help please

spencer

something happened and i dont know what it is, but i need help....i cant reinstall the game! well first the game was working fine. i donloaded the SAMI ..and started adding mods...i added about 9 before i even tryed to play it....but when i did try to play it it would only load half way and retern me to windows...so i deleted everything that had something to do with sanandreas on my pc....now every time i try to reinstall the game it gets a litle more than halfway through and says exactly this:

Feature: Grand Theft Auto: Sanandreas Game data

Comonent: Models

File: D:\data3.cab

Error: Data error (Cyclic redundancy check).

please help me on this

something happened and i dont know what it is, but i need help....i cant reinstall the game!

Feature: Grand Theft Auto: Sanandreas Game data

Comonent: Models

File: D:\data3.cab

Error: Data error (Cyclic redundancy check).

please help me on this

Well first thing to say spencer is that you need to be a lil bit more clear in your decription of deleted everything that had to do with GTA..

1:Did you use add and remove programs or did you manually remove the associated files using the "delete"

2:If you did manually remove it (GTA SA) did you get the registry keys out?(Shouldnt make much of a diff)

3:How were you playing GTA? ie: on a virtual drive or from an actual disk

4:How did you install GTA ie: dl'ed software package= winrar files, image,retail purchase (relates to# 3)

What i will tell you first is that i am no expert.....but it sounds to me that you may be missing some of the installation files needed to reinstall the game..in your deletion process it sounds like you may have deleted some of the files from your pc that you need in order to reinstall, now bear in mind that this is all based on the fact of you possibly having a dl'ed copy of GTA because obviously you would not be able to delete necessary files from a store copy :D ...I am pretty sure that the cyclic redundancy check merely means for lack of a better description on my behalf and to put it simply, is kinda like a mathematical way for files to be recognized almost like an elctronic id or a fingerprint kinda and it is used to determine size and make up of said files if i am not mistaken. That is a kinda simple description of it,so NO, you dont have to worry it does not mean your pc will blow up or somethin despite the really scary wording of the error message..

there are a couple of ways i can recommend to go in... but i need you to answer the questions above, a little help here Spencer. Primarily #4 as that will tell me if its even at all possible that you somehow deleted a file you needed for installation from an archive located on your HDD..Because when you are manually Deleting something the terms you use in your search are VERY VERY important especially when the files you are attempting to delete are quite possibly named the same way the files you need to reinstall the program are! ;)

Ps anyone else who knows more or can help PLEASE chime in or correct me...OR BOTH lol :D

Edited by Rakim

1. i manually deleted the files(everything that had to do with gta

2.im sorry i do not know what registry keys are?

3.i was playing gta on an acual disk(from the store)

4.im not excactly sure what ur saying in #4 but i installed it from the v2 gta sanandreas disk..which i got from the store

4.im not excactly sure what ur saying in #4 but i installed it from the v2 gta sanandreas disk..which i got from the store

Sorry i was not clear enough on what i was askin.What I was askin was what method you installed from meaning an actual disk or a dl'ed=downloaded copy../Which you already answered by the way...

I needed to know this in order to discern if you had somehow removed an essential file from within the rar or image blah blah blah..which ever specific means you had stored the files for installation on your machine because in the event you installed using something other than an original copy you could have very well deleted a .cab file or something you needed when you were removing files you found,although i dont think that would have produced quite that type of error. (CRC).

'AS i said in the other reply we can at least now rule out that you may have removed something during your delete everything to do with GTA" frenzy :yup: due to the fact that you would be unable to delete any files necessary for reinstall from a store bought disk or a disk which had a properly closed session as they are read only so you cant change any files on there short of screwing up the disk surface which was what Slayer was referring to when he suggested maybe your disk was dirty or scratched...But the other side of that is that you may have still deleted a file that you needed to properly un/reinstall the program still but instead of from a retail disk or a dl copy but from your HDD cuz those specific files are native to your PC after installation and during removal of said program the pc removes those files according to a prewritten order and if certain of those files are not there then you get issues where the computer is lookin for a certain file to be present and its not there OR vice versa the machine is expectin a certain file to not be present prior to an installation but the files are so the pc gets confused and then tells you about it(errormessage)..in my experience as a result of this when you do try to reinstall, the residual files keys & etc that remain on your system could prevent your being able to get a proper in/uninstall for that matter thus producing your error i think.

Now to answer your question about registry keys your registry is the place where Windows stores all the info that in so many word tells all your programs what to do and how to do it(configurations and stuff). if your pc were a body then the registry would be the thoughts and the processor would be the brain that turns all those thoughts in to action..

Now as far as GTA and any other programs on your machine is concerned they each have their own set of thoughts (registry keys) some times during a manual uninstallation those keys get left behind like memories of an old girl friend that just F***S you up everytime you think of her (same principle of old abandoned registry keys) hell somethimes during a proper uninstall they get left behind hehehe... Can some body here say DTools v3.47 ;) lol long story short you would have to go to start menu and open the run dialogue box and type regedit and then search there for any keys that pertain to Rockstar and manually delete them and that would do much like you would do on the img. tool or script editor for GTA you would go under edit and type find ROCKSTAR for the folders there and then delete what ever you find relating to said keys. I would however have to strongly discourage you goin in there bangin around in light of the fact that you did not know what a .reg key was i think it would be safe to say that you are NOT familiar with editing it..and if you screw something up in there, bearing in mind how i told you if your pc was the body and the registry and its keys were the thoughts,then try to imagine having a mixed up confused computer meaning it wont work properly cuz it thoughts(keys) were not in order and did not have the abilty to function as it should because of it...

So long story short, mess with the registry at your own risk..you can FUBAR yo pc for real. but on the other hand if done correctly most likely would solve your problem..

I still strongly support the easiest and least dangerous method which would be the prog. i suggested to you yesterday. Have you given any thought to that? You know recover the deleted files then do a proper un/reinstall...

These are just my suggestions, again im no pro and anyone here with more or better info please help this dude out..

Good luck man.. :D

Edited by Rakim

ok ill mess with tha regetid thing...and yea im familiar with editing and all that but like u im not a pro but u deff no more than me <_< ..lol..oh yea i gave thought to that program...infact i downloaded it but to find out i have to buy it in order to rocover files :thumbsdown: ...oh well if u have any more ideas u can give me please do and ill get back to u after i try those things u suggested...wish me luck man