Deleting GTA.set

Rakim

Ok guys anyone know exactly why the GTA.set file keeps getting corrupted so that the only way to get the game to load is to delete said file?I mean if thats what it takes then so be it, but man it happens so often that it gets annoying :pissedred: when i have to keep resetting my preferences over and over again.I was kinda hoping to find out why this is happening so i can prevent it..I have searched but it seems that everyone knows of the file delete fix but noone knows how to prevent it or what caused it in the first place. :nope:

Delete the file and run SA. That should help.
Thanks for the info man, but what i was askin was does anyone know why that is ?I already knew of deleting the file to get the game to run but i what i wanted to know was why do we have to do that??What is causing the defect in the first place you know what i mean...Thats neither typical nor acceptable so i would like to get to the root cause of that in the event that it is something that i can effect one way or another ie: changin my settings or something similar..

Perhaps you are changing settings that are incompatible with your computer.

One thing that it doesn't like is if either you set a resolution which your monitor isn't supposed to be displaying (using a widescreen res on a normal monitor). Or if you choose a resolution higher than your monitor / graphics card is able to display, such as 2048x5036, you'd need a decent gfx card and huge monitor to use that.

Ooooo, nice! So graphics is not the problem... Still dunno what might be the problem. Get the newest drivers, perhaps.

Like i was sayin in one of my other posts i am not the typical go and ask in order to get my info guy, i usually try to work it out on my own and i already went and got the latest drivers, in fact that was one of the first things i tried i went stright to the nvidia site and dl'ed the latest nforce stuff..Hell i went to AMD and got the latest drivers for my processor too then i went to creative to get the latest XFI drivers but there werent any newer ones than what i had..I intitially thought graphics issue too but while i did not get my monitor soley for resolution but for a combo of size and resolution i went kinda middle of the road it shows up to like 1366x768 and that is more than the game shows so i sont know...But now in retrospect i think the settings in my nvidia desktop manager are set to something different that may be the issue i will check when i get home to see... :) now anything within reason is an option

Edited by Rakim

Have you tried playing with the default settings, so that you delete the file, run the game and play?

Other than that, formating the HDD would fix it, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

Yea formatting the HDD would be a lil over the top for me,although i went and checked my settings for the monitor through my nvidia ctrl pnl and i adjusted a couple of things here and there and no bad GTA.set file as of yet but who knows.. :unsure: Im not sure that the whole problem wasnt just me tryin to add some mod that was causing my corrupted settings file because i was installing it wrong or what. But what i do know is that i have to see if i can duplicate the problem at will, at least that way i can learn to stay away from it in the future.Because i am starting to try to master the basics of modding. But on another note formatting the Hdd how would that affect my settings file..Of course i know that fdsk would erase e thing obviously, but does formatting the hdd play any role in how that specific file behaves?

but does formatting the hdd play any role in how that specific file behaves?

Of course it does. If some drivers ae corrupt, reinstalling sometimes won't help. If some settings are set wrong, this again helps. It there are any viruses, this helps. Formatting helps, but it's a bit too much if you ask me.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Slayer i am at my wits end i dont know what the problem is but what i do know is that I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE!! :pissedred: I am loosing it over here 4real man...I hate doing double work on my job and i get payed but i hate it even more in my lesisure time i cant for the life of me figure out what the problem is on the GTA.set file glitch i have to delete it everytime i want to play,then as a result of this i have to re enter all of my resolution settings etc. I dont know what is causing this i know we went over this already and i have checked all of the typical things:

1.Got latest drivers for Nvidia GFX cards

2.Got latest drivers for XFI card

3.Made sure res. settings did not exceed monitor ability to display(my monitor exceeds the game)

4.Searched web for fixes

5.Have v.2 retail disk , same issue from intitial v.2 install. Same after Downgrade to v.1. Same with v.1 copy i use now.

Hopefully this bump will yield some new answers although the outlook seems grim..

I wont reformat, thats OVERKILL but Dammit man i know its is a basic problem i am having i just need to isolate the issue so i can fix it.I think i need to write R* that is my last option