Windows Vista

mitchell

OS X is the worst of todays OSes.

Why? It just doesn't have a lot compatible with it.

Windows runs everything and Linux is secure. OS X is just bad.

I don't know how you can say that OSX is "just bad". Every operating system has its bad points...

There are a lot of new features in Windows Vista which were in OSX first, so Vista is playing catch up in a sense. I wouldn't call it a bad OS, in fact its a pretty good one. Of course it depends on what you want to use it for. There is a huge amount of first party software on Macs. The thing is Windows does run everything - but at a price. To get really good software on a Windows PC you're gonna have to shaft out your money to buy it. Thats not to say that mac software is free - its just that there is quite a lot of very good first party software available on a mac straight from the box.

And Macs do have quite a few "blockbuster" games available on them. I know not nearly as many as PCs but a lot of the high-profile titles. I myself prefer console gaming - in fact I don't really have any PC games, so maybe I'm not perfectly placed to debate this but titles like Halo, several EA titles like Battlefield, Sims 1 and 2 and an entire range of expansion packs, PGA tour... and games like C&C, COD, Warcraft, Max Payne (a Rockstar game) in there somewhere as well. A lot of games are ported by a company call Aspyr, but the games are still available - and I suppose thats all that really matters.

the point of vista was to add the little stuff that people wanted, and also get rid of macs annoying commercials, and admit, they were retarded, hypocritical, ultra retrospectural and biased way too much. Vista did add some cool things that OSX didnt have and it also let people have whatever selection and variety of computer they wanted, whatever to fit there needs and likes.

What alot of mac people are saying is that "alot of the new stuff vista has, OSX already had!" .... so? so pretty much what your saying is... vista is a wayyyy better version of OSX, can operate and work with anything, is easier to use, and easier to handle? okay, i take that as a compliment than (me being a windows/linux guy.) OSX isnt JUST bad, its good for 7 year olds, and really old people. that makes it good... right??? haha and just bringing up the mac first party games makes me smile. i cant explain to people who havent played them how much they completely suck. period. And hey, doesnt everything have a price? if your saying that about windows, are you saying that mac programs (the limited useful ones) is free? hmm thats smart.... mac pro is pretty much a readymade (to somone elses likings i guess....) slightly custom Dell (hell) PC using mac OS. and how much is it??? 3,000 f***ing dollars.... My computer was 1,000 and has the best specs you could think of (of last year cuz thats when i got it) and its still better than macpro. and what software dont you have to buy?? i dont know shareware? yeah thats good. i love shareware, really doesnt help what your trying to do, but it does help to fill up your hard drive with useless stuff! perfect :thumbsdown: ! heh "blockbuster"!!! yeah i loved marble blast 2 million, it was fun for 5 minutes. id rather play a 16 bit game on my cell phone.

EDIT: what i sed isnt bashing or flaming, so dont be discouraged or whatever.

Edited by tilly

the point of vista was to add the little stuff that people wanted, and also get rid of macs annoying commercials...

Well Vista didn't get rid of the annoying commercials. There are two new ones about Windows Vista. Obviously its only advertising and while still true, Apple put their own spin on it to make themselves look better. Seriously - what do you expect them to do? That's the whole point of advertising.

Vista ...... also let people have whatever selection and variety of computer they wanted, whatever to fit there needs and likes.

Yeh I suppose most people upgrading to Vista will have that choice because they're going to need an new computer to run it.

mac pro is pretty much a readymade (to somone elses likings i guess....) slightly custom Dell (hell) PC using mac OS. and how much is it??? 3,000 f***ing dollars.... My computer was 1,000 and has the best specs you could think of (of last year cuz thats when i got it) and its still better than macpro.

Mac Pro has 4 million possible configurations.

What alot of mac people are saying is that "alot of the new stuff vista has, OSX already had!" .... so? so pretty much what your saying is... vista is a wayyyy better version of OSX, can operate and work with anything, is easier to use, and easier to handle?

