A couple of Questions on Requirements

mongoose333

Please forgive me for asking a Question that has been asked all over the net.

Can I run this game?

Now before I say much else,

I have run just about all the games I have wanted to on My PC specs I have.

And I have just recently played One of the most Demanding New Games,

Operation Flashpoint :Dragon Rising, Others I have played and enjoyed recently,Include

World In Conflict, Crysis, Mercenaries 2, Batman Arkham Asylum.

Point being, I have played and enjoyed many many games, that their Minimum Requirements were

Above Mine, and yet I had a great time with them after tweaking here and there.

Now before I hear go get a new PC or upgrade, please know this.

I am Dealing with Cancer and a Recent Heart attack, and the funds are just not there to get what I need.

So I guess I am looking for someone who could maybe answer me.

My System Specs.

Win XP Home SP3

AMD ATHLON 64 3400+

CPU Speed 2.41 GHz / Performance rating at 4.338 GHz (According to Can you Run It).

1 Gig Ram DDR

ATI Radeon X1650 PRO AGP 512Mb.

Now, what I hear across alot of sites is You have to have a Dual or Quad core Processor to even think about running GTA IV.

My point, If you look at Operation Flashpoints : Dragon Rising's Minimum SYS requirements are

OFPDR

Minimum Sys Req.

* Operating system: Windows XP SP2 or later

* Graphics: DirectX 9.0c

* Graphics card: Nvidia 7600GT 256mb or ATI X1800XL 256mb

* Sound support: DirectX-compatible sound output

* RAM: 1GB RAM

* HD size: 8GB Hard disk space

* Processor: 2.4GHz Dual Core Processor

* DISC drive: Dual layer DVD-ROM

Well it says a Dual Core for a Min. But yet I had a great time with that game.

I guess at what I am getting at, is I have waited along time to play GTA IV, I have even waited

until it can be bought for $20.00 on D2D, and that sale ends at Midnight. Roughly 6 Hours.

Really would like to here from someone here who might be playing it on a similar System setup.

I know some people are playing it on Lower end systems even Single Cores.

And as for the Video Card I have, I have played tons of games, That have an X1900 Min Req.Like GTA IV.

While I just had this x1650Pro 512, and it has done fine in all those games, while way under the Min.

I mean, I certainly do not expect to run at High or even all Med.

I just think I know what it can do, and have witnessed it.

I just don't want to waste $20. Bucks, we really don't have.

I hope I made sense to someone...Just looking fer a little encouragement. Thanks.

Thanks, Sincerely,

Mongoose333

Edited by mongoose333

GTA 4 Minimum System Requirements

* Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz or equivalent AMD Athlon X2 64 2.4Ghz

* Memory/RAM: 1GB for XP and 1.5GB for Vista

* Video Card: 256MB NVIDIA 7900 or 256MB ATI X1900

* Hard Disk Space: 16GB free

* Operating System: Windows XP SP3 or Windows Vista SP1

yeah u need x1900 you have x1650. and you only have a single core amd 64. but i understand what you're saying however i would think you wont be able to run it, if you could it would be all on low settings. maybe if theres a store you can buy it from that gives a 7 day return policy (like EB has one, if you dont like the game then you can take it back within 7 days) then buy from there so you can see if it works then return it if it doesnt. otherwise you take the risk of wasting the money on the game.

GTA 4 Minimum System Requirements

* Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz or equivalent AMD Athlon X2 64 2.4Ghz

* Memory/RAM: 1GB for XP and 1.5GB for Vista

* Video Card: 256MB NVIDIA 7900 or 256MB ATI X1900

* Hard Disk Space: 16GB free

* Operating System: Windows XP SP3 or Windows Vista SP1

yeah u need x1900 you have x1650. and you only have a single core amd 64. but i understand what you're saying however i would think you wont be able to run it, if you could it would be all on low settings. maybe if theres a store you can buy it from that gives a 7 day return policy (like EB has one, if you dont like the game then you can take it back within 7 days) then buy from there so you can see if it works then return it if it doesnt. otherwise you take the risk of wasting the money on the game.

Well that's a bummer, and it doesn't make sense to me, that I can play many other games with the same MINIMUM Req. as GTA IV. (Dual or Quad core Min. games) and they work fine, for the most part.

As well as the X1900 Min. Card. games I have played with, the X1900 Minimum card REQUIREMENTS, also worked on my X1650 Pro 512.

Weird...

I really hope Game Devs, don't Phase out all Demos in the future, I am sure they lost alot of money due to No Demo...

Thanks, Mongoose333

yeah it is a shame. there is a chance you would be able to run it, like i said, see if stores have a refund or exchange policy, and if it doesnt work you can get your money back or swap for another game.

another option would be if you have a friend who has it on PC, borrow their copy to see if it will work.

yeah it is a shame. there is a chance you would be able to run it, like i said, see if stores have a refund or exchange policy, and if it doesnt work you can get your money back or swap for another game.

another option would be if you have a friend who has it on PC, borrow their copy to see if it will work.

Well, I understand, and at the same time, I DO NOT...

No, Im NO PC building monger with a Bottomless Wallet, I do know my gaming, and my gaming gos back Decades...

