Encountered a error and needs to close upon startup

Kloppstock

For some odd reason SA have last week recieved a global error that now perm affects entire computer,

"gta_sa.exe has encountered a error and needs to close" is the message when trying to start the game

I say global computer issue cause it doesnt help to uninstall/reinstall game, didnt help to delete ".set file" either, perhaps if someone could send a none corrupted new "set file"..but on the other hand i have moved away the entire old "GTA San Andreas User Files" from "My documents" and it doenst help either, have now installed latest ATI driver 9.10 alls but no effect, have searched registry for errors with Registry Mechanics, didnt help

have version 2 of the game

Any ideas what triggered this? it doesnt feel exeptionaly good to be forced to reinstall entire computer if i wanna play thus

Edited by Kloppstock

Werll you don't have to format the whole computer because of this. Did you install any mods? Version 2 doesn't support mods, making the game crash. Still first of all navigate to a hidden folder (Vista) C:\Users\(YOURUSER)\Appdata\Local\VirtualStore and delete Rockstar Games from there. If you're on XP do the following, delete all files manually including the set file directory. Then put the SA DVD in and start setup.exe. If you're on Vista do that step of the Virtualstore and this. Sometimes starting setup.exe from the DVD directory forces the game to uninstall in the install thing, or it'll just install on top ;) If you want to use mods, you must google GTA SA Downgrader as I'm not allowed to post a link for it.

• Like 1

Werll you don't have to format the whole computer because of this. Did you install any mods? Version 2 doesn't support mods, making the game crash. Still first of all navigate to a hidden folder (Vista) C:\Users\(YOURUSER)\Appdata\Local\VirtualStore and delete Rockstar Games from there. If you're on XP do the following, delete all files manually including the set file directory. Then put the SA DVD in and start setup.exe. If you're on Vista do that step of the Virtualstore and this. Sometimes starting setup.exe from the DVD directory forces the game to uninstall in the install thing, or it'll just install on top ;) If you want to use mods, you must google GTA SA Downgrader as I'm not allowed to post a link for it.

pending edit

Edited by Kloppstock

I dont use any mods,

have windows XP SP3

i now deleted the entire "gta san andreas user files" folder

uninstalled the game

allso regedited this compupter and deleted all related game keys i could find

did a fresh installation, didnt complain during install, untill klicking exe after, same error again

it accually looks like i must reinstall the computer after all? :)

• Like 1

Not really, try deleting that VirtualStore thingy. (first uninstall the game again) And then try again, if it still doesn't work try compatibility mode OR update your graphics card drivers, it usually does that when it doesn't detect any drivers.

You don't need to reinstall Windows because of a game but if you have to look out with registry editors or these cheap "Registry repairers", they can muck up your registry and damage applications.

Not really, try deleting that VirtualStore thingy. (first uninstall the game again) And then try again, if it still doesn't work try compatibility mode OR update your graphics card drivers, it usually does that when it doesn't detect any drivers.

You don't need to reinstall Windows because of a game but if you have to look out with registry editors or these cheap "Registry repairers", they can muck up your registry and damage applications.

What is VirtualStore? it sounds like some obscure Vista technology? :)

The graphic card is updated, SA behaves the same on the two latest versions of cataltyst driver installed i have tested

I have used "Registry Mechanics" long time, its supposed to be world leading..i have personaly never seen that the program fixes will stopp installed programs from working after, but it could be as you say, thats why i allready have restore-backuped every change Registry mechanics have caused during these 2 months, but who knows how believable their backup function works in the reality, theres nothing moore i can do there however, (un)fortentley i dont use Windows restore points either so i cant go that way either

So if i really wanna play SA right now, then i must reinstall windows in my situation ;)or..

Edited by Kloppstock