[DOC] Opera Mini fix for Nokia Series 40 phones

Huckleberry Pie

OK, so I was pissed off. Really, really pissed off, when my phone refused to connect to the internets via Opera Mini.

I have a Nokia 6233, which runs on Series 40, Third Edition. Nokia made a lot of changes in the interface, of which it added some functionality, and some epic design failures. One of which are access point settings. Starting with S40 3rd Ed phones, you can't specify a proxy when you make a new Access Point via the manual settings. Anyone unfortunate enough to be a T-Mobile or those with WAP network plans (such as TMobileWeb users, Airtel NOP users) are unable to use J2ME programs that require internet access (such as Opera Mini, Google Maps, or games which involve online access).

I dunno, but it seems as though Globe Telecom was a bit piss-poor at implementing its Over-The-Air connection settings; it turns out that the config files they're assimilating to end-users have something missing, therefore making it difficult for them to connect using Opera.

A workaround is to make your own provision file (which is the same stuff used by service providers to distribute configuration settings to their customers). I compiled an archive here; there's another archive containing a bunch of provision files for several telecom providers.

1. I made a custom .prov file for my telecom provider; you may edit it by opening the NokiaJAVAProxy.wml using a text editor.
  2. Save your changes, and then run SPARTA.BAT (I named it after the Greek kingdom out of randomness... :P).
  3. Send the .prov file to your phone via Bluetooth (either by dongle, or by transferring the file to another phone, then BT'ing it to the target phone).
  4. The phone will then recognise the configuration settings, and will prompt you to save them. Don't worry if it says "no supported applications".
  5. Go to Settings->Configuration->Default Config. Settings, and change the default config to [the name of the configuration we just loaded].
  6. That's it! JAVA midlets like Opera Mini, Google Maps, and all them J2ME online apps should work now.

God Bless and enjoy... = )

P.S.: Oh. and if you're too lazy to edit the config file yourself, kindly post a comment here. Tell me your handset model, the country in which it is based, and the service provider you're subscribed to, e.g.: Nokia 6300, Globe Telecom-Philippines, or something like that, OK?

NINJA EDIT: Here's a sample config file that you may edit for your service provider:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE wap-provisioningdoc PUBLIC "-//WAPFORUM//DTD PROV 1.0//EN" 
"http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/prov.dtd"> 
<wap-provisioningdoc version="1.0">

<!-- This WML doc created by Ravi Mathur, May 11 2007 -->
<!-- HowardForums username: ravidavi -->

<characteristic type="BOOTSTRAP"> 
   <!-- Name of the configuration -->
   <parm name="NAME" value="MyGlobe CONNECT"/>
 </characteristic> 

<!-- Defines how network access occurs -->
 <characteristic type="ACCESS">
   <parm name="RULE" value="Default Rule"/>

<!-- Connect through specified proxy -->
   <parm name="TO-PROXY" value="www.globe.com.ph"/>
 </characteristic>

<!-- Defines proxy parameters -->
 <characteristic type="PXLOGICAL">
   <parm name="PROXY-ID" value="www.globe.com.ph"/>
   <parm name="NAME" value="myGlobe CONNECT"/>
   <characteristic type="PXPHYSICAL">
     <parm name="PHYSICAL-PROXY-ID" value="www.globe.com.ph"/>
     <parm name="PXADDR" value="203.177.42.214"/>
     <parm name="PXADDRTYPE" value="IPV4"/>
     <parm name="PUSHENABLED" value="0"/>
     <characteristic type="PORT">
<parm name="PORTNBR" value="8080"/>
     </characteristic>

<!-- Connect through specified access point -->
     <parm name="TO-NAPID" value="www.globe.com.ph"/>
   </characteristic>
 </characteristic>

<!-- Defines Network Access Point (NAP) parameters -->
 <characteristic type="NAPDEF">
   <parm name="NAPID" value="www.globe.com.ph"/>
   <parm name="NAME" value="myGlobe CONECT"/>
   <parm name="BEARER" value="GSM-GPRS"/>
   <parm name="NAP-ADDRESS" value="www.globe.com.ph"/>
   <parm name="NAP-ADDRTYPE" value="APN"/>
   <characteristic type="NAPAUTHINFO">
     <!-- PAP is "normal" authentication -->
     <parm name="AUTHTYPE" value="PAP"/>
   </characteristic>
 </characteristic>

</wap-provisioningdoc>

Simply change the values to reflect those of your telco's, and that's it! No more failed J2ME WAP connections...

REFERENCES:

http://mobitricks.blogspot.com/2008/06/key...cess-point.html

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/sh...ad.php?p=436439

Edited by Huckleberry Pie