I don't know how you can deduce that from what I said. OSX has several features now available on Vista. It's search function, 3D graphical interface, widgets, smart folder functionality and even a 3D chess game have been more or less copied.

okay, i take that as a compliment than (me being a windows/linux guy.) OSX isnt JUST bad, its good for 7 year olds, and really old people. that makes it good... right??? haha...

"Market research indicates that Apple draws its customer base from an unusually artistic, creative, and well-educated population, which may explain the platform's visibility within certain youthful, avant-garde subcultures." - Link

and just bringing up the mac first party games makes me smile. i cant explain to people who havent played them how much they completely suck. period. And hey, doesnt everything have a price? if your saying that about windows, are you saying that mac programs (the limited useful ones) is free? ....... and what software dont you have to buy??

I never mentioned Mac first party games - I don't even know any. I said first party software. There is quite an array of very good first party Mac software available pre-installed on a Mac.

• iLife '06 Suite (including iDVD, iPhoto, iMovie HD, iWeb and Garage Band)

• iTunes + Quicktime

• iChat (using built-in iSight Camera)

• iCal (Vista now has something strikingly similar)

• Dashboard Widgets

• Safari (better that MSIE)

• Front Row

• About 200 built in features in total

Walt Mossberg of the Wall Street Journal. "Out of the box," says Mossberg, "the Mac has better photo, music, video, and DVD-creation software than any Windows computer I've seen."

Of course with Windows you'll probably need to go and find and buy software separately if you want apps. as good. What has Windows got? Windows Media Player, Movie Maker, MSIE, Live Messenger (which meeds to be downloaded first) and of course a whole load of new features which OSX already had.

Of course there are things sold separately for Macs. There's plenty of great professional first party software, Microsoft Office is available, and a lot of major/popular third party software is available.

And if that isn't good enough you can run Windows, incase there's one little thing you want to run or you want to play a game.

...why does it take 2 months+ to port a new Sims 2 expansion to the Mac.

Probably the same reason it takes Rockstar 2 months+ to port Vice City Stories to PS2.

-----------------------

But I'd say a lot of it might come down to PCs being used for productivity and work - whereas Macs would be using for creative uses given the array of creative software available for multimedia and the even bigger array of pro-software on Macs for movie editing, photography, blah... blah...

So just say for photographers, graphic/web designers, people involved in multimedia - a Mac would be their choice of computer.

P.S. Sorry for such a long post! :innocent:

Edited by bryan

the point of vista was to add the little stuff that people wanted, and also get rid of macs annoying commercials...

Well Vista didn't get rid of the annoying commercials. There are two new ones about Windows Vista. Obviously its only advertising and while still true, Apple put their own spin on it to make themselves look better. Seriously - what do you expect them to do? That's the whole point of advertising.

I dont see how the point of advertising is diminishing and dissing your rival.......... see how windows and the vista team didnt say anything bad about mac? thats because they arent bitches.

Vista ...... also let people have whatever selection and variety of computer they wanted, whatever to fit there needs and likes.

Yeh I suppose most people upgrading to Vista will have that choice because they're going to need an new computer to run it.

Ahhh man, you believed the mac commercial didnt you.... *tsk tsk tsk*

and look whos talking about needing a new computer. lol I dont even need to explain the irony.

mac pro is pretty much a readymade (to somone elses likings i guess....) slightly custom Dell (hell) PC using mac OS. and how much is it??? 3,000 f***ing dollars.... My computer was 1,000 and has the best specs you could think of (of last year cuz thats when i got it) and its still better than macpro.

Mac Pro has 4 million possible configurations.

its not custom, it has choices, like vista, but its a computer, not an operating system....

What alot of mac people are saying is that "alot of the new stuff vista has, OSX already had!" .... so? so pretty much what your saying is... vista is a wayyyy better version of OSX, can operate and work with anything, is easier to use, and easier to handle?

