Ethernet cable help

The Bossman

I posted a similar topic to this on another forum, so I'll copy and paste it here so you can see what problem I have:

So, I finally managed to find my ethernet cable - it was at the bottom of a cupboard, for some reason. Anyway, I need some help with getting the PS3 online. The cable is plugged in the back of the PS3 and linked to the back of the computer right now, but it says 'limited or no connectivity', and I basically need help to get it to the right setting. I did all the settings for the PS3 to 'automatic', so it sorts everything out without me doing anything, but there's still a problem. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting to the net, but that didn't solve the problem, so any hints or tips to solve this for me? I'd love to go online against some of you, but now this bloody thing happens to me.

The problem is to do with obtaining an I.P address, it times out each time it tries to get an I.P address. If anyone knows something that'll help, I'd appreciate it. I'm sure I haven't missed anything out, all the PS3 settings are set to automatic, or default.

Don't worry, I've worked out how to do it from a guy on another forum, great advice and it worked, so I'm delighted! :D This will be the first time I've gone online on any console from my house. I was online once at a friends house about 4 years ago on Killzone, so this'll just blow me away. I'm currently downloading a firmware update - 2.42, not the dreaded 2.41 version.

Don't worry, I've worked out how to do it from a guy on another forum, great advice and it worked, so I'm delighted! :D This will be the first time I've gone online on any console from my house. I was online once at a friends house about 4 years ago on Killzone, so this'll just blow me away. I'm currently downloading a firmware update - 2.42, not the dreaded 2.41 version.

Good for you... God Bless and enjoy your game... :lolbounce: