Gabe Newell thinks PS3 is a total disaster

Stojko

Gabe Newell Thinks PS3 "A Total Disaster"

(also known as random story I found while I was bored to death)

Oh my.. According to a post on NeoGAF, Valve Software co-founder Gabe Newell has some mighty strong opinions about the PS3 in the most recent issue if GameInformer: “The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think It’s really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted. I’d say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a “do over”. Just say, “This was a horrible disaster and we’re sorry and we’re going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it”.“

Yup, that’s way out there. I haven’t seen the magazine so please treat this as a rumor until a scan or a photo of it turns up. But if this is true..I honestly can’t even imagine how Sony would respond.

Update: Several major gaming sites are now reporting this as well, so looks like this is a real quote from the guy. Let’s see if and how Sony will choose to respond.

Source

Edited by Google Guru

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that is just his opinion because he probably is a X box fan but I dont think ps3 is a disaster at all totally the opposite, I cant wait to get it.

Oh, just because someone calls the PS3 a disaster, they are AUTOMATICALLY a Xbox fan? And dude, do you know what it takes to develop for that monstrosity called the "PS3"? I heard it's hell.

Have you played it yet? Have you seen the games in person? I was playing MotorStorm with my girlfriend at Walmart, and it wasn't anything to make you cream you pants or anything. It was fun, and amusing, but aren't most games that you get to wreck cars in? PS3 is just another console. It isn't God. For there can't be two Gods, and the Wii already claimed that position.

Well that is just his opinion because he probably is a X box fan but I dont think ps3 is a disaster at all totally the opposite, I cant wait to get it.

Oh, just because someone calls the PS3 a disaster, they are AUTOMATICALLY a Xbox fan? And dude, do you know what it takes to develop for that monstrosity called the "PS3"? I heard it's hell.

Have you played it yet? Have you seen the games in person? I was playing MotorStorm with my girlfriend at Walmart, and it wasn't anything to make you cream you pants or anything. It was fun, and amusing, but aren't most games that you get to wreck cars in? PS3 is just another console. It isn't God. For there can't be two Gods, and the Wii already claimed that position.

Maybe a phrased it wrong but it would probably be easier for him to create crappy games on a 9GB limit rathre than a 45GB limit.

Maybe a phrased it wrong but it would probably be easier for him to create crappy games on a 9GB limit rathre than a 45GB limit.

Actually DVD9s (dual-layer DVDs) that are compatible with the 360 and Wii can hold up to 17GB, so shut your mouth and learn how to do research.

Besides do you know any game in the next couple of years that will actually NEED that much space? 45GB? Even with high-LOD models, huge worlds and 2048x2048 textures as a minimum, 45GB isn't going to be needed in a long while. And even if games were released with that much content, their price would be so incredibly high that nobody would buy them.

I'm not saying I like the Wii (And I don't, it's cool for local parties and shit, but when I go on a 12-hour gaming binge, I don't want to stand up and wave a remote around, I'd much rather sit down with a controller or mouse/keyboard)

But the PS3 is shit, 7 processors, unnecessary expensive media drives, non-vibrating controller. I wouldn't diss the PS3 if it had some actual, worthwhile, good-for-the-money features but it doesn't and so I will diss it.

I bought a 360 purely for GTA4 and Halo 3, and possibly future games in those series, and that's it. I'm not a big console guy and besides those two games, plus GoW and some other titles, I really can't be assed to pay $60 for a game which I can't mod or play while on Ventrilo.

I think I might just get the XBOX 360. I'm more of a fan of the Playstation, but it's not out here yet and when it does come out, it'll be expensive and everyone will want one.

Plus by the time I get a hold of the PS3, GTA4 will be out. I also wouldn't mind Dead Rising and Forza 2.

I also don't know why people argue about game consoles. I own 2 PS2s, a PSP and a XBOX. (Used to have a PS1)

I think they're all pretty good.

Edited by MVC

Actually DVD9s (dual-layer DVDs) that are compatible with the 360 and Wii can hold up to 17GB, so shut your mouth and learn how to do research.

Besides do you know any game in the next couple of years that will actually NEED that much space? 45GB? Even with high-LOD models, huge worlds and 2048x2048 textures as a minimum, 45GB isn't going to be needed in a long while. And even if games were released with that much content, their price would be so incredibly high that nobody would buy them.

