Seven Nights in the Siegfried Line

Silberio

*Seven Nights in the Siegfried Line*

By Silberio Williams

In April 15 of 1943, a raid of B-17’s was sent to Köln to bomb a factory.

One of the bomber’s, was the “Dwarf O’Riley”, flown by Captain Clyde O’Riley

After about 1 hour of flying over the British channel, they finally entered Nazi territory, and suddenly, after just 5 minutes of flying over enemy territory, a swarm of Messerschmitt BF-109’s appeared from no where, and attacked the bombers.

After 25 minutes of intense fight, about 10 B-17’s were shot down, when everyone thought the enemies left…They were wrong, some remaining BF-109’s shot down the “Dwarf O’Riley”, Clyde told the crew to leave, they jumped, but Cpt. O’riley couldn’t find his parachute, so he told the crew to just leave him, Cpt. O’Riley decided to make a crash landing, and crashed about 2 miles from Düsseldorf, he was alone in the forest…

He kept walking north, and found a little cabin, he stayed there for some time, he knew that the Germans saw the plane crashing, but he knew that they didn’t see any explosion, he also knew…that the Germans would be looking for that plane.

He got some things from the cabin, such as water, some food, and other useful things.

After that, he kept walking, hoping to not encounter a German patrol, and came to a small German village where he encountered some people.

Fortunately, those people had nothing to do with politics, so they gave him help, and let him stay…

But when he was about to go to bed, in middle of the night, About 3 German patrol’s came, they searched all the village for the ones that crash-landed, so they told Cpt. O’Riley to hide in the basement, as he was hiding, he heard the German soldiers taking down the door, and heard those heavy footsteps, he heard the German’s screaming for “Der Amerikanen”.

After about 15 minutes of fear, he heard the German soldiers leaving, so he got out of the basement, and asked where he would sleep, he got his bed in the basement to avoid the German soldiers to find him.

The day after, he left them, and went to the next city, Leverkusen, but before entering, he noticed the whole city was full with Gestapo officers, so carefully, he sneaked into the Köln cathedral, expecting he would be safe there.

The priest there tried to “communicate” with Cpt. O’Riley, which was pretty hard as the Captain did not speak German, nor the Priest did talk English.

But the priest could hide him in a safe place, and the captain stayed there, still fearing, but he knew that he’d be safe in “The House Of God”.

After a few hours, he noticed the priest disappeared, and heard some strange noises.

As he was on the second floor, he looked down the balcony, and noticed some Gestapo officers, along with a few soldiers was inside, searching everywhere – That’s where the captain knew, that the Priest talked…

He hurried to the back door, but it was locked, and didn’t know what to do – so he hurried up, to one of the clock towers, and luckily he found a rope, which he tied around his waist, and the other end on the balcony.

He took a deep breathe, and climbed down the tower, hoping that no one would see him, but a soldier spotted him from the ground, and tried to shoot him, so the Captain tried to climb down as fast as possible, The soldier ran inside the church, and told the soldiers inside that the Captain was on the roof of the building, and they may get better view from there.

When they got to the tower, the captain was already gone, and was running across the street.

He found an abandoned building, which got bombed before, and hide there, as the German’s searched all around the city.

He tried to sleep, but he was too worried about being found, and it was a very cold night…

I started to write this for some weeks ago, and have taken me long to write so little becuase...Well, I dont really have much imagination, but once I get something, I start writing :P

I'd consider this as the first chapter :)