help me get a faster framerate

WillyPhister

Im not satisfied with my framerate. Im running gta sa 2.0 but I downgraded to 1.0 and installed a few custom cars. When I first load the game the framerate is acceptable but then it gets slower as I play. These are my specs - 2.4 celeron, geforce fx5500oc 256 mb, 1 gig of ram, Creative soundblaster audigy 32mb. GTA is installed on my 80 gig drive but I have 32 gigs of free space on it still, I also have a 230 gig drive with 185 gigs of free space, would the game run better on the 230 gig hard drive? Im running the game on low graphics with the draw distance on minimum and I have the resolution at 800x600. I have a very clean pc with no viruses, spware or anti virus running, and I also use the End It All program to close all my background programs before I play. I guessing that my 2.4 celeron is bottlenecking things. I have 2.8 P4 HT cpu coming in the mail but I that wont be here til a week from now. So what are some things I can do to help my framerate until I get my P4? Also does anyone know if I will need to get a new mobo to support Hyperthreading when I install my P4? the mobo im using is the one came with my pc in 2002 so its pretty old school, it doesnt even have an agp slot or pci express.

Just build an entirely new PC, I doubt you'll even see a better framerate with the Pentium 4, if you're looking for maximum settings you'll need a better processor.

It has nothing to do with how much free space you have on your hard drive.

Also be sure that your motherboard's CPU slot is the same as the P4's. I'm guessing they're both LGA775 but if your motherboard's isn't, you'll need a new motherboard for the processor...then you'll need a new CPU cooler and thermal paste, etc...

I do plan on building a new pc, but I dont have the cash right now. Im not worried about playing with maximum setting right now I just want a decent framerate. The p4 is socket 478 and so is my mobo, I have tons of cooling fans and thermal paste laying around also, but are you sure a P4 wont help, its a fairly decent upgrade from my celeron.

Im not satisfied with my framerate. Im running gta sa 2.0 but I downgraded to 1.0 and installed a few custom cars. When I first load the game the framerate is acceptable but then it gets slower as I play. These are my specs - 2.4 celeron, geforce fx5500oc 256 mb, 1 gig of ram, Creative soundblaster audigy 32mb. GTA is installed on my 80 gig drive but I have 32 gigs of free space on it still, I also have a 230 gig drive with 185 gigs of free space, would the game run better on the 230 gig hard drive? Im running the game on low graphics with the draw distance on minimum and I have the resolution at 800x600. I have a very clean pc with no viruses, spware or anti virus running, and I also use the End It All program to close all my background programs before I play. I guessing that my 2.4 celeron is bottlenecking things. I have 2.8 P4 HT cpu coming in the mail but I that wont be here til a week from now. So what are some things I can do to help my framerate until I get my P4? Also does anyone know if I will need to get a new mobo to support Hyperthreading when I install my P4? the mobo im using is the one came with my pc in 2002 so its pretty old school, it doesnt even have an agp slot or pci express.

One thing that could help your game would be to make sure you've defragged the 80gig drive. If the large files of the game are too fragmented, that will slow down your game.

As for the larger drive helping, if its a higher-rpm drive with quicker access time and posssibly a larger cache buffer, then yes, it would help your game.

I have a P4 HT 3.0Ghz and I 'think' you might need a mobo that supports hyperthreading to use it. I seem to recall something in the BIOS about it but it's been quite awhile so I can't be sure. You might want to look into that on other sites that deal with hardware of this sort...

Not having AGP or PCI-express slots isn't helping... As Chris82 suggested, you might want to look into upgrading to take care of all the bottlenecks in one shot.

thanks for the tips. I have defraged my 80 a few times since I installed the game but its been a few weeks so I'll get on that tonight. Im pretty sure im gona need a different mobo, my bios is weak. Im not gona upgrade this pc anymore other a new cpu, im just gona a build a new one when I get get done blowing money on my other hobbies.

Hmm yeah processor is the biggest factor I think, then graphics then RAM. Ur vid card is PCI ??? That would be the first thing to upgrade (your mobo) so that u can take advantage of PCI-E (or AGP for that matter) cause that will increase the rate that the graphics communicates with rest of system...

i had the same sorta problems (like u had/have) with Vice city, but I had a lot of car mods even though the comp was good then (2ghz p4, 768ram, fx5200 256m, 80gb hdd)it still lagged sorta...or it would keep re-drawing stuff, but even if you are at the same distance, you look at it and it draws, then fades, then u cant see any walls n stuff...retarded. That was on 800x600 with like 3/4 draw distance.

Keep in mind though, if the game doesnt use threads (which it may or may not) then HT is pointless (for the games sake anyway) because its basically what dual core is, just less effective. how much physical memory do you have before you start up GTA san andreas? to check go to taskmanager (ctrl-alt-del) then click performance tab, and its under physical memory (K)

Eg for me it says this

__Physical Memory (K)_______

|Total: 1047852

|Available: 537000

|System Cache: 577616

|__________________________

What is your "available" ?

Edited by WRX22B1998

__Physical Memory (K)_______

|Total: 1046512

|Available: 763748

|System Cache: 810772

|__________________________

These are my stats.

Ya its kind of embarrassing to have a pci gpu but i don't tell many people. Im trying to leave the hardware alone in this pc because Im gona start fresh and build a decent gamer later on. Then ill just have this computer to use for other stuff.

Keep in mind though, if the game doesn't use threads (which it may or may not) then HT is pointless (for the games sake anyway) because its basically what dual core is, just less effective.
ok, ya I was kinda wondering what hyper threading is all about, I wasn't specifically looking for an HT processor when I picked this one out, but the price was right and I figured it would be better because of HT. The P4 is the same socket as my mobo so it will fit, but do you think I will need a new mobo for the P4 to work since it has HT, or will it function without using ht technology if the mobo doesn't support it, or do you think the mobo will support it?