I'm not saying I like the Wii (And I don't, it's cool for local parties and shit, but when I go on a 12-hour gaming binge, I don't want to stand up and wave a remote around, I'd much rather sit down with a controller or mouse/keyboard)

But the PS3 is shit, 7 processors, unnecessary expensive media drives, non-vibrating controller. I wouldn't diss the PS3 if it had some actual, worthwhile, good-for-the-money features but it doesn't and so I will diss it.

I bought a 360 purely for GTA4 and Halo 3, and possibly future games in those series, and that's it. I'm not a big console guy and besides those two games, plus GoW and some other titles, I really can't be assed to pay $60 for a game which I can't mod or play while on Ventrilo.

No it isn't shit. Get your facts right before pre-judging a console. In the UK, in christmas 07, it'll be the biggest and best next-gen console.

Edited by the bossman

We'l see about that... I highly doubt it. It lacks something the 360 does have.

It is funny you say this becase I read the Daily Telegraph about 2 weeks after Christmas and they said most people were waiting for the PS3 to launch in the UK rather than getting any other goods. They said it was the most sough after electronical product though they did say that the Wii sold quite a lot in England they said the 360 figures have declined.

Anyway can someone tell me how the hell the 360 is better than the PS3. To me I think that the PS2 is the same as the 360. 360 doesn't ahve a 'X' or 'WOW' factor like the Wii has with its controller and the PS3 with its 45GB memory on the blu ray disc and also the SIXAXIS controller.

Nothing special about it sixaxis controller. It's hard to play with it and I prefer rumble above that.

And it's like the Veyron and the DB9. Sure Veyron is much more powerfull and stuff, but it's just not worth it and the DB9 is great to and more resonably priced. If they where bought the same price I still don't know since I like the DB9 still and would probably buy them bough cause you can buy 2 360's for the price of 1 ps3.

Get my point :)

Nothing special about it sixaxis controller. It's hard to play with it and I prefer rumble above that.

And it's like the Veyron and the DB9. Sure Veyron is much more powerfull and stuff, but it's just not worth it and the DB9 is great to and more resonably priced. If they where bought the same price I still don't know since I like the DB9 still and would probably buy them bough cause you can buy 2 360's for the price of 1 ps3.

not really if you can afford it everyone would go for the PS3 but if you are not quite so rich you would go for the 360 or the Wii. You still haven't said what is good aobut the 360.

PS3 Player, let me compliment you on your wonderful new avatar and sig you are wearing. Keep wearing the flag, buddy! I'm saying this because you're not gonna be happy with what I'm gonna say next. Sorry.

Some of the games on the PS3 look maybe 3% better than XB360 versions of the same game. Xbox Live rules the online world for its accessibility, friends, and achievements. The 360 has more wow-factor games that are out or will be out in the next few months than the PS3. Halo 3, Gears of War, and Project Gotham Racing 3, just to name a few. And let's not mention that the 360 launch was much better than the PS3 launch, taking into account the quality of the launch titles and the robberies.

Like I said, sorry.

Dude, it's all about opinion. I love the PS3, best system ever. I think the Wii is horrible. I think the Motorstorm game is fun, don't see why you don't think so. It's a racing game, what's bad about it?

not really if you can afford it everyone would go for the PS3 but if you are not quite so rich you would go for the 360 or the Wii. You still haven't said what is good aobut the 360.

My dad could easely buy a DB9. But it's just not sensible. And dude, I prefer a Wii to the PS3. Even if they where for the same price.

I could get used to it over time, but I would have prefered it to be the 'bananarang' design rather than the dualshock 2 design. Even though I really like the dualshock 2 controller, I would have prefered a new controller for the next generation. It shows a lack of balls on Sonys behalf.

No it isn't shit. Get your facts right before pre-judging a console. In the UK, in christmas 07, it'll be the biggest and best next-gen console.

What? It's already been released meaning I'm not prejudging it. You're prejudging for assuming that you know it'll be the biggest in the UK in '07.

I mean, PS3 is clearly outselling the 360 and Wii, and I'm sure that those of you living in England are willing to pay the equivalent of $833 USD (Around 425 pounds) for the PS3 when it's virtually Xbox 360 with a better processor, less memory, a non-vibrating controller, and a useless Blu-ray drive...give or take a shitty exclusive game or two.

And it's funny how I can go to GameStop, ebGames, and other retailers and find PS3s readily available for internet order or in-store pickup when the Xbox 360's weren't sitting in stores for random, non-preordering people to walk in and buy until the late spring/early summer of '06.

ps3notsellingen6.jpg

I'm a PC gamer and the ONLY reason I have a 360 is for GTA4's half-year exclusivity to the consoles. And Halo 3. But facts are facts. The PS3 fails. True story.

