Husky and I troll a scammer

OK, so I've received a spam message from a conman, and he sent me this:

Federal Republic of Nigeria,

Foreign Payments (Contract/Inheritance Dept.)

From the desk of: Mr. James Mbe.

Director of Payments, Asorock Villa Annex office,

Lagos-Nigeria.

Tel/Fax: +234-80-51586093

Attn: Beneficiary.

This is to officially notify you that your delayed contract/Lottery/Inheritance payment has finally been approved to be paid to you within the next 48 hours. This instruction came to our office to contact you immediately for the transfer of your approved amount to your designated bank account without any further delay.

This office oversees and approves all foreign payments coming out from Europe, Africa, Asia and sometimes USA. Our job is to make sure that beneficiary's funds are remitted to them within 48 hours once they have completed the requirements via our approved banks.

Just few hours ago, a man by name Mr. Tim Mallett contacted our office informing us that you have given him instruction and authority to receive the approved US$27,900,000.00 (Twenty Seven Million Nine Hundred Thousand US Dollars Only) on your behalf. According to him, he said that you asked him to represent you in receiving this amount also he forwarded an account where your funds should be transferred to immediately.

Here is the information he forwarded to us below:

Tim Mallett

G&T Volunteers

370 Lacroix Street

Chatham, Ontario Canada

N7M 2W3

TD Canada Trust

255 King Street at 3rd

Chatham, Ontario Canada N7M 1E6

Account# 0011-6243094

Transit & Branch # 060-00112-004

We want you to confirm to us immediately if you at any time instructed the above person to receive this amount on your behalf and if NOT, you are requested to immediately confirm to us your CORRECT details for an immediate transfer of the above sum into your nominated bank account as approved by the Government .

Your Full name....................

Full address......................

Tel & Fax No......................

Bank name.........................

Address..........................

Tel & Fax No....................

Routing No......................

Account No.....................

Upon receipt of your confirmation, we shall immediately process your payment documents and forward it to our approved paying Bank to carry out your transfer within the next 48 hours after processing. If you sent this man, do reconfirm also to enable us process the payment and carry out transfer to him without any further delay.

We will appreciate your urgent response and confirmation as this office has been given until two weeks to carry out all approved payments or return them as unclaimed funds. Note that the earlier you respond to this message, the better as all modalities have been put in place for immediate transfer of the above sum into your account

Thanking you for letting us serve you better.

Yours faithfully,

Mr. James Mbe

Director of Foreign Payments

Asorock Villa, Lagos Annex Office, Nigeria

Normally we either delete or mark them as spam, but I decided to troll or report them to the feds out of boredom. I then provided them with spoofed details:

Here are my full details:

Full name: Samuel Leo Fisher

620 York Road Towson, MD 21286, USA

Tel/Fax: 410-555-8062

Bank: Bank of America

Address: 1ST FLOOR, TOWSON, MD 21204-0000

Tel & Fax No: (410) 555-7070

Routing No: 2520476998

Account No: 622-7896-2240-6969

I'll be there at my residence as soon as possible.

They then responded with this:

Attention: Samuel Leo Fisher,

This is to acknowledge receipt of your mail and the content well noted. we wish to thank you for your quick response to our mail as you have saved us from embarrassment and also from losing a large sum of money by making the mistake of transferring your contract/Inheritance payment to the wrong person. I want to assure you that your funds will be transferred to your nominated account immediately.

We advise you to stop every dealings with anybody concerning this transaction to avoid duplication of information, we want to let you know that Mr. Tim Mallett and his group will be arrested as we have asked him to come back for the transfer to commence.

I demand that you call me immediately on this number +234-70-41797975 for more details.

Do help us serve you better by responding to this message promptly.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully,

Mr. James Mbe

Director of Foreign Payments

Me and Husky discussed it and we decided to post it here. The only thing left to do is either to report them or worse, rickroll them scammers. I dunno if this is the right place to share my experience, but what do you think?

Edited by Huckleberry Pie

Not really trolling, see http://www.419eater.com/ for real scammer trolling.

Phone the number through skype or something, record the convo, say some funny shit etc.

No offense, but I don't have enough money for skyping him, so I decided to send a trojan (which, by the way, is a rickroll applet disguised as a Word document). No replies afterwards, and he must be having a hard time clicking OK on the message boxes.

* Note that I don't encourage hacking or sending malware on people. This was only done for entertainment and is not intended to launch a cyber-epidemic of sorts. We only troll scammers for the lulz.

Edited by Huckleberry Pie

Not really trolling, see http://www.419eater.com/ for real scammer trolling.

Phone the number through skype or something, record the convo, say some funny shit etc.

Holy crap on a cracker. Epic trolling right there... I just wasted nearly an hour reading up on one scam, roarsome. :)

Yeah I first found that site a couple of years ago and spent so long reading through various stories, listening to audio clips and watching videos of people fucking with the scammers, hilarious shit but I wasted so much time on that site :P