GPU Memory Sharing

_Ray

OK. I'm getting an NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT 1GB Factory OC'd to 700 MHz from 600.

I also have 8GB 1200 MHz (OC'd from 1066) RAM, which I'll never use, (Not likely to use the 1GB Vid Memory Either, though :P ) but I was wondering if anybody knew of any software that would allow me to reserve a certain portion of my RAM to video memory. I plan on reserving either 512, or 768 MB of my RAM if possible.

If possible, does my Video card have this built in? Perhaps my BIOS. For info:

MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128358

GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814125246

Sorry for going off topic,but you could get a better video card for just extra 35 $.

Although it doesnt have 1GB vid mem,it's better than the one.And OC'd.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814150341

No.

Only 38 MHz higher than my OC, and memory is only 200MHz higher than my OC.

Besides, I don't need it.

I barely even need the normal 9800GT.

Besides, it's only 512MB and $35 more expensive when I'm already overbudget.

But thanks for the recommendation anyway, I did consider that card at one point.

Edited by raybob95

The technology exists, but it sucks.

You see, it's just too slow. Other then that, 512 is enough for almost everything. To my knowledge only GTA IV needs more, but still less than 1GB.

Usually only weak cards actually use this technology, since it pretty useless for actual gaming.

If you want better performance, then you have to get a beter card or OC it with Rivatuner. Though 700 MHz is pretty much for a singly slot G92 card, so I don't think it will go all that far.

Oh, wait. It's a non-ref cooler. Well, it might go it bit, but don't expect to go far. They might have left the mem not OC'd though. You can change that with either Rivatuner or Nubitor.

The following is not relevant to your question:

If I were you, I'd go for what Steam suggested. I mean, 35 USD really is nothing, why care about that when your grahic card is the heart of a gaming PC.

The 9800GTX+ will do 820 MHz with ease. Just use Nubitor or Rivatuner and that will seriously outperform the 9800GT. It's worth the extra 35.

Other then that, the 9800GT might be locked at 100% fan, which really is going to get onto your nerves. But I'm not sure about that though.. It's because quite a lot of 8800GT's had that, and 9800GT is identical to the 8800GT.

Not to say a 9800GT is bad though, not at all. You'll be happy with it. But for 35 USD extra, it's totally worth going for 9800GTX+

I payed like 200 USD more (like, instead of a 8800GT, which is a 9800GT) for a 9800GTX. The + Edition got a die-shrink from 65nm to 55nm, so it's slightly cooler. I can tell you that 9800GTX does over 800MHz with no probs at all and then it still runs at a cool 60 C. 9800GTX+ will go further, of course.

By the way, in combination with a 4GHz Wolfdale, it does Crysis with everything very high at 1680 x 1050, no AA. Crysis Warhead does everything very high with 2x AA at that reso. Looks great, runs smooth. You'll like it. GPU OC'd to 780.

Remember, in general it's not worth going for pre-OC'd cards. Just do it yourself. Beter, cheaper ect. (Go EVGA or XFX)

I hope that helped at least a bit...

The technology exists, but it sucks.

You see, it's just too slow. Other then that, 512 is enough for almost everything. To my knowledge only GTA IV needs more, but still less than 1GB.

Usually only weak cards actually use this technology, since it pretty useless for actual gaming.

If you want better performance, then you have to get a beter card or OC it with Rivatuner. Though 700 MHz is pretty much for a singly slot G92 card, so I don't think it will go all that far.

Oh, wait. It's a non-ref cooler. Well, it might go it bit, but don't expect to go far. They might have left the mem not OC'd though. You can change that with either Rivatuner or Nubitor.

The following is not relevant to your question:

If I were you, I'd go for what Steam suggested. I mean, 35 USD really is nothing, why care about that when your grahic card is the heart of a gaming PC.

The 9800GTX+ will do 820 MHz with ease. Just use Nubitor or Rivatuner and that will seriously outperform the 9800GT. It's worth the extra 35.

Other then that, the 9800GT might be locked at 100% fan, which really is going to get onto your nerves. But I'm not sure about that though.. It's because quite a lot of 8800GT's had that, and 9800GT is identical to the 8800GT.

Not to say a 9800GT is bad though, not at all. You'll be happy with it. But for 35 USD extra, it's totally worth going for 9800GTX+

I payed like 200 USD more (like, instead of a 8800GT, which is a 9800GT) for a 9800GTX. The + Edition got a die-shrink from 65nm to 55nm, so it's slightly cooler. I can tell you that 9800GTX does over 800MHz with no probs at all and then it still runs at a cool 60 C. 9800GTX+ will go further, of course.

By the way, in combination with a 4GHz Wolfdale, it does Crysis with everything very high at 1680 x 1050, no AA. Crysis Warhead does everything very high with 2x AA at that reso. Looks great, runs smooth. You'll like it. GPU OC'd to 780.

