Karma Hack

I know Chris posted about this back in 2004, but he didn't seem to end up getting around to it. Either way, thought I might suggest it. Karma hacks are widely used, and being Chris owns an IPB license he has two choices:

- IPB.Karma hack for v2.1 (should work with all other versions I would think.

- D-Karma - Made for IPB v1.3 but works with v2.x.x apparently - also doesn't need you to use your IPB account details to download.

Just an idea, if not we could always code our own, it wouldn't be to hard for Chris I wouldn't think ;).

Sorry - both those links are visible only to certain groups. First one is Elites and second is Staff.

I'll fill you in anyway - we've been discussing changing the warning system to a -10 to +10 scale, where members are warned down by staff for bad things and rated upwards for good things - so you can earn your warning level back up to the good zone again.

Another proposal was to modify the warning system to 0-10 (which has been done) and add a separate bar for rep (like karma) - where Elite members can vote other members good or bad.

The technicalities of these are still being worked out, and a final decision on which of these proposals to use has not yet been made.

That's the first proposal - where moderators will effectively decrease your warning level if you do some really good/helpful things. The good thing is that its not just for people who already have bad warnings, people who just do good things and end up positive would get rewards. People who just do bad will end up with punishments - just like what happens now. This was my preferred proposal.

The second proposal leaves the warning system alone, and adds a second reputation bar. Elite members can vote on any post you make, and that will add to or take from your reputation. The thing about the rep system is that it does not affect your warning level, and no rewards or punishments are available for high/low rep.

Well the use of 'karma' can be interpreted many ways. All in all, karma is just getting something for doing some good or bad. So either proposal would cover what I was talking about.

Gerard - Thanks, I must have missed them two topic, sorry.

And if you want to rate people just use those profile stars.

Yeah, I dunno, to be honest I hate that feature of IPB 2.0. One of the reasons I feel IPB 1.x series was better then the 2.x series. I am talking karma as in, only staff can decide on whether to add to it or take it way from you. Rating people isn't really something I think is of much interests to people of this forum, nor most forums.

Yeah I still have to write up the new proposal which is basically an amalgamation of the two which were discusses by the staff and elites. The warning and karma system will all be integrated though, it won't be seperate.

The first link you posted (IPSBeyond) is much more like I envisioned it really. And I've been a member there since it opened btw.

Jared summed up the rating feature of IPB2.2. Basically this is just your opinion of another member. It's got nothing to do with how the staff feel about your behaviour on the forums. I mean while many of IPB2.2's new features are incredibly useful to us, a number of them are a little gimmicky, rating is one of them. All it gives really is a general view on how much the member is liked.

I will write up the new proposal later on and post it in the elite forum so we can discuss what would be best for the forum. We'll then try to reach an agreement before posting an announcement to everyone.

UPDATE: Elite's and staff please now refer to this topic