Here is where I HAVE Trouble understanding...

OK,

My system IS, a AWESOME FREE SYSTEM, givin from a Brother in law, who is a Tech and such.

I have

Win XP Home SP3

I have a Gig of Ram

I have X1650 PRO AGP 512 MB

AMD ATHLON 64 3400+ Single Core (as from what I see) (Brother in law, thinks when he built it fer me, he thinks he put Duo Core) But I dont see it. (He is a Tech, and he built this outta Kindness, He said he thinks he put dual core in it).

I can play these fine

Here are some MINIMAL REQUIREMENTS OF GAMES I HAVE PLAYED ON THIS, JUST FINE).

Srry Caps, just tryin to focus, ANY help, too my point...

Go look at this games, MINIMAL Req. TO RUN...

http://www.flashpointgame.com/index.php?page=homepage-us

NOTE: OFPDR- DUAL CORE DEMAND...

And here.

Fer instance

Saints Row 2

Publisher: THQ

Developer: Volition Inc.

Minimum System Requirements

Processor: 2.0 GHz Dual-Core Processor (Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon X2)

Memory: 1 GB Available System Memory

Hard Drive: 15 GB Available Hard Drive Space

Video Memory: 128 MB 3D Video Card w/Shader Model 3.0 Support (Nvidia GeForce 7600 / ATI Radeon X1300)

Display: DirectX Compatible Display Capable of 640 by 480 16-bit Color Resolution

Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible 16-bit Sound Card

DirectX: 9.0c

Broadband Connection for Internet Multiplayer

Well, I can run this too, on Med, and all is well

EXCEPT, the DRIVING...

I never played SR, to begin with,

But got this from D2D, and the PORT SUCKS

I can run great

just cannot DRIVE...

even on the low

Instead of me getting GTA IV last night

I got the CRYSIS PACKAGE.

I had already played the DEMO, but really didnt want it, as I am an old gamer, and just dont like future in games

I loved the Halo series, but that was runnin on my "fine line" of gaming

So imagine me on 1 hr of CRYSIS NOW.

I feel if GAME DEVELOPERS, are wanting to get ALL money, like I see, they are going to HAVE to Keep PC'S #1.

If it were not fer PCS, they would HAVE NO INDUSTRY...

I as many are, without work, sick and blah blah, but if it were not fer US, it would be a VERY, dead cyberspace.

Srry fer the Rants, but, this is gettin out of hand.

Hell's gonna be more packed than I thought 20 yrs ago...

So, I bought CRYSIS. because I played the DEMO. and life was good.

I mean, I have Gametap (SUCKS) account, Steam, Bigfish, Iwin. WW2ONLINE, Fighterace (since the start)

Please, anyone, go take a AMD ATHLON 64 3400+, and run Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising and get 30 - 40 FPS

with an X1650 PRO 512 MB. AGP. all on Med and High. LOL

Thanks fer they Help...

Really, TY.

Peace, Mongoose333

well if you're so convinced you'd be able to run it since your system is that good, go and buy it and see if you can. just dont come complaining when it lags so much or doesnt run...

EXCEPT, the DRIVING...

Video Memory: 128 MB 3D Video Card w/Shader Model 3.0 Support (Nvidia GeForce 7600 / ATI Radeon X1300)

this tells me that the rest of your system is not up to it, since your video card is a X1650. that should be a fairly good indicator to you.

well if you're so convinced you'd be able to run it since your system is that good, go and buy it and see if you can. just dont come complaining when it lags so much or doesnt run...

EXCEPT, the DRIVING...

this tells me that the rest of your system is not up to it, since your video card is a X1650. that should be a fairly good indicator to you.

No, I trust you, I guess GTA IV is a Huge resource hog,

For which I don't have the resources, lol...

Thanks fer your help. Much appreciated...

Take care...

Mongoose333

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Should run okay at low settings which are still great. My estimate is that you will run it 12 - 20 FPS as GTA IV is playable at 15 FPS.

I was once running it on an NVidia 6600GT which is in the same range as the ATI X1600 and the resolution was lower than 640x480 at a slow speed :S.

I have now upgraded my GPU and PSU and I am able to play GTA IV up to 3X as fast with a resolution of 1280x1024.

I'm not too sure about your CPU, I know much more about the Intel CPU's however it should run decently at anything in the newer range or a CPU that is still new or not outdated.

I have wrote up a thread about boosting the game performance in Windows XP. It will also help you as most of the required hardware could be better to run this game despite weather you have a dual core CPU or not.

http://www.thegtaplace.com/forums/topic/24693-boosting-gta-iv-on-pc-over-different-hardware/

In order to run PC games optimally you must have a balance of a good CPU, RAM and GPU.

GTA IV is working great for me with:

FoxConn P4M9007MB-8R2SH

Intel Celeron 440 Conroe-L (LGA 775, 800MHZ FSB)

2GB Corsair DDR2 RAM

ASUS EN9500GT Magic PCI-E 512MB

Other Specs:

240GB HDD

Realtek HDA 8CH

Thermlake Case Fan

Intel LGA775 Cooler

DVD-RW Drive

Edited by Guest