas persecute the Pagans? If you don't know the reference, you're lacking knowledge in your own religion.

Dont really get that comment, Im not Christian by the way.

Well, can you love and have faith in God without going to church? This doesn't mean that you shouldn't go to church to love and have faith in god.

My comment was meant to say you bond with your family on other days there does not have to be a specific day where you do this like Christmas (although I do understand people see distant family during Christmas). Its like Valentines day you shouldn't just be extra nice to your partner because of this day. And stuff like Fathers and Mothers day, where you should be extra nice on these days, Im just saying this should happen on ALL days (or near enough to all days).

My comment was meant to say you bond with your family on other days there does not have to be a specific day where you do this like Christmas (although I do understand people see distant family during Christmas). Its like Valentines day you shouldn't just be extra nice to your partner because of this day. And stuff like Fathers and Mothers day, where you should be extra nice on these days, Im just saying this should happen on ALL days (or near enough to all days).

We don't celebrate Mothers or Fathers day. We just think its a pointless holiday and you should show love to your parents every day. I don't celebrate Fathers day because my Dad doesn't deserve it.

A lot of things about Christmas were stolen from the Pagan's holiday Yule. Christmas celebrates Christ's birthday, but he supposedly wasn't born in the Winter. The Christmas tree? YULE log? Stolen from the Pagans. Funny part is that the Pagans celebrate the rebirth of the God of Sun. The Christians? The Son of God.

Oh, we celebrate Valentine's Day, but just as an excuse to go out to eat and see movies and shit. I don't believe much in mother's day and father's day, either, as they are just commercial holidays used to make money((like Valentine's Day, Fourth of July, etc.)).

I heard most things at Christmas are stolen from the Pagans. I think it was the church trying to get rid of them, don't quote me on that its something I am trying to remember.

Jehovah Witness' believe Jesus was born in October.

Supposedly they adopted a lot of their celebrations and festivities to try and make converting them easier. "Saving" them, as Christians call it.

Atheists tend to piss me off. Not because they're not with any religion or anything though. What it is, is that they act like Christians constantly try to get people to convert or some shit, and then they do the exact same shit. I'm Serbian Orthodox and am Christian. Every time I say that some atheist has to go and ask me a million questions as to why I am what I am and has to annoy the hell out of me.

Same shit happens in this topic, every time someone mentions they're (HOLY FUCK) NOT ATHEIST (SHIT CONNOR GET IN HERE AND TEACH THEM THE TRUTH!!!!!).

Sure, those type of Christians are annoying, but from what I've seen, there are far more atheists who are worse.

@Greensabre13.

I didn't actually, no. :(

As an Atheist, I claim that God does not exist.

How could that stop me belonging to a religion such as Buddhism, when there is no mention of God in it?

But just because I'm an Atheist, doesn't mean I'm a Buddhist?

Can't a Theist belong to Christianity, Islam, etc?

@MishoM

Go find the posts where I've been saying things like this and post them, otherwise, don't say anything at all about me.

Please don't bring the ones back where I was asking what reasons they have for believing in God or ones where I state that Atheists don't kill people because they're Atheists, but Theists kill people because they either think God told them to, God expects them to or they really need to force other people into their religion?

To be honest it just seems like you're really pissed off about me discussing your beliefs, in a topic where we're meant to be discussing our beliefs.

Atheists tend to piss me off. Not because they're not with any religion or anything though. What it is, is that they act like Christians constantly try to get people to convert or some shit, and then they do the exact same shit.

You have a good point. A lot of atheists find it baffling that people believe this stuff, and there is a natural urge to save them from themselves. However, by doing that, they're doing the same preaching and converting that they hate about many religions. As far as I'm concerned, you're perfectly entitled to be wrong.

Let me point out I'm agnostic. I don't believe there's an old man in the sky or any of that stuff, but I'm not arrogant enough to think I know everything about the world; I reckon there probably is something 'out there', maybe even some natural force or being or sixth sense. There's probably something beyond the edge of the universe, or beyond time. Maybe we'll never know, but whilst I believe there's pretty much zero chance of any form of afterlife, that just means you have to make your mark in other ways.

I personally hate the fact that religions are passed down from parent to child. A hindu family usually has a hindu child etc. That child grows up convinced that their religion is the right one, that all others are wrong/false/evil, and why? Not because of any evidence, or personal experience. Just cos their parents brought them up that way.

Although one religion has to be right, and the others pretty much have to be wrong. Maybe they're all partially correct?

I have similar views Gerard, I don't believe anything about "supreme beings", but there could be something else with a decent scientific explaination to why we're here and what we've got to come.

There are things in the world that are proven to exist, but are incredibly weird and hard to explain, maybe our minds are stronger and more connected to the universe than we think.

Connor, throughout the topic you've constantly been bashing Christianity, honestly this type of stuff shouldn't be allowed. Personally I really don't care if you're atheist, but when you go about calling the God Christians believe in a "cunt" and someone who absolutely cannot exist, people begin to get angry.

You mentioned how someone tried to convert you to Christianity and you told them off, well what are you trying to accomplish here by making fun of Christians' beliefs and by constantly going on about how there is no way that their God exists? It seems to me like you're trying to convert those people to atheism yourself. Trying to get them to KNOW THE TRUTH, MAN!

And Gerard, your first paragraph is exactly what I mean.

This topic is meant to be a discussion on religion, not a place for you to make fun of others' beliefs. I'm really not pissed, my post was in general speaking about in real life, but I'm sure many people here are discouraged and don't want to come in here to discuss religion when there are guys like you in here calling their God a "cunt."

It's true that he's a cunt, just read the Bible.

Aren't I allowed my views on the Christian God?

You have yours.

I don't see where I was trying to convert anyone there.

You already showed your views on God dozens of times, on Christianity, we understood, but you keep bashing Him and insulting Him for "your fun" because you know you will piss people of by doing this. If we read the Bible, we would not get any references to God as being a "cunt", trust me. ;) It is only your interpretation, that will change in future.

For some people, people that don't interfere too much with the actual world full of hating, Religion is a way to love, to feel good, to feel protected. But, every religion on this Earth has their own fanatics, people that interpreted very wrong his Religion words and do atrocious things in the name of their interpretation not Religion. Very hard to explain a phenomena using a very small amount of English words.

I respect everyone's religion choice, but when they are starting to make fun deliberately of something that I truly believe, well, I cannot let it pass, as I do with other things.

Edited by TG187
  • Like 1

You already showed your views on God dozens of times, on Christianity, we understood, but you keep bashing Him and insulting Him for "your fun" because you know you will piss people of by doing this. It is only your interpretation, that will change in future.

For some people, people that don't interfere too much with the actual world full of hating, Religion is a way to love, to feel good, to feel protected. But, every religion on this Earth has their own fanatics, people that interpreted very wrong his Religion words and do atrocious things in the name of their interpretation not Religion. Very hard to explain a phenomena using a very small amount of English words.

I respect everyone's religion choice, but when they are starting to make fun deliberately of something that I truly believe, well, I cannot let it pass, as I do with other things.

Agreed on that. Just because our faith has so many aspects as well as various stuff that make what TG and I belive in doesn't actually mean that it's too complicated or confusing. We all know that you're not the only nonbeliever here. Don't take this as an insult, nor are we picking up on you, Connor, but I guess the reason why you lost faith is because of confusion and frustration. Confused because you can't figure out of He's really there for you, and frustrated because of issues and trials here on earth. I can troll people for fun if you want fun, but religion is a different ball game if you want to troll.

The only people worth ranting at are those fanatics who bomb buildings and cite Allah for what they're doing. Jihad isn't about that, it's about war against sin and corruption, not bloodbaths and demolition sprees.

Edited by Huckleberry Pie