And if you're gonna say "BUT YOU STILL DIDN'T SAY WHAT THE 360'S WOW FACTOR IS!!!!!!!1111111111111"

1. A bigger quantity of better games.

2. Xbox Live

3. An OPTIONAL HD-DVD drive so that you don't have to pawn a small country to pay for the system.

4. Vibrating controller

5. Actually INCLUDES high-def cables. Hilarious how Sony loves to tout the PS3's HD capabilities yet they don't even include an HDMI, or even component cable with either version.

wait a year or 2 and see what stage the ps3 is at, it can only get better. I was getting my point across, because you seemed to say it isn't worth the money and is 'just an xbox 360 with some extras tagged on', when it very clearly isn't. The games will come, don't you worry about that.

Its not a disaster, despite what anyone says, including him. I personally can't wait for some of the superb games coming out for it over the next year or so. I don't think it will disappoint.

I was going to comment this, but after reading the rest of your posts, you're clearly a fanboy, or misinformed. Both are about the same, really.

Hey dude, you just pulled a figure out of your ass. Blu-ray disks are 25GB. According to SONY'S OFFICIAL SITE, BTW. And like already said, no game needs anywhere NEAR that.

Hey genius, in America, we have the PS3((and don't forget about Japan)). We've played it. We know what it's like. You want to know what it's like? The Xbox 360. I played them both. Besides a controller difference, they play pretty well THE SAME. You, on the other hand, have probably never played a 360, so I'd be willing to bet you're entirely pulling your assumptions and comparisons.... Out of your ass....

We'l see about that... I highly doubt it. It lacks something the 360 does have.

It is funny you say this becase I read the Daily Telegraph about 2 weeks after Christmas and they said most people were waiting for the PS3 to launch in the UK rather than getting any other goods. They said it was the most sough after electronical product though they did say that the Wii sold quite a lot in England they said the 360 figures have declined.

Anyway can someone tell me how the hell the 360 is better than the PS3. To me I think that the PS2 is the same as the 360. 360 doesn't ahve a 'X' or 'WOW' factor like the Wii has with its controller and the PS3 with its 45GB memory on the blu ray disc and also the SIXAXIS controller.

PS2 same as 360? Not quite, buddy.... Not quite.....

No wow factor to the 360? There is no wow to the PS3, either! And I've played the console. Again. I've played the console. I'm not pre-judging. BOTH OF THESE SYSTEMS are simply upgraded versions of the consoles before them. Nothing. More. No "WOW" factor.

And AGAIN you pull out with that FALSE NUMBER. It isn't 45GB.... And you actually ate up that six-axis controller shit? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Do you know what six-axis is? Kirby Tilt N Tumble for the GBA....... That's like TEN YEAR OLD technology that Sony are boasting about in their "Super console". Huh. That's a little funny to me.

If I can afford the Wii, I can wait a few weeks and afford the PS3. Thing is, I don't want to. Why? Because the Wii is way more worth the money.

Well I think the PS3 is way better than the 360 but still no one has answered my question and I don't think they will, WHAT IS THE 'WOW' FACTOR OF THE 360

THE SAME THING THAT "WOWS" THE PS3................ NOTHING!!!

My dad could easely buy a DB9. But it's just not sensible. And dude, I prefer a Wii to the PS3. Even if they where for the same price.

Ditto. Way cooler console.

wait a year or 2 and see what stage the ps3 is at, it can only get better. I was getting my point across, because you seemed to say it isn't worth the money and is 'just an xbox 360 with some extras tagged on', when it very clearly isn't. The games will come, don't you worry about that.

Again, dude, you've never played the PS3 and I doubt you've played a 360. I've played both. They were both fun. Fun as in, they seemed like everyday gaming. They are just new consoles. They aren't anything special. They don't add anything unique to the gaming world, and this in undeniable. They offer gameplay, on consoles, plugged into a tv, with a controller((controllers VERY similar to the ones of last-gen, at that. Go figure)). Why is the Wii different? Because it is physically interactive. It lets me actually aim my gun. It allows me to swing my sword at my enemies. I can even chop and prepare food, work on people's teeth, become a surgeon, go fishing, play the original Mario games((not to mention every other old skool Ninty game out there)), and have massive group orgies with our WiiMotes >.>

<.<

>.>

No one saw that last one............. o.o