Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

awptions

Contact Me:

AIM: awptionz

21l2z54.jpg

I purchased Grand Theft Auto 4 from GameStop about 6 months ago for $55.00 and I haven't be able to get it working at all since. When I put the GTA 4 Disc 1 into the computer, go to My Computer and double click on GTA 4. It autoplays, and takes me to the Grand Theft Auto IV Setup. I click on Install Social Club and freezes. After a about 2-3 minutes. A Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error comes up and says...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3weq0uA-Yc

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Runtime Error!

Program: ...~1\Temp\{59867A96-3905-4C9E-883A-5F4BE41728D2}\setup.exe

abnormal program termination"

I click ok, and nothing happens. When I click on Install Social Club again, it just does the same thing.

My Computer Specs

---------------------------------

Intel Dual-Core E8400 6MB Cache @ 3.00GHz

2.00 GB of RAM

GeForce 9600GT 512MB

500GB Western Digital HardDrive

----------------------------------

Please help me, I've had this problem for like ever.. and this game is amazing, I played it at a friends house.

Thanks

Edited by awptions

Try downloading and installing this package.

And in addition to that, download this too if your OS is 64-bit

I have Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3. I think its 32-bit, im not sure.

I have that already, but I installed it again anyways.

Still doesn't work.

EDIT: I was installing an 86-bit.. I'm installing the 64-bit now, lets see if it works lol.

EDIT2: Nope, it won't let me install it.

Edited by awptions

Still doesn't work.

EDIT: I was installing an 86-bit.. I'm installing the 64-bit now, lets see if it works lol.

Read my modified post and install all 3 32-bit packages. Also try running Windows Update.

What are your system specs?

Still doesn't work.

Read my modified post and install all 3 32-bit packages. Also try running Windows Update.

What are your system specs?

They are posted in my first post.

and okay, installing them now.

OK, your specs look good, except maybe the RAM may be causing it. (but most likely not -_-)

Try disabling as many background programs as possible....

EDIT: You are using a legal copy of GTA IV correct?

And honestly, beyond what I already posted, I really don't know what the problem may be until I try to take some time to figure it out. As for you, try google-ing the error code and/or problem.

Try this.

Edited by Raybob

The ram isn't causing it, cause my friend has 2GB of ram, and it works flawlessly for him.

I actually have a better computer than him, heh.

Theres no background programs running besides AIM and firefox (this forum lol).

Yes, its legal. I went to gamestop and purchased it.

Muhfucka's ripped me off, gave me a janky copy.

I downloaded the first set, and it said install.exe had an error.

I installed the second set, and it says.. 'Setup cannot continue because this version of the .NET Framework is incompatible with a previously installed one. For more information, see http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q312/5/00.asp'

I've tried googling the problem, and the error. but it comes up no results, or people are getting a totally different error than me.

Geeeez, I REALLY want to play. LOL.

Edited by awptions

Well, RUN WINDOWS UPDATE!!! And exit out of Firefox too....

And try this since you mentioned AIM and that it crashed when trying to work with Social Club....

And try these packages (Later versions of the .NET Framework:)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6&displaylang=en

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

And that's the last of my ideas for now.

Edited by Raybob

I exit AIM, and it still gave me the runtime error. Hmm.

I'm running windows update as we speak.

Yeah, one last idea, reboot, and then clean the Windows Temporary Files Directory with Windows Disc Cleanup.

+Go back and read my edited post.

Also, does the disc have any major visible scratches or other blemishes?

Edited by Raybob

I exit AIM, and it still gave me the runtime error. Hmm.

I'm running windows update as we speak.

Yeah, one last idea, reboot, and then clean the Windows Temporary Files Directory with Windows Disc Cleanup.

+Go back and read my edited post.

Also, does the disc have any major visible scratches or other blemishes?

I did ALL the system updates, took me about an hour and a half (geeez).

I rebooted.

I cleaned the windows temporary files directory (was like 3300kb) with Windows Disc Cleanup.

I rebooted.

I looked at the disc, and its got a few scratches. Just usual wear and tare. I'd say 5-6 scratches, but nothing major..

Still not working...:'(

Edited by awptions

maybe email/call rockstar tech support. if they cant help, take the game back and say it wont install they'll probably give you a different copy.

Did you install the .Net Framework packages? If that does work, then yeah just do what he said 'cause there's nothing else I can think of.

Are you using a modded/hacked/copied/whatever version of Windows?

Edited by Raybob

maybe email/call rockstar tech support. if they cant help, take the game back and say it wont install they'll probably give you a different copy.

Did you install the .Net Framework packages? If that does work, then yeah just do what he said 'cause there's nothing else I can think of.

did i? lol.

i presume net framework would've been installed generally it comes along with windows updates

did i? lol.

i presume net framework would've been installed generally it comes along with windows updates

I know that's why I was like WTF because I thought that was what was causing his problem. I've had that problem come up for me too with other apps that were solved by updating the .Net and C++ Visual Libraries.

did i? lol.

I know that's why I was like WTF because I thought that was what was causing his problem. I've had that problem come up for me too with other apps that were solved by updating the .Net and C++ Visual Libraries.

I already contacted shitty rockstar tech support, that was the first thing I did.. and no response yet.

My windows was a 30 day trial, and I went to my oobe thing in regedit (some youtube vid told me to) and put in some numbers, and then it said my windows was activated. I wouldn't think that'd be the reason. I have a Windows XP Home Edition SP1 CD, but no cd key so I had to activate it ^(that) way.

I have the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Distributible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3weq0uA-Yc

Edited by awptions

So you stole Windows?

That's probably what's causing your problem.

I have the windows xp disc.. o.O

I just don't have a key, so I used the thing to bypass activation.

Which is most likely causing your problem.

How could you possibly legally purchase Windows and not get an activation key?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm-oWgCr314

I did that.

I got this disc with my dell computer in 2003.

The activation key doesn't work.

I find it hard to believe you, but if you're really telling the truth I'd say reinstall your OS, then contact Microsoft Tech Support and get it activated the right way.

I find it hard to believe you, but if you're really telling the truth I'd say reinstall your OS, then contact Microsoft Tech Support and get it activated the right way.

I have a purple disc, that says OPERATING SYSTEM ALREADY INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER. 'Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition including Service Pack 1a'

then I have a yellow cd key, that says a bunch of numbers/letters. and yeahh, says it doesnt work.

EDIT: I guess reformatting it is...

Edited by awptions

I have a purple disc, that says OPERATING SYSTEM ALREADY INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER. 'Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition including Service Pack 1a'

then I have a yellow cd key, that says a bunch of numbers/letters. and yeahh, says it doesnt work.

EDIT: I guess reformatting it is...

Call Microsoft to get the key problem worked out.