Wikipedia

Doc Nukem

Wikipedia is a multilingual, Web-based, free content encyclopedia project. Wikipedia is written collaboratively by volunteers; with rare exceptions, its articles can be edited by anyone with access to the Web site. The name is a portmanteau of the words wiki (a type of collaborative website) and encyclopedia. Its primary servers are in Tampa, Florida, with additional servers in Amsterdam and Seoul.

Wikipedia was launched as an English language project on January 15, 2001, as a complement to Nupedia, an expert-written and now defunct encyclopedia. The project is now operated by the Wikimedia Foundation, a non-profit organization created by Larry Sanger and Jimmy Wales, and has over six million articles in 250 languages, including 1.6 million in the English-language edition. Wikipedia has steadily risen in popularity since its inception and currently ranks among the twelve most-visited websites worldwide.

Wikipedia's reliability and accuracy have been questioned. The site has also been criticized for its susceptibility to vandalism, uneven quality, systemic bias and inconsistencies, and for favouring consensus over credentials in its editorial process. Wikipedia's content policies and sub-projects set up by contributors seek to address these concerns. Scholarly studies have concluded that vandalism is generally short-lived, and that Wikipedia is roughly as accurate as other online encyclopedias.

The main question is:

IS IT USEFUL?

I think Wikipedia is higly usefull, especially for just basic things for projects I have to make (age 13) it's a great source for info. But my school has been baned of wikipedia cause it says there was vandalism via our IP. Untill now I'v rearly seen something that I could question for in-accurate information.

They got info of about everything you want. From wide info about anime's to all stars that are registerd with a specific name.

Edit: What does this actually have to do with gaming :\

Edited by Jace

I'll move this to PC chat...

Yeah, although that vandalism on wikipedia isn't something positive and certanly doesn't make wikipedia hold more info, I still find wikipedia useful in most occasions. Yeah, it's sad that some sections don't hold a single letter, while the others are constantly being re-updated (read: vandalised), but it still holds a great amount of knowledge, which is awesome when it comes either to writing essays for school, or just browsing for fun.

Wikipedia is of great use to nearly anybody. Yes the vandalism is a problem, but remember the MediaWiki system works on the ability to see topic before there are edited in time frames. So anything can be easily reverted back. Not to mention the locking of a lot of important topic.