I don't know how you can deduce that from what I said. OSX has several features now available on Vista. It's search function, 3D graphical interface, widgets, smart folder functionality and even a 3D chess game have been more or less copied.

chyeah.... dont know how you got to that, but okay. I was talking to the people that say that quote, and you.... did say it, so thats how i "deduced" it from what you said.

okay, i take that as a compliment than (me being a windows/linux guy.) OSX isnt JUST bad, its good for 7 year olds, and really old people. that makes it good... right???

"Market research indicates that Apple draws its customer base from an unusually artistic, creative, and well-educated population, which may explain the platform's visibility within certain youthful, avant-garde subcultures." - Link

Hey, your pretty good at finding opinionated and biased surveys that really dont make much sense for either party. if you sed that about PC i would still be in denial of the truth. I know you might be a lil overwhelmed by this, you being factually slow, but here it goes, i got a fact survey right here. 94 percent of computer owners (this is an online/cutout/many other ways but i dont remember them all survey, its not just like 100 ppl in a room, its like a census) are PC owners and about 1.6 percent are mac owners. we have alot of uneducated people now dont we!!! (oh and btw, schools are alot of that survey, and many many schools use mac, sorta messing with the scores, in macs favor. so dont be a bitch, that survey was most likely FOR mac, but you still cant distribute lies.)

I am legally double posting because my limit went over for my post.

and just bringing up the mac first party games makes me smile. i cant explain to people who havent played them how much they completely suck. period. And hey, doesnt everything have a price? if your saying that about windows, are you saying that mac programs (the limited useful ones) is free? ....... and what software dont you have to buy??

I never mentioned Mac first party games - I don't even know any. I said first party software. There is quite an array of very good first party Mac software available pre-installed on a Mac.

• iLife '06 Suite (including iDVD, iPhoto, iMovie HD, iWeb and Garage Band)

• iTunes + Quicktime

• iChat (using built-in iSight Camera)

• iCal (Vista now has something strikingly similar)

• Dashboard Widgets

• Safari (better that MSIE)

• Front Row

• About 200 built in features in total

okay you pwned me on that one..... hehe sorry, i thot you were talking about the games. and yeah the programs are okay i guess.... there more just 1st level software for beginner creaters. great for starters (old people, 7 year olds[and younger]) lol just kidding.

Walt Mossberg of the Wall Street Journal. "Out of the box," says Mossberg, "the Mac has better photo, music, video, and DVD-creation software than any Windows computer I've seen."

i like his sarcastic comedy too, hes funny.

legally triple damn posting because my limit went over AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! god guys.....

Of course with Windows you'll probably need to go and find and buy software separately if you want apps. as good. What has Windows got? Windows Media Player, Movie Maker, MSIE, Live Messenger (which meeds to be downloaded first) and of course a whole load of new features which OSX already had.

whats wrong with that, and as good as what? windows movie maker is a lil more complicated, but alot better. goes to a fuller extent if you know what i mean. id rather buy my apps, dont cost that much (sept for photoshop :P) its just more me, and less... them. i wanna get what i want, not what they want, and defnately not what They Make. that usually doesnt turn out so great.

Of course there are things sold separately for Macs. There's plenty of great professional first party software, Microsoft Office is available, and a lot of major/popular third party software is available.

funny how MOW is already on mac, so please mac people, dont talk about leechers. oh and first party software for computer makers... isnt professional, thats sorta the point. yeah the 1st party stuff is okay, its not like they suck, just there not great. 3rd party software, yeah some ARE professional, but some things just dont work so well on mac.

And if that isn't good enough you can run Windows, incase there's one little thing you want to run or you want to play a game.

why not just get PC?? i definately would rather.

...why does it take 2 months+ to port a new Sims 2 expansion to the Mac.

Probably the same reason it takes Rockstar 2 months+ to port Vice City Stories to PS2.

not really. its not like they have a totally different engine, memory storage, ram unit, and processor. oh wait. i mean, they have the same, just take it down a notch. its sorta like degrading a ps3 game to work on ps2.

