Would this HDD (SSD) Work?

_Ray

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820220341

Does that SSD (32GB) have enough storage for me to comfortably partition it in half, install Vista 64 and Ubuntu to it and use them with enough swap space to keep the performance up high?

Also, will this drive last a while?

(Like 3-4 Years, or more)

EDIT: Screw Ubuntu, 1 partition for Windows Vista 64 only.

This drive needs to last 4 years, be the active Windows drive, keep its speed of 170 Read/100 Write MB/s, etc.

Holy hell, I just realized that I've been trying to build this PC for over a month. No wonder things keep changing......

Edited by raybob95

No. SSDs suck currently and are only good for ultra-portable laptops a.k.a. Macbook Air a.k.a. overpriced pieces of shit.

1. They are slow as shit...a LOT slower than SATA drives, especially when multitasking. Gaming? Your screen will be skipping constantly.

2. They have a limited number of read/writes--this means EVERY SSD EVER PRODUCED IS GUARANTEED TO FAIL UNTIL ONE IS DESIGNED THAT FIXES THAT PROBLEM

3. They are too expensive. 32GB? For $90? You realize you could get a 1TB drive (that's almost 1,000 Gigabytes after formatting) for not much more?

No. SSDs suck currently and are only good for ultra-portable laptops a.k.a. Macbook Air a.k.a. overpriced pieces of shit.

1. They are slow as shit...a LOT slower than SATA drives, especially when multitasking. Gaming? Your screen will be skipping constantly.

2. They have a limited number of read/writes--this means EVERY SSD EVER PRODUCED IS GUARANTEED TO FAIL UNTIL ONE IS DESIGNED THAT FIXES THAT PROBLEM

3. They are too expensive. 32GB? For $90? You realize you could get a 1TB drive (that's almost 1,000 Gigabytes after formatting) for not much more?

1) This drive is rated at 175MB/s Read Speed

2) It should still last a while, and normal HDD fail easily too.

3) Yeah, expensive, but my choice is this 64GB Drive for $140 and 2x performance, or a $100 640GB Drive I'll never use. I AM Planning to get a Samsung 1TB SATA Drive. As I said, this SSD is for Windows ONLY. All Music, Games, Pics, Apps, EVERYTHING ELSE will be on the 1TB.

1. It doesn't matter what speed the SSD is rated at, it will still slow you down. The technology just isn't as developed as regular hard drives.

2. You didn't understand my meaning; SSDs by their current design have a limited number of reads/writes. Therefore, every SSD produced will fail at some point. A regular hard drive, by design, is not guaranteed to fail like a SSD is. A non-defective standard hard drive will outlast any SSD.

3. Get a 10k RPM drive if you're doing that. SSDs are horrible. Also, it probably wont fit as the 2.5'' form factor is designed for laptops, not desktops. Desktop hard drive bays are usually made to fit 3.5'' drives.

1. It doesn't matter what speed the SSD is rated at, it will still slow you down. The technology just isn't as developed as regular hard drives.

2. You didn't understand my meaning; SSDs by their current design have a limited number of reads/writes. Therefore, every SSD produced will fail at some point. A regular hard drive, by design, is not guaranteed to fail like a SSD is. A non-defective standard hard drive will outlast any SSD.

3. Get a 10k RPM drive if you're doing that. SSDs are horrible. Also, it probably wont fit as the 2.5'' form factor is designed for laptops, not desktops. Desktop hard drive bays are usually made to fit 3.5'' drives.

Well, if you can direct me to a 10k HDD under $140, with a capacity of at least 64GB, and reads Windows faster than that SSD, then sure, I'll take it. It also needs to consume as little power as possible, and last at least 4 years.

All the Velocirapters I find are SCSI/SAS, and my Mobo only has SATA, and a controller would put me incredibly far out of budget.

Edited by raybob95