I messed up :(

Apocalypes

Hey all. I recently tried to install a mod myself. A weapons one to be more precise. And i messed it up, i backed up my files so i went to replace the modded ones but it still froze. So ill just have to reinstall. The thing is i have installed loads of car mods with the Mod installer which is great, and i was wondering cant i just copy the files which the mod edits. I think its handling, and something else i cant remember, so if i keep them on my comp and replace the ones when i have reinstalled it. Would that work, if it would which files would i have to keep. Thanks in advance.

You should have no problem backing up your files, just make sure they work first. The main ones you want are your DATA

folder & GTA3.IMG (GTA3 is the default name used for the file that contains all the models in all the GTAs since GTA3). All

you need to do is make a new folded (in the SA directory is fine) & name it BACKUP or something like that. Copy the files

you want to edit into it & you're set.

In fact, it's strongly recommended.

I can't tell you much about mod installers, I do mine manually.

Good Luck.

If your game still freezes after restoring a backup, it means you did something wrong along the way - that freeze means that there's something wrong with SA's files and it can't figure out how to work.

You might have added a dff or txd file to gta3.img without removing the old one; you might have added a line to handling/vehicles.ide/carcols/carmods without replacing the old one, you might have missed a number off the end of one of those lines (obviously its different files for weapons). Check all these by installing the weapon mod all over again, and you should be able to see where you went wrong.

If your backups of the config files don't help, then the problem will probably be in the IMG file (since you can't backup the entire thing). Make sure you're backing up from just before you installed that weapon mod, so that all the data from the other mods you installed is still there.

If you really can't get it to work, perhaps ask someone else for a backup of some of the files. If that doesn't work, as you say, you'll probably need to install SA again. If your IMG file and config files don't work, then there's not really anything you can do to save them (if you put them on your new game, then they still wouldn't work).