Boosting GTA IV On PC Over Different Hardware

Hello,

I thought it would be great to share this information with the TGTAP users of ways I have proven boost the performance of GTA IV with compatible and incompatible hardware.

If you are not using NVidia 7900GT or newer (incompatible graphic cards, Windows XP):

Play in Windowed mode at 640x480

A great way to boost the performance is by playing GTA IV in a window with lower resolution. To do this you must open notepad and type in the same text as in the image below:

-windowed

-width 640

-height 480

87540994.png

Having a lower screen resolution will also make the window look bigger and keep the same resolution of GTA IV.

Use Windows Classic theme:

Using the Windows Classic theme will use less video memory which is able to boost GTA IV.

11249550.png

NOTE: this will only allow a small boost.

If you are using a graphic card stronger than NVidia 7900GT:

If you are using a graphic card stronger than a 7900GT then you would be able to run GTA IV at a good speed even possibly with a Pentium 4. Download the NVidia 180.64 driver which has been recommended for GTA IV. You may also use the NVidia Control Panel to optimize settings for GTA IV.

NVidia Driver Downloads

If you are using Intel Celeron Conroe-L (4xx series):

I play GTA IV with an Intel Celeron 440 Conroe-L 2GHZ (LGA 775, 800MHZ FSB, Intel 65nm) and it runs quite well at a resolution of 1280x1024. This CPU is not old as it was released around late 2007 and is using Intel 65nm technology meaning it will have a lower clock speed and be faster than the other Celerons. GTA IV has been known to have general performance errors despite having great hardware at use.

- Low detail/view distance

GTA IV is working great for me with:

FoxConn P4M9007MB-8R2SH

Intel Celeron 440 Conroe-L (LGA 775, 800MHZ FSB)

2GB Corsair DDR2 RAM

ASUS EN9500GT Magic PCI-E 512MB

Other Specs:

240GB HDD

Realtek HDA 8CH

Thermlake Case Fan

Intel LGA775 Cooler

DVD-RW Drive

GTA IV FPS (With FRAPS)

20 - 28 FPS On Foot

20 - 25FPS While Driving (May vary over different vehicles)

35 - 45 FPS In Cutscenes

35 FPS Interiors

30 FPS When Flying

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-b5HuhvTSM

Edited by Guest

800MHz? Somehow I don't believe this. I mean I've seen videos of somebody making a NVIDIA 8600 with a 2.0GHz single processor make it run smoothly but with an old setup like that it just seems un-real.

It's not old. The CPU has a clock speed of 2 GHZ and can't be overclocked because it's using the 65nm technology meaning it is a faster processor at a lower clock speed. This line of Celerons released around late 2007 and I purchased mine brand new when I built my PC earlier this year. 800MHZ is the FSB (front side bus) commonly 533, 800 and 1066 MHZ however may be higher on some CPU's. Some Pentium Dual Cores use a 500MHZ FSB, meaning they are slower than this line of Celerons which were made with a higher FSB and intended to have lower clock speeds of around 2GHZ which is all part of the 65nm technology used in the Intel Core2 CPU's.

• 2 months later...