Village in Philippines bans DOTA, cites corruption of youth

Huckleberry Pie

This is partly the reason why I have a rather low opinion on politicos here in the Philippines. I don't play or care about the mod (or the Source Engine-powered sequel for that matter) myself, but this reeks more of a band-aid approach when it has more to do with parental complacency, and it can actually lead to a Streisand effect as well.

The popular computer game DotA (Defense of the Ancients) was banned in Barangay Salawag in Dasmariñas, Cavite following an ordinance implemented by the local government there.

In a report from GMA's 24-Oras on Wednesday, Salawag Bgry. Captain Eric Paredes said someone already died due to the computer game.

Mayroong dalawang namatay na ang pinagmulan ay sa mga computer shop nang galing 'yung pag aaway. Nalamin namin na ito pala'y naglalaro ng games sa computer shop at isa nga dito 'yung sinasabi nila na DotA, ("Two people were killed from brawls ensuing at computer shops. We found out that they were playing games at the said shops and one of them was this game they call DotA,") Paredes said.

Aside from this, barangay officials said DotA distracts youngsters from their studies and is a bad influence that makes the youth participate in video game gambling and violence.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/413042/news/regions/dota-banned-in-internet-shops-in-cavite-village