How to save your games in a custom folder

JustADummy

Tutorial from OrionSR @ GTAForums:

First of all my thanks goes out to 'mustrum (DFXP)' for pointing out the problem.
I just wanted to share the fixs for this. A guy at isonews found it out. It's a problem with your username with windows. He says it has something to do with having a , or something like that in username.

I made a new user named GTA and it really works now.

For people who don't want to make a new Windows account just for freaking savegames in GTA San Andreas do the following (it looks like it will take long bit actually you'll be done in 5 minutes or so);

Savegame fix by killah667 - DFXP (aka madlib - Gta: Connection) thanks to mustrum - DFXP

Software / files needed

-------------------

- HEX editor - (http://www.hhdsoftware.com/Download/hexedfull.exe FREE)

- test save game - (http://www.decypher072.nl/uploads/GTASAsf1.b) (DOWN)

Open up the HEX editor and open gta_sa.exe from your GTA San Andreas install dir (!!! make a backup first of this file !!!) push CTRL+F

and search for the word `Personal`

1.png

Once it found the word 'Personal' click on the first letter of this word

2.png

Now replace it with `Gtasasav` and save the file (File > Save)

3.png

Fire up Regedit (Go to Start > Run > Regedit) and search for the key;

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

4.png

add a new key... (REG_SZ)

5.png

fill in 'Gtasasav` for the new key name

6.png

double click on the new key name `Gtasasav` and fill in `C:\Documents and Settings\Gtasasav` and click ok and then close regedit

7.png

Go to 'C:\Documents and Settings\' and make a folder called `Gtasasav` Now reboot your PC (dunno if this is really needed though) and then fire up GTA San Andreas and when the main menu is loaded quit the game and have a look at `C:\Documents and Settings\Gtasasav`

and OMFG ! a brandnew savegame dir !! to see if it works copy the savegame, that i gave earlier, to the `C:\Documents and Settings\Gtasasav\GTA San Andreas User Files` dir and fire up GTA San Andreas again and load up the game to see if it works :)

GL ! i hope it works for you guys too ! :) (only tested it with myself)

PS: maybe someone can upload the edited .exe somewhere i just made the HEX guide also cause i aint got no space to host it atm

also its easy to export that subkey to a file maybe someone can host that too or even make a patcher if anyone feels like it :)

Edited by Spider-Vice

errr cool i guess, tbh a LOT of effort to go to. if you wanna make a new save file, like 2 sets of save files, rename "GTA san andreas user files" folder inside my documents to ANYTHING else. and it recreates the folder on startup :)

works for vice city too. i guess it would also work for gta III

saves people hex editing, its not the easiest of tasks (although i have done it once or twice). also can you make all the text black, a registry path is yellow and its sorta...unreadable unless you highlight with cursor so yeah lol.

also keep in mind on some systems (ones that you do not have administrative access), you wouldnt be able to do this, i guess that's obvious cos your using registry editor, but on top of that, you usually wont have write permissions for folders other than your own. im talking about a school / work environment here btw

but WHAT are you doing playing games at school/work, that is for working heheheh jks

Edited by WRX22B1998