Remember, in general it's not worth going for pre-OC'd cards. Just do it yourself. Beter, cheaper ect. (Go EVGA or XFX)

I hope that helped at least a bit...

This PC is not mainly for gaming. GTAIV I might not even buy, and Flight Simulator once in a while. The 9800GT is enough, and I'm already well over budget.

And with the motherboard I'm getting, I can do everything OC related through my BIOS.

My 9800GT comes OCd to 700MHz Graphics Clock, and I will personally OC the memory from 1800 to 2000. The actual Processor of the GPU I will likely not OC.

And no, the 8800GT really is definetly not identical to the 9800GT. The 9800GT is newer, more update, and better for overclocking.

Edited by raybob95

And with the motherboard I'm getting, I can do everything OC related through my BIOS

I don't give a crap about your BIOS... It's a P45 think. Which is good for casual overclocking, but in no way is it an x serie.

And no, the 8800GT really is definetly not identical to the 9800GT. The 9800GT is newer, more update, and better for overclocking.

You're a fool.

I'm sorry, but how can you make such ignorant remark. Newer? In a sense. Updated? Not really. It is, in fact, 100% identical. It doesn't even use the 55nm version of the G92, but the old 65nm one. It uses the same ciruitboard design. It is.. the same card. It's rebranded. It's a strategy by nVidia to get idiots to buy their old products and it seems you are one of those idiots falling for their rebranding trick.

And with the motherboard I'm getting, I can do everything OC related through my BIOS

I don't give a crap about your BIOS... It's a P45 think. Which is good for casual overclocking, but in no way is it an x serie.

You're a fool.

I'm sorry, but how can you make such ignorant remark. Newer? In a sense. Updated? Not really. It is, in fact, 100% identical. It doesn't even use the 55nm version of the G92, but the old 65nm one. It uses the same ciruitboard design. It is.. the same card. It's rebranded. It's a strategy by nVidia to get idiots to buy their old products and it seems you are one of those idiots falling for their rebranding trick.

Yes, I do realize that they are mainly the same. But, the 8800GT does not come in 1GB Versions, and there is almost no price difference anyway.

That was a post by you by the way.... But back on topic, here's a quote, that may or may not apply to the actual meaning of this topic.

For example, at the time of writing I have a nVidia GeForce 8800GTS with 320MB of RAM. This card can also make used of shared RAM (memory taken from your system's RAM, of which I currently have a total of 4GB). I'm not sure how much it is possible to use, but DxDiag reports me as having 2GB of graphics memory
Edited by raybob95

I already answered your question...

You can, but it's pretty darn useless. If anything, stuff will run slower.

For what do you want to use it anyway?

I have 8GB RAM, which Ill never use, and a 1GB Video Card.

Figured GTAIV and FSX, and other things too would run better if I had a 1.5GB Card, and still ~ 7680MB (7.5GB) System RAM.

I see.

Well, I'm sorry to say that it won't. Even more than 512mb of VRAM usually doesn't make a difference. Usually.. GTA IV likes the extra VRAM. Crysis doesn't give a crap.

For all games apart from GTA IV more VRAM only increases performance at resolutions like 2560x1600, which you probably do not use.

I hope it's all clear to you now...

I see.

Well, I'm sorry to say that it won't. Even more than 512mb of VRAM usually doesn't make a difference. Usually.. GTA IV likes the extra VRAM. Crysis doesn't give a crap.

For all games apart from GTA IV more VRAM only increases performance at resolutions like 2560x1600, which you probably do not use.

I hope it's all clear to you now...

I am going to use 1920x1200

And I also do Video Encoding, which is mainly why I went 1GB. Also that it wasn't even $15 extra.

9800 GT is an 8800 with a different sticker.

So don't argue over it.

The 8800 is not available in 1GB Versions.

That's really the only difference, but i want 1GB, so I'm gonna go 9800.

Besides, there's almost no price difference.

And my Gigabyte version is pre-OC'd and has a custom heatsink. For $15 more than the 512MB 9800 and $35 more than the 512MB 8800.

Wow.

Ref 9800GT design isn't either. Gigabyte must have just swaped the mem chips. Doesn't take away that all the other things are identical and as I've said previously, you won't need 1GB of mem for games. And at the settings you do need it, the GPU will be to weak (or the CPU will bottleneck the system)

And my Gigabyte version is pre-OC'd and has a custom heatsink. For $15 more than the 512MB 9800 and $35 more than the 512MB 8800.

Well, fine. Get it. I answered your question didn't I?

Ref 9800GT design isn't either. Gigabyte must have just swaped the mem chips. Doesn't take away that all the other things are identical and as I've said previously, you won't need 1GB of mem for games. And at the settings you do need it, the GPU will be to weak (or the CPU will bottleneck the system)

Well, fine. Get it. I answered your question didn't I?

Yes you did. Memory Sharing is pretty much useless. Doesn't mean I won't try it, but at least I know it likely won't help, so I won't be dissapointed when I don't see much of a difference, if any.