-----------------------

But I'd say a lot of it might come down to PCs being used for productivity and work - whereas Macs would be using for creative uses given the array of creative software available for multimedia and the even bigger array of pro-software on Macs for movie editing, photography, blah... blah...

So just say for photographers, graphic/web designers, people involved in multimedia - a Mac would be their choice of computer.

well on their first year of work i would bet. after a lil while, i worked FINE with the winows creative programs and i really felt that it was easier, more fun, and had more things to do than mac. but i guess if you wanna do minor work quick and very easy... but limited, you would get mac.

P.S. Sorry for such a long post! :innocent:

dont know why you sed sorry for a long post. long posts are good :thumbsup:

sorry admins and mods, but i dont have a choice. :mellow:

I dont see how the point of advertising is

diminishing and dissing your rival.......... see how windows and the

vista team didnt say anything bad about mac? thats because they arent

bitches

Windows doesn't need to do that because they have a monopoly. Why to you think the EU is fining them so much. Because they have an over priviledged position. Maybe if that wasn't the case more people would have a different OS.

Ahhh man, you believed the mac commercial didnt you.... *tsk tsk tsk*

and look whos talking about needing a new computer. lol I dont even need to explain the irony.

No... I don't think its a case of believing the ad, its only an ad. It's been widely voiced. Even in this topic its been said. You're probably gonna need a new computer to run Vista - simple as that.

its not custom, it has choices, like vista, but its a computer, not an operating system....

That sentance is confusing me a little ...but I was talking about Mac Pro. Its a computer - Apple's highest spec one, which you can configure yourself... you know, like a Dell. Choose the HDD space, processor speed, add-ons etc. 4 Million possible configurations. Probably would cost a fortune though to get everything in it.

Hey, your pretty good at finding opinionated and biased surveys that really dont make much sense for either party.

Its Market Research which is done for Apple so they can target the specific groups to try sell their porducts. Every company more or less has to do it. Obviously they will want to know the kind of people who already have their products. Its not a biased and opinionated survey.

windows movie maker is a lil more complicated, but alot better.

Windows Movie Maker isn't very good. The interface isn't ideal, and has a lot of limits. iMovie HD is a good program with plenty of pre made themes and effects and it has a video podcasting feature and easy-of-use for burning to DVDs. Again I'll quote the WSJ about iLife (which comes pre-installed on Macs). I know its a review and its an opinion, but these people are respected experts.

“Apple Computer last week rolled out a major revamp of one of the Mac’s best software features — the iLife suite of multimedia programs. This collection of six integrated programs for handling photos, music, videos, Web sites and DVDs, is better than any similar product on Windows, and is a major benefit of buying a Mac.”

— Walter S. Mossberg and Katherine Boehret, The Wall Street Journal

oh and first party software for computer makers... isnt professional, thats sorta the point.

First party software is when the company themselves make the software. Apple do make pro software, but you have to buy it. Just like Sony make games... Apple makes plenty of pro software.

• Quicktime Pro

• Aperture (for photographers)

• Logic Pro (audio creation)

• Shake (advanced digital compositing)

• Final-Cut Studio (video/audio production)

• Apple Works

why not just get PC?? i definately would rather.

Why not get a Mac? You can still run Windows if you need to, get lots of good software pre-installed, buy more if you want. You can get an iMac, with no tower taking up space. Its all built in to a lovely big flat-screen, with no wires trailing all over the place and not effort setting it up except to plug in the keyboad and mouse. No reading a map to figure out which wire goes where and then end up with a spaghetti junction type thing behind it all.

Ok lets try again...

Probably the same reason it takes Rockstar 2 months+ to port San Andreas to Xbox, PC... same for other games. Its a different system, but if you use the Boot Camp or Paralells, you don't need to wait for a Mac release... so how is it downgraded if the game can still be run. I don't think the OS is a major factor in the performance of the game.