GTA SA vs Vista Tutorial

JAB HacksouL

GTA SA vs VISTA

I want to make this very clear I DO NOT USE WINDOWS VISTA so there maybe errors in what I tell you but these points are available to research (as I did) on many websites. I am reading a lot of mod install and uninstall issues that boil down to users of the New Coke of Windows. I saw the Mohave ads on TV and the internet and I believe this product must really SUCK when you have to "trick people" into even using it. More to the point you need a Microsoft technical advisory to show you how to use it.

With Windows Vista, users are no longer compelled to work hard to keep files organized by placing them in specific folders, but instead can simply save files into a "generic" file area and have them automatically appear in "Virtual Folders" that collect files of a type of user defined specification together.

So, what are Virtual Folders?

They are clones to Windows files and folders you access. This is done to make an extra security layer to protect the real files that still remain untouched and unmodded in the programs folder. These copies living under My Documents, Virtual Folders they are dynamically updated in the background while you work. Maybe...

Now that Windows Vista no longer allows you write files to the "Program Files" directory GTA SA doesnt work correctly. The new Vista security design feature (aka MS redirecting driver) now takes the files that were going to the the "Program Files\Rockstar\GTA SA" directory and redirects them the users local profile into a "Virtual Store" directory. I understand the necessity to do this to help maintain security and integrity.

What if a mod shuts my game down and refuses to run?

Mostly the Vista program COM Surrogate automatically shuts down .exe files as it sees them as sources of harm on your PC, this is not always correct. So, first you must allow your GTA_SA.exe file to be allowed by the DEP(Data Execution Prevention) Program to allow it to work. This can be done as follows :

1. Go to Computer
  2. Click on System Properties
  3. Then click on the Advanced System Settings tab on the left .
  4. The system properties tab will open
  5. Click on the Settings tab under Performance
  6. Then click on the Data Execution Prevention tab in the new performance options tab
  7. Select the 2nd option and simply add the .exe file of GTA to the list , mak sure that it is ticked.
  8. Apply changes .
  9. Restart

Final Note: If the above does not work for you then simply go to youtube.com and type GTA SA Vista and you should get a lot of videos telling you other alternatives. The whole point of looking at these videos is that GTA SA does not have a single specific problem on Vista. Yes there are many. You can see the videos and see what problem you are facing

somewhere there is a solution.

I wish the Vista owners the best of luck but I have no plans to leave XP or even upgrade to Service Pack 3.

=======Update=========

Here are some videos and links I hope you will find useful.

10 Vista Tweaks

How I got GTA San Andreas to Work with (a crappy OS) Vista

Edited by JAB HacksouL