And, I stated my reasoning of why I am going with a 9800GT. This forum was not meant to have people convince me to get an 8800GT or an ATI Radeon HD 4850/4870.

Recap: (9800GT vs. 8800GT)

Barely More Expensive

Custom Heatsink

Twice as much memory (For video encoding)

k,fine.

Compare this to that.

And if i were you, i'll take this.

5 dollars cheaper and better.

Proof.

bestgfxam8.jpg

Also, im against Nvidia's.They're too god damn big.

I am not taking a Radeon. Fuck them.

And I am taking a Gigabyte 9800.

Compared to PNY 8800GT:

$50 more expensive

Custom Heatisnk

Factory Overclocked to 700MHz

1GB RAM

The RAM is huge for me, I do lots of video encoding. As I said, it's not all about games for me.

The Custom Heatsink helps a lot too. I can push my OC farther, when 3 years in the future, it is a crappy card.

And to me, twice as much VRAM will make me pay an extra $50. Especially if it's an NVIDIA 9 Series.

And that is not the 9800 I'm getting. Mine had 1800MHz Memory (That was 1500) and Mine has 700MHz GPU (That was 500)

P.S., this forum was not for convincing me to get a different card.

Edited by raybob95

ATi probably are better when it comes to performace, well that's what I know atleast from other members here.

To be honest, why the hell would you have 8GB of RAM when you're not even going to be using most of it? Why don't you lower it down, and buy yourself a much better graphics card then that? I mean seriously, you can still do heavy multi-tasking even on 4GB of RAM, along with what other stuff you do as well.

ATi probably are better when it comes to performace, well that's what I know atleast from other members here.

To be honest, why the hell would you have 8GB of RAM when you're not even going to be using most of it? Why don't you lower it down, and buy yourself a much better graphics card then that? I mean seriously, you can still do heavy multi-tasking even on 4GB of RAM, along with what other stuff you do as well.

Because my RAM is only $120.

To get 4GB, would be like $80.

And how much better of a GPU could I get for $40?

Edited by raybob95

From what I've seen with these topics, you ask for help, then shoot it down with ignorance. You have to learn to look past face-value numbers, because those aren't always a proper representation of the device.

Furthermore, someone DO tell me, is the 9800GT a gaming card? If so, why the FUCK are you getting it if you don't really care about gaming? If you're doing video encoding((which I doubt you'd need a powerful card, because I highly doubt you're doing anything advanced)), then why not get a card designed to do that? Again, you're only looking at the 1GB of video RAM. The actual structure of the cards are designed different. You'd never want to buy a 1GB GPU made for CAD or shit like that and try to use it for video gaming. Wouldn't really help you.

From what I've seen with these topics, you ask for help, then shoot it down with ignorance. You have to learn to look past face-value numbers, because those aren't always a proper representation of the device.

Furthermore, someone DO tell me, is the 9800GT a gaming card? If so, why the FUCK are you getting it if you don't really care about gaming? If you're doing video encoding((which I doubt you'd need a powerful card, because I highly doubt you're doing anything advanced)), then why not get a card designed to do that? Again, you're only looking at the 1GB of video RAM. The actual structure of the cards are designed different. You'd never want to buy a 1GB GPU made for CAD or shit like that and try to use it for video gaming. Wouldn't really help you.

1) This topic was do discuss if it is possible to share VRAM. Not about Video Cards, and convincing me to get an ATI, or something else.

2) I never said I don't care about gaming, just said it's not priority #1. I will be playing GTAIV and Flight Simulator.

3) I am out of budget, and can't get a better card. And I hate ATI.

Ati 4870

Buy it, use it and be done with it.

No.

And this topic really should be closed now that we've come to a conclusion about VRAM Sharing.

Edited by raybob95

You said what?

Like everyone knows that Nvidia has been dominating the Graphics Market since end 2006. Ever since then, the fastest solution has been provided by Nvidia. But yes, it comes at a price. Like the fastest you can get at the moment is tri-SLI GTX 285, which should cost you about 1400 USD (just a rough estimate, based on 370 EUR per card, which is actually pretty cheap. Expect it to cost a little more).

But ATi has provided the mainstream market with good performing cards for a cheap price (HD 3xxx serie), and lately even high-end performing ones with a even cheaper price (HD 4xxx serie). You can get a HD 4870 in CF for just 400 EUR in Holland, which is an excellent price.

BTW, I wouldn't pay 50 USD more for a card that's factory OC'd and has got 512 MB more. The Memory interface is still the same, it might even end up a bit slower at times (except for extremely high-resolutions) and the OC isn't worth it. I'd rather do that myself.

But it's your choice really.. it isn't a bad deal or anything.

And I hate ATI.

I love Nvidia, but I really don't have any reason to hate ATi/AMD. They're a good company, are fair to customers and thanks to them, NVidia has been forced to lower their rediculous prices. I'm quite happy that there's a company like ATi.